• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Info & Tips >> Using the AMD FX Bulldozer/Piledriver...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Work is still ongoing...

...what is happening when I quit at 2:55AM Tues morning.

Additions made concerning the 9xx chipset in #1 of first post.

Tweaking on going in #7 in first post about Overclocking in progress. Adjusting
the terminology before heading on to the O/Cing. Hoping all get it about terms.
RGone...ster.

Thanks for the bump 'bassnut'. Been a little slow getting to the write-up of the actual how to overclock an FX processor that the forum change and it screwing with some of my sentence length and look, put me off my feed. And then the 30th of Sept when you wrote the bump above was the day we were laying my Father to rest.

With all the pics and thank yous to get out and a video to compile and render, that I did of funeral services in two states since my Dad passed in a state where he would not be buried...well I been busy. I hope in a bit to get back to this thread and finish what I started. Again thanks for the bump.
RGone...ster.

I don't have time to read this now so I'm subsribing, but thanks for this goldmine of info RGone. :D :thup:

EDIT: Just read the post above before heading out, and I had to say I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my dad last November. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your loved ones during this time. Peace, RGone.

Thanks for the bump 'bassnut'. Been a little slow getting to the write-up of the actual how to overclock an FX processor that the forum change and it screwing with some of my sentence length and look, put me off my feed. And then the 30th of Sept when you wrote the bump above was the day we were laying my Father to rest.

With all the pics and thank yous to get out and a video to compile and render, that I did of funeral services in two states since my Dad passed in a state where he would not be buried...well I been busy. I hope in a bit to get back to this thread and finish what I started. Again thanks for the bump.
RGone...ster.

Sorry to hear about your Dad passing on RGone ....... Deepest Condolence thoughts and prayers to you and your family at this time of Loss.

Not to shabby so far. wait till you put the coals to it. That 20c margin will shrink me thinks.

Not to shabby so far. wait till you put the coals to it. That 20c margin will shrink me thinks.

Whale I m tasting 4.3Ghz rat now and all the too temps went uppen was tree duhgreze each one. So one hour an me is at 4.3Ghz wit CPU Temp of 51c and at air Core/Packing temp uv 41see. I hain't scaret yate. Hehehe.
RGone...sterskizzzzzzzzzzzzz

Thanks for the drivers. I am going ahead to find out iffen can dew 4.5Ghz plus or not before I REtry raid shett. I may well have to get my big, but older, rad out and go W/C iffen I cannot get 4.5 or 4.6Ghz. Hehehe.

Thanks man.
RGoneBobertski...sterzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

No probs bud. Good luck. Hope you don't need all the extra equipment. Ya know you might as well start pulling it out now. 4.5 won't be enough.

"johan" suspects I will have to go water to get my 4.6Ghz...

You go to this link and down to the fourth 'spoiler' and just aove it and you will see what I just went thru in DOING an overclock with my experiment in Air Cooling like most buy to try and push an FX 8 core or even a 6 core FX processor. And the quality of the cpu makes a big difference. There is a speed limit and knowing such can save one serious gray hair. Self tweaking and thinking is utmost to success when things must be balanced to get cpu speed which is 95% of the time the KING.

Got around to talking about overclocking as I just experienced it.

RGone...ster.

4.6Ghz may be in reach now...

...but 4.56Ghz was reached. Not sure if I need to waste anymore time right now looking for 40Mhz more. Hooking up one of my rads and D5 pump would likely be the next thing I move to, but I need to be editting and rendering some video.

At the link below I finally broke down and tried write-out the methodolgy I used to finally conquer my goal of 4.5Ghz with just a C-Type air cooler. I am sure I will be satisfied for at least 4 or 5 days. Hehehe.
RGone...ster.

How I finally put my head back on pointed mostly forward. Hehehe.

Nice work man ! I see the down cooler must indeed help the "socket" temps. If I glean correctly that would be CPU in OCCT and it's just a few degrees above the core.
I was mostly implying that 4.5 wouldn't be enough for you so you might as well grab your gear and go for the moon but it appears you may have a bit of a "piggy" on your hands. That V_Core looks awful familiar to me from my adventures.

Gonester, nice write up as usual, a few of the pointers you made will be really helpful. The few that stand out to me were, the issue with needing more Cpu Nb Voltage to run the Nb Freq up at 2600 sounds familiar. The ones I feel that were really important, especially for a new OCer are:

Establish a stable baseline.
and
when something isn't working
I do nOt go to thrashing around changing this or that or the other so that I am lost.

Thanks "manny" and "johan"...

...thanks for looking. So little AMD traffic going on right now. I cannot afford Intel right now and have a couple of 8 core FX processors and can use them for what I do without losing anything. My mindset anyway. Hehehe.

A lot of time has gone bye since I had decided to make this huge arse thread. I had wanted to try with emphasis on try to write about overclocking an FX processor, but I just let other things get in the way. Then this "exercise" in futility thingie took the stage. It is no fun to see the stress tester fail within seconds. Hehehe. Then see the stress test fail at the 2 minute mark. Time after time. That was the clue that at first I disregarded. At my own peril and for much consuming of time.

When one throws some voltage at an FX processor and nothing good happens, it is time to stop right then and look somewhere else rather than just focusing on Cpu Voltage. But it had been awhile since I had fooled with my FX stuff. That caused me to miss that first tell tale clue. Well a clue before that even when it was too too easy to get 4.3Ghz stable without having to adjust Vcore upward by any significant amount. That is a low-leakage acting cpu and will not likely respond well unless COOLED pretty well.

The FX clues were all being laid out but I was like many and fixated on Cpu Voltage which was doing NO good. Hard headed me.

Hard-headed me. I have tried to refrain from referring too much to a specific motherboard model or brand. At least I tried to refrain from saying too much about my knowing that the mobo is a huge part of how well an overclocking exercise will turn out. There are a couple of motherboards that I have confidence in. The Asus CHV series and their Sabertooth 990FX series. I also have confidence in the Asrock top tier of AM3+ mobos for overclockiing the FX 6 and 8 core processors. Those four boards can supply the power to an FX cpu without issue. No clean and quick responding VRM circuit makes FX 6 and 8 core overclocking a pain for sure. KNOWING that my semi-piggy FX-8350 was plugged into a good CHV so my confidence did not lag that I was missing any of the menu options that I would need to tweak a piggy on up to a reasonable speed. Without confidence there is little chance for overclocking success. You have to believe and wisely so that you can overclock. Get good parts and pieces from the beginning. Know that what you buy must have the ability to withstand at least 2 hours of P95 Blend mode at the speed you 'think' you will attain. CheapO parts and pieces seldom can do that with FX 6 and 8 core cpus.

At least this long arse thread has some information in it that should build an overclocker's confidence and also to point out what has a better chance of success and where it is just too too iffy to tread. Perhaps too iffy for me to spend my money and expect good results. Careful thought and logic before, during and all thru setup and overclock process are the true keys to an overclock with success. I am every day when dealing with FX 8 core cpus, glad I went with the best motherboard money could buy when I first bought and that I had some big water from the beginning since big water is the best to have for a really good overclock on FX-8350 class cpus.

Now for the rest of the story. This little piggie is aptly named. It is used from one who has poured voltage at a cpu. Names not mentioned to protect the guilty. Hehehe. Early this morning after all my effort, I remembered this cpu had been in my hands once before and I forgot that it had piggie tendencies back then when on beeg water. I tested it once and sent it back to the anonEmoose owner after deciding it was the cpu and not "his" board or skills that were the reason to deem this FX-8350 as a 'lil-ole-piggie'. Now that it is actually mine, it is funny to think back on my efforts with it nearly 1.5 years ago. Lil Piggie masquerading as an awesome FX-8350. What a hoot. Now I feel much better that I am now stable on C-Type air cooler at 4.556Ghz. Long live the skills gained from much overclocking.

Over and out all.
RBobertGone...sterskizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I had wondered if that CPU had been a bit close to the evuclear! Probably the only thing that makes it dance.

Back