• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Info & Tips >> Using the AMD FX Bulldozer/Piledriver...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
WOWEE allot to read there gonster ........ gotta run now but will be back later for a look n see.

WOWEE allot to read there gonster ........ gotta run now but will be back later for a look n see.

Mr. BassCrazy, you likely know as much as I have written altogether. You have shown me more than I could ever show you. Will never forget your walk-thru water cooling builds and your normal daily FX 8 core speed of 4.9Ghz. You don't do that and need to read what I have tried to put up for the newer overclocker and FX user. Oh yes I clock anything from one core to 8 cores with the same logical process. So many think the process changes because they have a different board or Intel Vs AMD but the logical process of overclocking is always the same as you know.

Yes it is a lot to read. Probably too much. Most want it from a drive-thru. I could not go into the drive-thru until I had spent much time gaining experience. Real experience. Years of it now as yourself. i know some guys that come and go thru here that have forgotten more than I wrote. That is tough but true. I only tried to leave something for those that have what it takes to really do the overclocking deal and not just have numbers handed to them., That is not overclocking. Hehehe.

As always, RGone...ster.

i know some guys that come and go thru here that have forgotten more than I wrote. That is tough but true.
QFT Rgonster and sometimes even we all need a "oh yeah" moment when we re read something that may have been forgotten. You know I take notes on all my chips when I'm pushin them. I can't count the times I've been struggling with something I haven't pushed hard in a while and I look back at the notes and the see something I have forgotten. You know the youngtimers disease :D. We all cumulatively help one another as a whole, at times, some more then others. Threads like this are really helpful for the ones that have been bitten by the bug and really want to learn and also the ones that have been here for a while. Thanks Rbobgonester!

Got "Exercise in Futility" aKa VidEdit together and my 4.6Ghz...

...Raid 0 kicked my arse. Later Raid 0 and some water likely.
RGone...ster.

Last Spoiler on linked page and text above are where am at to go on with the video editting that am far behind in doing.

Spoiler #6 I went back and made some form of index for that post. The green spoiler and # refer to the spoiler and text just above it, since the spoiler follows the text. Maybe a little easier to find the latest EDIT to that long post.
RGone...Again.

I have not taken the time to read this thread to completion yet, but I must say RGone yet another gem! Im excited to see that there are still new topics around the AMD BD architecture, and hopefully when I do get some free time to catch up Ill learn a few new tricks for beating my systems down.

So that sumbeech still wouldn't work for ya eh? Were those drives in a raid on another board previously ? I have found that unless I break the array on the initial board and then do the secure erase to the ssd it just won't play nice with me.

So that sumbeech still wouldn't work for ya eh? Were those drives in a raid on another board previously ? I have found that unless I break the array on the initial board and then do the secure erase to the ssd it just won't play nice with me.

I broke so many arrays and secure erased SSD and Full Erased so many HDDs that I was seeing the slow arse bar to completion in my dreams. Hehehe. Swapped to another board but still the same thing. I think it is my copy of Win 7 since some said the Digital River downloads had some problems just like I was having. The issue of not loading drivers for X64 O/s was rampant and more so if you had an AMD system.

I am going to have to get time to mount the WIM and go in and disable driver signing and slipstream the raid drivers, for me to use Raid 0 it seems. As many workarounds as I tried, it seems certain it is my Win 7 install on Usb stick that is the problem.

I will say that it is so nice to have some horsepower at this other house. Shett shett it is fine. Got some amplified speakers here now to listen to some sounds and the internet over here is 3 times as fast as the basic stuff over at other place as I was turning things off and down to save money.

I have about got all the setup for idling at 1.6Ghz and jumping to 4.6Ghz completed and then I can surf at 1.6Ghz and only go to 4.6Ghz if I really put a load on it. I forgot that I have the fan on the cpu cooler on a rheostat and not board controlled and instead of the fan being at 2400RPM when I was running P95 for stability...it was only running at 1800RPM, so heat was not as bad as I was thinking. Hehehe. Lame ole faht had forgotten to speed up the cpu cooler fan but it still managed the 4.6Ghz so that is still good.

I have about decided that the C-Type cooler with all these cases now that want to blow in from the side door would work okay. Like I said I had this case and some parts for 5 years sitting in their boxes. Went back and read reviews on C-Type coolers of the day and there were two or three rated slightly better. If I had a Noctua C-Type on this FX-8350 and this beeg-arse fan on side door blowing into it...well I might be a little better off, but this is not my rig for moon-shooting anyway. Hehehe. I have got to build a bench around the wall of one of the rooms over here to put up the moon-shooter.
RGone...ster.
RGone...ster.

Seems like that's the only solution Bobert. Maybe somewhere it has gotten a bit corrupted since I assume you had used it before without any issues. I know what you mean about that progress bar. Aren't you glad it wasn't a couple TB that you were erasing! So, since you realized you have a bit more headroom in that fan of yours are you gonna milk it for a few more megasquirts?

So, since you realized you have a bit more headroom in that fan of yours are you gonna milk it for a few more megasquirts?

MEGASQUIRTS???

Humh? The age ole question. How many squirts is enough any-who? I have both "age" and "ole" well in hand so I am debating bout em'air MagluhSquirtz. Hehehe.

I had been using my Video software with an ATI video card and when I swapped in my NV 770 card and moved to the newer version of my Vid software, the render time dropped another 30% and that at only 4.5Ghz on the bad boy that I did not check to even see how fast it was running. That too without 16Gig of ram that I will put into this one before I start the vid editting. So not 2 shore iffen ole faht needs 2 many moe MegluhSquirts. Hehehe.
RBobertGone...sterskiMSQtszzzzzzzzzzz

I was just curious. Do you notice any difference in video quality with CUDA in the mix?

I was just curious. Do you notice any difference in video quality with CUDA in the mix?

No "johan" I cannot tell there is a lessening of quality in the 'rendered' video. I think i wrote about in the link where I started the Exercise in Futility at the beginning or it was in talking to "jshakes" about his video editting, but I upgraded quite substantially in program 'versions' for this go at vid editting. I was using a version 2.xx of "free" NCH VideoPad and this go will be version 3.7x so quite a jump in version. Almost all $600+ video software has used Cuda or Avisio for awhile. Now the $100.00 software is using GPU to render as well.

So there are substantial changes with Video Edit Software and am not sure just saying Cuda is okay is fully accurate, but I see no issues with the latest Edit/Renders with my later version of software being assisted by Cuda. i will say though it is way fast. Especially so from a year ago when I started rendering on 8 cores of 1156 @ 4.0Ghz. FX 8 cores will tote the mail for me anyway WITH the software I use.

The only thing that I think that I see is that 4.3Ghz is fast. 4.5Ghz was faster. On big boy at 4.8Ghz it was faster still. So since I cannot reach 4.8Ghz here on Exercise in Futility VidEdit rig...well not without W/Cing, I am going to stay at 4.6Ghz until I finish this batch of Editting I am getting behind with. What I was trying to say with the 4.3/4.5/4.8Ghz thing was that struggling for only a 100Mhz does not seem worth it to me. If current setup would JUMP to 4.8Ghz...then hale yeah. Hehehe.
RGone...ster.MSQsZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

That's good Boberts, I've always heard that "some" feel the CUDA isn't up to par because of the x264 not being coded properly to take advantage of the GFX. Trust me I have no idea what I'm talking about it's just bits and pieces I have picked up in threads. So I just wanted a real world opinion.

We, you and I all FEEL...

I was advised that a number of links in this thread were no longer valid. I have gone thru this #55 Post and tested every link and RE-arranged as necessary.
2:59AM Nov 5, 2015. RGone...

That's good Boberts, I've always heard that "some" feel the CUDA isn't up to par because of the x264 not being coded properly to take advantage of the GFX. Trust me I have no idea what I'm talking about it's just bits and pieces I have picked up in threads. So I just wanted a real world opinion.

Maybe FEEL is the operative pointer here. Hehehe.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...d-app-nvidia-cuda-intel-quicksync,2839-3.html
Video Transcoding Examined: AMD, Intel, And Nvidia In-Depth
By Andrew KuFebruary 6, 2011 9:00 PM

Of course when someone asks me a question and one that overall, I have spent little time considering...I must go and do some checking. If for no other reason than to give me ole faht brain something else to consider.

I thought surely that with the two testing articles above having been done in 2011, that by today in late 2014, there would be some real leaps forward or at least crawling forward. Not really so it seems on searching.

However searching did cause me to look at what the hale it is we are trying to do and with 'what'. Interestingly there is work to be done by cpu vs the gpu. Then perhaps the easiest thing to remember is to understand the difference between a CPU and GPU is to compare how they process tasks. A CPU consists of a few cores optimized for sequential serial processing while a GPU has a massively parallel architecture.

Well I will just be shett. Ain't freeken Video by its' very nature serial? One frame after another on a timeline? Shett shett. From the start up that means it is going to take some magic or slight of hand or uber programming to deal with real serial data and handle it with parallel processors. To hear it told after the best testing that can be done or tried to be done...it seems all the offload to GPU-ish processing has issues. No 'branding' withstanding.

So at this juncture with what little my brain can absorb...if the video looks presentable to me and those that wish to have and see the video...well it is good enough for me. I am not doing a movie for release thru MGM or Sony. Hehehe.
RBobertGone...sterskiMSQszzzzzzzzzzz

Last edited:
That was my take on it as well Bobert, that yes you may lose "some" quality in the recode but for old fawts it don't really matter since the time saving more than make up for what our old eyes can't see anyway.

STUCK on recommendation. This is a superb thread RGone, well done...and thank you!

It is considerate to try and give something back to the forum overall. Thank you for your consideration.
RGone...

Now you're gonna have to behave with paparazzi chasing you around. Ha ha
It's a job well done man and deserves some attention.
Congrats!

Back