• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Info & Tips >> Using the AMD FX Bulldozer/Piledriver...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks for those pictures, the most interesting is 1200mhz Ram accompanied by a regular standard cpu overclock.

And this type of Ram Oc requires recommended IC PSC correct?

What about some less expensive sticks, average cpu clocks and high memory speeds? I found my 2133 corsair kit to be pretty stable until it starts reaching 1300. Ive not taken the Memory past 1.65v, so instead run a looser latency like 11-13-13 for example.

Is the recommendation for ram volts as well? Does the Cpu/Nb voltage actually help Cas loose or not?

And lastly HT speeds. Would we recommend lowering this as the motherboard seems to do while on auto¿ Or would a higher HT, say 3ghz cause stability issues or just aim no higher than 2.6ghz.

Forgive me for the questions. I game with most of my very little free time and would like a head start for running 1300mhz ram freq or higher for daily uses.

AMD is overclocking better at lower RAM capacity so 2x2GB > 2x4GB > 2x8GB. It's probably because weak memory controllers. You can use 32GB without issues but not at high clock.

TridentX/Samsung 2x4GB was working good up to 2400. I don't remember if I was checking it higher. The main issue at higher clocks is stability and I mean like it can pass every benchmark or longer stability test and it will will randomly crash once per day playing games etc. Even though I reached ~3100 memory clock on AMD, I couldn't make memory 100% stable above 2400 regardless of used IC, voltages etc.

Anyway memory on FX is not scalling good above ~2000 or maybe it's not scalling at all not much above that clock. When you reach 2133-2400 stable then much better is to tighten the timings than try to set higher memory clock.

I also noticed that my FX rigs simply hated high density Micron modules. Like 2x4GB = 2000 CL7-7-7 but 2x8GB = 1600 max even though on Intel the same sticks could make 2133 9-9-9 1.50V.

I haven't noticed that CPU-NB was helping in timings or anything else except much higher memory bandwidth. When I was testing HT clock then it was not helping at all but recently I see some forum members posting results where it actually helps. Since it's easy to OC then why not to set it higher.

I have no FX for over a year so can't answer all questions. Maybe I will get it again when prices drop ... to like $3 per CPU :D

New VidEdit Rig...

Okay back some posts ago I made mention of UnRealized Expectations aKa VidEdit rig. As I have thought back and done some troubleshooting as I attempted upgrade to the Original VidEdit. I ran into problems with Freeken Crucial MX-100 SSDs n0t being compatible with AMD Raid. Forken me running.

So had to order new SSD drives and got the Kingston HyperX Fury since one "Johan45" said they worked with his AMD Raid. Said well I have got to order some stuff...might as well build me a new rig and let the wife have the 6 mo old VidEdit rig. I had to to some mobo swapping around and in the process of taking a month to find out the Crucial MX-100s would not work with AMD Raid...I bought a new Asus CHV-Z board and now it will go in my NEW VidEdit rig and I put the Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional in what is to be the wife's rig and put FX-8120 in place of the FX-8350 that had resided in Original VidEdit on CHV-Z loaner board.

Just remember there is a CHV-Z going into the NEW VidEdit rig. I had the board built up outside of case and could not get to it for pics...well to lay it out in the pics below.

I am reserving some post locations as I intend to put up some bench results etc and don't want to run out of room.

There is also the possible pump and too thick radiator to tend to yet. So may need room for showing measuring and restructuring to get possible push/pull of 360 rad setup in top of Phanteks Enthoo LUXE.

RGone...

DSCF001.JPG

More Pics Inside Spoiler

Last edited:
First Bench...

...Crucial MX-100 drives lost me so much time finding out they were not compatible with AMD Raid. Gawd so much time. So I ordered two 2 Kingston Fury Drives that Johan45 recommended. No Shett they work with AMD Chipset raid. Hallelujah.

RGone...

EDIT:
Crap this thing is fast to open apps and just work with anything I tell the mouse to let me do. Much pleased with the two Fury's in Raid 0. Be a bit before I get to test Video editting since this was just a minimal install on top of mobo box. Hehehe.

AS SSD 2xFury.gif

Last edited:
This ought to be good. I love the Phanteks Enthoo's and the Luxe is probably the one I'll go for for my next build too. One question, why water cooled this time? I know your last videdit build you wanted air cooled specificly. Is this so you can get a higher OC?

Looking GOOD RGone looking forward to this build that case looks interesting will be nice to see how the build comes together for you. Hope your rad works out for you.

Nice lokin box Bobert ! Looks like it'll work, might be a squeeze for the rad but I know you can do it. :thup:

Thanks guys...

...watercooling so like bassnut, I can run the 4.8/4.9GHz more easily all day and every day for video editting. I put the "Exercise in Futility" together and *had* to go with a C-type cooler due to the size of the case I had on hand. Case that had set in its' box for at least 6 years unused. Well I used it. Now to move it to 'wife' for her use (off laptop) and put together something that will do the deed without worry about so much heat for video editting. I have to say that Original VidEdit did the job; I guess, alright enough but you know how it is when you know that last 150MHz on the cpu will be a very sweet spot. Hehehe.

Makes excellent sense this 'work/money' for 150MHz but even though older now, I still have OC blood in veins. Hehehe.

RGone...sterskizzzzzzzzzzzzzz. :bang head:bump:

...Crucial MX-100 drives lost me so much time finding out they were not compatible with AMD Raid. Gawd so much time. So I ordered two 2 Kingston Fury Drives that Johan45 recommended. No Shett they work with AMD Chipset raid. Hallelujah.

RGone...

EDIT:
Crap this thing is fast to open apps and just work with anything I tell the mouse to let me do. Much pleased with the two Fury's in Raid 0. Be a bit before I get to test Video editting since this was just a minimal install on top of mobo box. Hehehe.

View attachment 163676

Somehow these results are low. Have you enabled cache write back and read ahead ? This is lower than I had on 2x 64GB Crucial M4 in R0 on GB 990FX-UD5. Some 990FX boards have problems with RAID ROM and cache options are disabled. No cache = 10-30% lower performance depends what you do.

These Phanteks cases are pretty nice for the money. The only issue which I had with mine was front fan. It was simply loud and I turned it off. Actually I was thinking to get something micro ATX or ITX ... and I got that Enthoo case.

Last edited:
Okay again into the gauntlet...

I was advised that a number of links in this thread were no longer valid. I have gone thru this #118 Post and tested every link and RE-arranged as necessary.
3:11AM Nov 5, 2015. RGone...

...or am I just crazy and who cares? I began this long thread Aug 22 of 2014. That is less than a year ago. With AMD having nOt released any truly new Discrete FX processors in nearly three (3) years, you would think everything would have settled down by now. NOT. Well n0t exactly.

Well RGone what the heck is "n0t exactly". Not exactly means that the motherboard manufacturers have brought out some newer AM3+ motherboards over the last 10mos or so.

Gigabyte has played, let me make revisions to all my AMD AM3+ motherboards and force customers to wish they had bought the next greatest revision. Many of their more popular AM3+ mobos that use the AMD 9xx chipset have gone from revision 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 3.0, 4.0, 4.1 and now to boards with an R5 in the actual name of the motherboard. Like xxx-UD5 R5 or similar. Wowee.

MSI has come with later AM3+ motherboards that are revisions of their original G45, G65 and G80 motherboards as indicated by the more knowledgable MSI board afficianados. The later series of MSI AM3+ motherboards now have "GAMING" in their motherboard model name. Wowee.

Asus brought out an R2.0 version of most of their more poplular boards something like three (3) years ago to bring to bear better ram voltage regulation and minor changes to voltage regulation for the cpu and somewhat higher ram speed choices. The boards have basically held face from that time forward and done so extremely well in their two (2) big guns the Crosshair V series and the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0. Asus has been Asus and brought out many less costly boards to try and 'fit' the budget of just about any user. Regardless of the lesser boards ability to perform in a really overclocked condition.

So what RGone? Well it has been nearly or for all practical purposes, impossible to keep up with which Gigabyte AM3+ motherboards might best serve as a truly worthwhile overclocking platform. Way too many revisions to the boards handling the four (4) year old chipset and cpus that have changed little since the release of the BullDozer FX series in Oct 2011.

Additionally, the MSI boards now have all new "GAMING" names over the last year or so and the numbers of them appearing in these forums in the hands of ultra capapble users has not been enough yet to determine a base-line of suitability for some major overclocking endeavors. Maybe time will tell about this condition.

Well what the heck RGone? Are you just giving a history lesson? Yes and No. Well okay then what is the YES? The YES is that if you ignore history, then you will repeat the same situations over and even over again. So YES historically there was an effort made to get us as up to date as possible. Okay well then what the heck is the NO? The NO to history lesson alone revolves around some posts I have seen lately about AMDs release of Applicaiton Power Management (APM_en) with the FX processors and High Performance Computing (HPC). Oh I see. Has something changed? Again we are caught by the YES and NO. Crap RGone.

Here is what I said back when I began this thread.

Okay what does AMD themselves say? SECOND menu heading about information from the AMD FX Overclocking Guide. LOOK in Spoiler. In that wording is a mini-description of the newer APM setting which is Application Power Management. What does AMD say about APM and overclocking? It is there.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...r-Piledriver?p=7727139&viewfull=1#post7727139

And under MiSC stuff...I think and THIRD Spoiler...
Cpu Throttling for seemingly unknown reason. APM & HPC
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...r-Piledriver?p=7727140&viewfull=1#post7727140

Heck RGone, I am lazy and cannot be bothered to look up anything. So what did you say back there?
1. > AMD said to DISable APM for overclocking. So we suggested DISabling APM to reduce cpu like throttling.
2. > Bioses began to have HPC setting Enable/Disable available for user setting. Based on the definition of HPC, it was suggested to Enable HPC.

Okay so now what? Well if you own one Asus's big dog clockers, that would seem to remain true. BUT if you own one of Asus's less capable overclocking boards you might do better to keep APM enabled and HPC Disabled since the lesser boards use those settings to "save" themselves when hammered with very heavy loads requiring a lot of current from the cpu VRMs and thus increased heat.

If you DISabled TurboCore and in most situations this also DISabled APM on some Gigabyte AM3+ mobos and caused the double or Loop-Boot when starting up some Gigabyte AM3+ motherboards. Some revisions that exhibited the double-boot thing had bios releases that seemed to fix such double-booting as related by some users. So you had to pay close attention to which Gigabyte AM3+ mobo you were using and if there was a bios fix available to stop the double-boot when starting up some AM3+ motherboards with APM/TurboCore disabled.

As said above, there is not enough information on "later" MSI AM3+ motherboards to generate a reasonable base-line of information. Earlier MSI boards were little regarded due the exploding MOSFET reputation of earlier MSI AMD boards. So since we have not seen even enough later MSI boards to make up a 12 man jury...it is such that we cannot even hold court.

I was run over with the three board brands: Asus, Gigabyte and MSI when looking into this APM and HPC thing and found litle to say about Asrock AM3+ motherboards. I know that the Asock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional and likely the successor the 990FX EXT9 responded well to DISabling APM and Enabling HPC. Nuff said since we do not see many of the later Asrock mobos in the AMD Cpu and Motherboard forun sections here at OCF.

Okay, okay RGone, where are you going?
1.) > If you have throttling issues, then investigate DISabling APM and Enabling HPC if bios is so equipped. Lesser boards may not have either of these user adjustable settings in bios to "protect" the lesser boards under load by inducing some form of slowing to reduce load.

2.) > Cool or make that 'really' cool the motherboard VRM circuit section and REfrain from trying major overclocks on motherboards without VRM heat sinks.

3.) IF overclocking beyond a speed of say 4.2GHz on the cpu and it is a 6 or 8 core FX prcessor, you would do well to purchase motherboards with a VRM circuit with 8 + 2 phases and with heat sinks on the VRMs. Personally I prefer to make suggstions for average users on the 'conservative' side so that attaining some overclock is most obtainable. After all these are suggestions and people can purchase anything they wish to spend their money on, nevermind any obstacles they may encounter by going too cheap and wanting too much overclock.

In the "spoiler" below are links to articles, etc that I have looked into in supposing what I wrote above. The links should be in chronological order even if that will produce overlap.

1.) > AMD Bulldozer / FX-8150 Desktop Performance Review Oct 2011.

The ASUS Crosshair V motherboard has a LOT of power features and while I did use all of these, I certainly did not try all combinations of these. I am still looking for an "APM" setting in the BIOS. (And yes I did ask.) This particular APM setting is described by AMD as, "disable APM_Master_En (disables APM which may cause the CPU to throttle at full load)." I never could find this switch that actually kept cores from dropping off under load.

2.) > AMD FX CPU Throttling Fixes! Begin Jan 2012. Some Posts in thread year 2014.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1202751/amd-fx-cpu-throttling-fixes-please-sticky

Just dropping in to add that the Asus M5A78L/USB3 has the issue where you need to disable Turbo Core in AMD Overdrive to disable APM. Mar 2014. Post #84.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1202751/amd-fx-cpu-throttling-fixes-please-sticky/80#post_21929150

Same issue confirmed with my GA-78LMT-S2 rev. 1 (BIOS F6, latest) mobo. Nov 2014. Post #86.
Please, is there a way to fix this automatically? It's a real pain in the arse having to open Overdrive and then enabling/desabling Turbo Boost every frekking time...
http://www.overclock.net/t/1202751/amd-fx-cpu-throttling-fixes-please-sticky/80#post_23118556

3.) > AMD APM LOAD THROTTLING. Sept 2012.

No idea, but problems like these are why I don't buy gigabyte boards, such ****ty BIOS's... Are you sure they haven't called it something else in the BIOS?

4.) > What does AMD Application Power Management (APM) and HPC Mode BIOS Settings do? Feb 2014.

I can say 99% of CPU throttling problems on FX CPU's are due to either buggy BIOS in need of an update, or the more commonVRM throttling. Your motherboard will throttle the CPU if the VRM phases get to hot or outside of a safe zone coded in the BIOS. This is hard-coded in and set to help prevent frying your motherboard.

This is most common on the AMD 970 chipsets and the lower end boards that have 4+1 power phase designs. These are not high end power phase designs, and even an FX CPU at stock will throttle on these boards.

5.) > Overclocking with AMD 8350 And questions about APM! Apr 2014.

APM will underclock the CPU to 2.8ghz when ever it goes over 125W TDP. Switches between that 2.8ghz and your set clockspeed quicker then most software will pick up.

So it will be stable because its running at 2.8ghz half the time.
Youd be better off just running it at 4.5ghz all the time performance wise.

6.) > help! gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 mobo loop boot. Sept 2014.

it is rev 3.0, checked in bios, im all ready running fc
but in order to stop my loop boot i have to enable turbo core, which only maxes to 4.1ghz, even if i enable 22.5 multiplier on my turbo core,

Issue FIxed in BIOS F3h (September, 2014) you welcome.

7.) Just some user responses.
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
Great after BIOS update April 7, 2012
Well, if you're not overclocking then you can stop reading here because this board was super stable and it is perfect out of the box. However if you do overclock read further.

I had weird throttling issues on the fx cpu and inconsistent core voltages. I disabled turbo core, c1e, c6e. There was no option to disable APM (or whatever the power management thing was called). Running Prime95, my multipliers would drop randomly, and although I had a 4.3 ghz overclock, I would frequently see only 3000 mhz using CPU-Z. I tried disabling different combinations of turbo core, C1E, LLC, etc. Nothing helped. Lots of other users apparently have had this issue (at least according to the forums I was researching). I tried almost all night with no luck. Then, I found out that there is a beta version of the bios on the Gigabyte website. You can't download it through Gigabyte's included software. You have to download from the website. I think it was F6K or something like that. Upon flashing this BIOS, I was able to disable APM (it was not there on the F5 version). This stopped all the throttling issues and now the board and CPU overclock like a champ. I have it stable at 4.3 ghz right now and CPU-Z is showing the correct speeds. Also, I no longer have big fluctuations on the core voltages.

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
April 20, 2013
The board has a ton of great features, but be aware, due to VRM overheating, a non-overclocked FX8350 WILL be throttled to about 3.4ghz when stressed to full load (it'll switch between that and full speed rapidly to try and keep VRM temps normal). Due to this, I cannot recommend this board if you plan on overclocking or have an FX8350.

That is about it. As current as possible today with real user data.

RGone...

Last edited:
FX-9590 by ShrimpBrime...

attachment.php

Okay you may have heavy breathing about an FX-9590. Read the link and KNOW what you will most likely face as an overclocker or just what have you.

Write-up by our very own ShrimpBrime.

Formula-z and FX-9590. Hangs and Freezing.

RGone...

Oh boy...

...now the opinions flood from the wood work. Hehehe.

I am not waiting on ZEN so am going to put together an AM3+ FX-8350 rig to overclock to 4.8GHz with a single 970GTX video card. I am going to play mostly GPU oriented games and I am NOT going Intel cpu. Not at all. My call and My money and I spend it as I please.

What is the first thing I should consider, based on the projection as stated above? This is a test and grades will be handed out.

RGone...

EDIT:
Okay am tired of this dang forum updating my post here and not allowing to reserve a future post. So my idea is null and void. One could previously reserve posting areas but seemingly no longer with the Updating or auto save thing. Not sure which. Eiher way not being a mod...guess we can no longer do such or I am dunce and don't know how.
END EDIT.

Last edited:
Back