• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Info & Tips >> Using the AMD FX Bulldozer/Piledriver...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If looking for an Air OC it seems you might have luck with an 83xx that ends in 70 Rbobster!.

That and a FX-9xxx that ends in 70 is in the crate. Hehehe. But I need one at least as good as Bassnuts or maybe just a little better. He has a lot of rads to get to that 4.9GHz daily thing and I need to skate in just a shade better.

I just think the FX-9xxx are a little less leakage prone than I want to use with Air or some water. Been doing a lot of looking around. LRG5 has a pretty good FX-9590 but man three 360 degree rads. Hehehe. That is really hitting it hard.

RGone...

If you're contemplating a FX-9590 on air, forget about it. It'll just throttle right on down to that FX-8350 you have. Waste of moneys as you yourself has stated on several occasions.

But I'd be interested in seeing what your bucket of ice water (or w/e chilling you use) can do with it. I think I was upwards of 5800mhz or better while I bench tested it.

It is down to FX-8370 or FX-9370 right now. Order later tonight or in AM.

RGone...

Last edited:
Every one has the 8370. It's a good choice. But not every one has the 9370... also a good choice. Yet I see either doing 5ghz at 1.5v or more. :burn:

Due Diligence Digging...

...I thought I had covered these two parties to the FX lineup somewhere already. Maybe not clear enough. Cannot say. But one more time into the gauntlet.

I say new AMD APM or HPC and you say...do what.

What do AMD Application Power Management (APM) and HPC Mode BIOS Settings do?

AMD FX Application Power Management aKa APM Master Mode
Often a bios setting on some AMD AM3+ motherboards.
1. Works along with AMD Turbo Core to allow cpu to go to Turbo Core boosted speeds when there is enough headroom thermally and with voltage to cpu.

2. APM is designed to maintain the cpu clock rate within AMD TDP guidelines for the FX processor in use.

3. APM keeping TDP within AMD limits can reduce load on weaker VRM circuits, since some VRM circuits are neither heat sinked nor actively cooled like a cpu is.

4. In some cases it can give appearance of cpu throttling and at other times can reduce voltage while leaving the cpu speed at the higher clock rate.

5. Generally Application Power Management is trying to maintain FX processor within TDP of the FX processor in use.

6. Based on design of newer FX APM within the processor; you could not use or Disable APM in most AM3+ motherboards if you have TurboCore Disabled. You could also not use or Disable APM if you were overclocking and had zero intention of regarding the TDP of your FX processor provided you had "heavy duty" water cooling (awesome W/Cooling Loop) and active cooling of the heat sinked VRMs.

One Note here:
It is presumed that the motherboard itself can throttle the cpu if the phases of the VRM are being over-taxed and overheated. You can envision such inbuilt motherboard safety feature in many upper tier AM3+ motherboards in that they give options for current percentages above 100% usage.

HPC Mode and in the case of single CPU motherboards would be High Performance Computing can be an Enable or Disable setting in bios.
1. HPC Enabled, generally prevents the CPU from lowering clock rate under some conditions of loading on cpu. Such conditions may be nearing the TDP set by AMD and possibly high socket temps. However assumed and as yet unproven that I know about, a CPU could still drop its' clock rate under severe load no matter HPC setting.

2. Some testing with HPC Enabled, seemed to indicate increased performance in only a very few benchmarks on the order of maybe 6%.

So what could I possibly glean from the above? What could I also understand about APM from the beginning of the FX processors in use by self-observation?

I believe that the number one thing I gathered in doing this research is that Cooling and more cooling is not only required but is a real necessity for good, productive overclocking of an FX processor and as the number of cores of the processor increase this 'need' for Cooling is very demanding.

I would now understand that heatsinks on the VRMs is little short of "must" have. Nor in any way is it a bad idea to even get air flow over the VRM sinks. Most likely a very good idea.

Experientially, I could conclude that Disabling APM can bring some cpu throttling to a halt. Many were the contortions to Disable APM on some early motherboards when the cpu throttled under load. These conditions were also seen as most Disable Turbo Core and then APM was not needed as a 'sensor' for AMD Turbo Core.

During the research phase it also became apparent that Disabling APM and Enabling HPC could contribute to more power draw and thus again more heat. This should smack one squarely between the eyes as Disabling this and Enabling that are fooling with procedures that could reduce speed and or voltage and reductions there would certainly reduce power draw and reduce heat. However at the expense of more heat and power draw we may experience a greater overclock or a more steady overclock.

So where am I? With nothing but motherboards from the most upper tier of AM3+ motherboards such as the Asus CHV series of boards, plus fans blowing onto the VRM sinks of same boards and also a fan for the rear of the CPU Socket plus a very hefty DIY watercooling loop; I run APM = Disabled and I have HPC = Enabled both set so in bios settings.

I am now convinced that hardware cooling changes and the heftiness of the motherboard platform in use in conjunction with very good power supplies; contribute greatly to my good overclocking attempts and no real cpu speed fluctuations under a heavy load like Prime 95 run in Blend mode. Such attention to hardware has also made it much easier for me to reach my desired 4.8GHz cpu speed that will run P95 Blend for at a minimum of 2 hours.

Because this is an overclocking forum and I overclock and almost without fail the question about an AMD FX processor is "how do I overclock", I would suggest as with anything overclock related that you TEST your very own system to see the results.

I think I would even make a further suggestion and that is if your main criteria for the purchase of your AMD AM3+ motherboard is cheap price...then you are not going to be prepared from the outset, for the rigors of overclocking an FX- 6 or 8 core processor as many of us that help around do overclock.

For those with cheap as their main purchasing criteria, it is probably best to forget the hefty overclocks you hear about all over the net and leave the overclocking to the FX processor itself which has Turbo Core built within for doing its' own overclocking where it deems it is advised and within the realms of safety.

KNOW this for a certainty, that when you overclock like most of us overclock you have IMMEDIATELY thrown AMD's specs for TDP on the trash pile. AMD has specified parameters within the FX processor that should almost exclusively save the cheaper motherboard from the scrap pile over time and should also give a pleasuable user experience which should include a mild upclock of the processor speed within AMD specs and implementation of the motherboard manufacturer.

Let it also be KNOWN that the 'instant' you induce your own manually set multiplier into the bios and thus by the designs of overclocking, you disable C1/E, TurboCore, C6 and Disable Cool N Quiet you have forced every core on your FX processor to GO to work. Not just half will be upclocked slightly as TurboCore does but 'everyone/ALL' of the cores will become overclocked and the specified TDP set out by AMD is both null and void. At this point in time it becomes almost a mute point as to whether you Disable APM or Enable HPC, the die is cast for the need for cooling and substantial VRM circuitry.

If you did not see all this coming and suddenly believe you have gotten into a forum section where the Mobo Police live and are always stressing to buy good, hefty and workable components and may seem always dissing your thought economical system purchases, you should or could have seen it coming. Without fail we have preached very much the same message now nearly 4 years. The message has not changed and in truth cannot if a user wants a good stable overclock much beyond the 4.2GHz speed with stability and expected long and healthy life span of his system components while using a 6 or 8 core FX processor. There is just too much heat and power draw to contend with to blithely say, I want to overclock my FX processor.

Recognizing the rules of the game as it were and getting say a good ball or bat or shoes or uniform with which to participate in the game...well that should just be second nature to those of us that have competed. Overclocking is a competition. A competition to see just how much EXTRA you can get from stock parts.

I use APM Disabled and HPC enabled in my part of the overclocking game. Testing of your own parts may lead you to a different methodolgy. Only 'you' can tell for sure.

RGone...

Well Said RGone ....... You need to build a good backbone in your system and even then your overclock is still limited to your cooling. Thi should be mandatory reading for those thinking about getting into the game ....... well said.

Saw CHV...

...watts thru the VRMs a few years ago and lost any idea of where I had seen it. I search so much. But now again I see it while I am looking for information about the FX-9370 cpus. I thought it was neat what author said about FX-8350 users at 5.0GHz. Hehehe.

RGone...

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...nturian)-users-on-C5F-Z-Sabertooth-990FX-R2-0

Advise for FX-9590/9370 (Centurian) users on C5F-Z/Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
AMD has validated the Crosshair V and Sabertooth 990FX as for use with its new FX 9590 and 9370 CPUs, however there is some advise we'd like to add for users upgrading (or even users running their FX-8350s at ~5GHz frequencies).

1) You MUST plug in the 8pin and 4pin CPU 12V power plugs: they are there for this kind of usage! A 5GHz FX CPU will certainly draw over the 300W limit on the 8pin cable. If your PSU has good OCT it will simply cut out and your system will suffer hard-reboots. If not, it will likely melt poorly constructed PSUs with cheap wiring under extensive stress, unless your PSU is specifically fitted with heavy-gauge (lower AUG rating) wiring.

2) Do not disable OCP if you're running 24/7, it will protect your CPU. If you're trying to run extreme voltage for benchmarking you will have to turn it off, but in that case we strongly recommend watercooling (or at least chilling) the VRMs.

3) As you'd expect, when pulling close to 400W the VRMs run hot. At a minimum active cooling from direct case airflow is therefore a must (and watch those temps). Still, we strongly recommend watercooling the VRMs (EK does a good block) and do NOT loop CPU into VRMs: create two loops. When you consider your loops take into account the heat you're trying to shift: we advise looking at >1 large radiators and/or even a chiller system is maybe worth considering if you're running several high-power items together.

Given the price of CPU and expected total system cost anyway, we don't feel it's unreasonable to match such a premium setup with the right hardware. After all, this is what extreme PCs are all about.

I read that thread a while back, one thing that sticks out to me now is the Saberkitty doesn't have the extra 4 pin Cpu 12v. Also now that I think about it, maybe this is the reason why I was having issues when pushing more then 1.65 V with the Fx chips on board the Saberkitty.

Interesting. Wondering ........ I only have the 8 pin connected. We have seen newer versions kinda stall at certain high OC's ..... wondering if this might have any impact on this ..... probably minimal but then again ....? hmmmmmm

I was advised that a number of links in this thread were no longer valid. I have gone thru Every Post "I" had control of and tested every link and RE-arranged as necessary.
3:18AM Nov 5, 2015. RGone...

I was advised that a number of links in this thread were no longer valid. I have gone thru Every Post "I" had control of and tested every link and RE-arranged as necessary.
3:18AM Nov 5, 2015. RGone...

Hey who's the new guy. :rofl:
Nice to see you around Bobert

Back