• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another FX-8350 on a Saberkitty

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
First of all the PC has to be set back to defaults, then open CPUz. You'll see the about tab, select that then save as text file. In that fileyou'll see something like this
P-State FID 0x1A - VID 0x0A - IDD 13 (21.00x - 1.425 V)
P-State FID 0x19 - VID 0x0B - IDD 13 (20.50x - 1.412 V)
P-State FID 0x18 - VID 0x0E - IDD 12 (20.00x - 1.375 V)
P-State FID 0x12 - VID 0x16 - IDD 10 (17.00x - 1.275 V)
P-State FID 0xC - VID 0x1F - IDD 8 (14.00x - 1.162 V)
P-State FID 0x5 - VID 0x29 - IDD 5 (10.50x - 1.037 V)
P-State FID 0x10C - VID 0x33 - IDD 4 (7.00x - 0.912 V)

Well you need to save your settings first then set everything to default. Open Cpu-Z and click about then "save report txt." name it and save it in your documents then post it here, Here are some of ours.

Here they are: That file is super interesting, thanks for sharing it.

Definitely looks a little lower than what other machines run...

P-State FID 0x1A - VID 0x0A - IDD 13 (21.00x - 1.425 V)
P-State FID 0x19 - VID 0x0F - IDD 13 (20.50x - 1.362 V)
P-State FID 0x18 - VID 0x15 - IDD 12 (20.00x - 1.287 V)
P-State FID 0x12 - VID 0x1D - IDD 10 (17.00x - 1.188 V)
P-State FID 0xC - VID 0x25 - IDD 8 (14.00x - 1.087 V)
P-State FID 0x5 - VID 0x2E - IDD 5 (10.50x - 0.975 V)
P-State FID 0x10C - VID 0x38 - IDD 4 (7.00x - 0.850 V)

It certainly is a low voltage chip, hopefully it will not hit a wall after 4.7 Ghz.

well - I'll reload and see how 4.8 does, it took a bit of extra voltage for 4.7 compared to 4.6 so here we go.

upped the voltage to 1.392 and tested, immediately gave 100 warnings on core #4 so I canceled.

upped the voltage to 1.398 but it crashed about 11 minutes in... added one more shot of voltage.

Now - I'm still running all my load lines and stuff in auto... I suppose I should be running it in very high at this point?

well - that's 20 minutes stable, by setting the CPU load line calibration to "Extreme" and the voltage to 1.404V on HWmonitor it was able to do it, but the temps are going up, had to jack my fans up all the way to pull the temps back down to 66C on the socket.

Max temps: 52C on cores, 68C on socket for about 10 seconds until I jacked those fans up.

I'll try to 4.9 MHz here shortly.

Attachments

• 4.8 MHz stable 20 minutes 1.404V.jpg
    4.8 MHz stable 20 minutes 1.404V.jpg
    430.3 KB · Views: 128
P-State FID 0x18 - VID 0x15 - IDD 12 (20.00x - 1.287 V) << The one C_D had was 1.291V
@ 20.00x. It would not budge beyond 4.8Ghz no matter the voltage and I understand he sold it to a gamer type to run on air at less than 1.4V @ 4.8Ghz.

Now I would expect that the FX-8core has matured so that they now are making some low-leakers. They do take less voltage up to a point in overclocking but then they just quit. Seems we never saw one with this low of a P-State until AMD started to try and bin for the FX-9xxx cpus which will surely take a pretty high leakage cpu to reach those speeds and is also why the FX-9xxx's have such high P-State voltages.

This type FX processor should suit the average set it and go gaming or just use the computer daily user well. It just would not truly suit me since it was much fun to buzz that 5.5Ghz range for a few benches just for the hale of it. Hehehe. As it turns out I do all my video editting at 4.8Ghz on air now anyway with 1.3875Vcore and if 100Mhz really did me any good, could force 4.9Ghz out of it for daily use on air.
RGone...ster.

:) 4.7 is absolutely fine for me since I am a gamer and was kinda on the fence as to if I wanted to buy an 8350 or a 9590.

4.9 booted, but crashed as soon as I started moving the mouse around, I had only upped the voltage by one level though, I suppose I should have tried three but I'm already getting close to 70C on this setup at 20M P95blend, no point in going much further until I get those other fans.

Oh, on the stamp on the chip it said that this chip was made (or tested?) in 2011... odd little bit, I wonder if that was just the original batch date or something like that.

Package date? Think that is what they call it. The silicon is done in Germany and sent to Malaysia or similar for "packaging" onto pcb and add IHS.
RGone...

Tetrall, 4.7 is where I run mine 24/7 because the jump to 4.8 and above for my chip requires shovels full of voltage. I choose to run 4.7 just because the extra performance gain for the heat doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks for trying to push further, you will definitely get to a point where the heat will overwhelm the Kracken. There is no real reason why you would need to run faster other then your own curiosity. We are always interested in seeing what another chip may do when one really puts his foot on it's neck. Most of us here have tried at one point or another to push our chips as far as we can get them. It's just what we do. :D

Tetrall, 4.7 is where I run mine 24/7 because the jump to 4.8 and above for my chip requires shovels full of voltage. I choose to run 4.7 just because the extra performance gain for the heat doesn't make sense to me.

Thanks for trying to push further, you will definitely get to a point where the heat will overwhelm the Kracken. There is no real reason why you would need to run faster other then your own curiosity. We are always interested in seeing what another chip may do when one really puts his foot on it's neck. Most of us here have tried at one point or another to push our chips as far as we can get them. It's just what we do. :D

The curiosity is killing me:bang head... but until I get things set up to push it harder, I really like how it's sitting right now.

Honestly, I'd like to try backing it back down and trying a little NB/HT overclocking, see if I can't get a little more out of it at a lower voltage by messing with those.

Eventually, I'd really like to join the benchmarking team... lord knows when winter hits I need a few more hobbies other than video games.

Any suggestions on where to start on? I overclocked my undervolted ram last night to 8-8-9-20 1.5V @ 1866MHz and it gave me about an extra hundred on my 3Dmark 11.

by and by Mandrake what voltage do you consider to be shovels full?

Honestly, I'd like to try backing it back down and trying a little NB/HT overclocking, see if I can't get a little more out of it at a lower voltage by messing with those.
You will certainly gain from raising the Nb and Ht link, playing with them will help you find what suits your system best. You should also start using the FSB to fine tune the OC. Sometimes you can get to X Mhz using the Fsb and use less Cpu V then if you're using the Multi only.

I overclocked my undervolted ram last night to 8-8-9-20 1.5V @ 1866MHz and it gave me about an extra hundred on my 3Dmark 11.
Those seem to be a nice set of sticks you have, note that most AMD chips like tight timings over raw speed. 8-8-9-20 @ 1866 is really nice.

EDIT: I found two reviews we have for those sticks, note that both are done on Intel rigs so the timings may not translate exactly but it can help. Bobnova's Review Woomack's Review.
Eventually, I'd really like to join the benchmarking team... lord knows when winter hits I need a few more hobbies other than video games.
We you can download any of these benchmarks off Hwbot to get you on your way. As far as winter, that's when the fun begins, if you stick around you'll see the madness begin. Tough, I'll certainly be jealous of the low temps I assume you get in Alaska.

by and by Mandrake what voltage do you consider to be shovels full?
I don't remember exactly but I was near 1.49 Cpu V. I run 4.7 24/7 at 1.46875 Cpu V. My chip has been as high as 5679 Mhz on sub ambient water.

Last edited:
ugh... it gets to -20-40 below F here where I'm at right now in December-Feb, at work it gets to -60... :p Great for overclocking but live is painful, so dry you can feel the water leave your skin.

Anyways, I'll check out those reviews on RAM and start messing around with the FSB. Thanks!

So... working on my RAM here's what I've got so far:

I have left my system at 4.7MHz overclock on this testing for now

newbie theory craft (bear with him, he's learning)

1. I have two goals in mind and they are different but the same the first is to get a nice super stable tight timing overclock for gaming at about 1866MHz which (from what I read) would be ideal for a gamer.

2. The second goal is to do some benchmarking score and see how high I can get... I gotta go for higher MHz for that, but the ASUS sabertooth doesn't seem to support above 1866 OC, I've seen other folks doing that so I assume it ok but might have some risk. Anyone able to correct me a little on this?

so what I've done so far:

raised my voltage to 1.5V (the ram keeps it's warranty up to 1.5V so I'm confident that it wont cook)

tried several combos:

8-8-8-21 @ 1866MHz

superPI1.5 scored for 16M: 9minutes 14.211 seconds

8-8-8-20 @ 1866MHz

superPI1.5 scored for 16M: 8 minutes 52.944 seconds.

3DMark11: 11683

7-7-7-24 @ 1600MHz

superPI1.5 scored for 16M: 8 Minutes 56 seconds

3DMark11 11632

More data to come, still messing around.

Tetrall says >> ASUS sabertooth doesn't seem to support above 1866 OC

Response >> 1866 ram speed is not supposed to be an overclock on the AM3+ mobo but a
supported ram speed.

You have to have these numbers in mind when dealing with overclocking FX cpus.
What four speeds are influenced by raising the FSB which today is known as
HT Reference Frequency (clock)'

HT Ref clock x CPU multi = CPU speed
HT Ref clock x HT multi = HT Link frequency
HT Ref clock x Memory multi = Memory speed
HT Ref clock x CPU-NB multi = CPU-NB speed

The standard/stock/default HT Ref Clock is 200 for FX processors. If you raise the HT Ref Freq above the stock 200 the cpu speed rises, the HT Link Speed/Freq rises, the Memory speed rises and the CPU_NB rises also.

The rise in memory speed is why many of us overclock an FX processor using BOTH the HT Ref Clk and the Cpu Multiplier so that we can use the increase of HT Ref Clk to overclock our ram speed. I overclock my ram speed by choosing the ram speed setting for DDR3-1866 and then raising the HT Ref Clk to say 210 and NOW the ram speed will raise by 210 times the Ram multiplier.

And hale yes I may have to adjust the cpu multiplier lower to keep the cpu speed from going higher than is stable. Oh yes I may have to lower the HT Link speed multiplier to keep the HT Link speed from getting TOO high. And finally I may have to lower the CPU_NB multiplier to keep the CPU_NB from getting too high.

One of the neatO things about the FX processor on a good mobo like the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 is that each of those adjustments is there in the bios and when adjusted as necessary, that motherboard will allow great overclocking fun. It does take attention to "the" details and some trial and error to balance all four (4) speeds that WILL BE changed when the HT Ref Clk is changed upward.
RGone...ster.
RGone...

Well that is a nice cpu there so far Tetrall, I as otheres here are curious to see just how fast that one will go. As RGone says to get the ram speed up you'll need to raise the reference clock. Just so you can see that it's possible I found an old snip of mine running at 2510 on the Sabertooth notice the reference clock is at 270

aida 93 snip.JPG

Also here's a CPU with the date circled, it's the 12th year 29th week PGN batch

1 fx cpu.jpg

wow... that's fast ram, do you see a lot general performance from pushing it that high or is primarily just to see how hard it can be pushed?

Back