• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another FX-8350 on a Saberkitty

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
wow... that's fast ram, do you see a lot general performance from pushing it that high or is primarily just to see how hard it can be pushed?
That was a set of G.Skill sniper 2133 CL11, As Manny says benching, but even then I have better results running it at 7-9-8 in the 1850 range. The AMDs to date typically perform their best in the 1800-2000 range. I have a good set of ram that i run around 2200 but that's more the ram than the IMC. Speaking of which if you're looking for more ram performance get the NB speed up as high as you can. That helps a lot with ram throughput.

So right now, I've got my ram stable and running well 1.5V @ 1866MHz and 8-8-8-20-46 (doesn't show T1 or T2) using the FSB I was able to get up over 1900 on those timings and boot, didn't do a full stability test on them yet.

I guess even after reading a lot of stuff, I'm not very comfortable yet on understanding what exactly I'm doing with overclocking the FSB.

But I'll be trying anyways... I'm reading what the crew has been suggesting on other FX-Vishera's and trying to figure out how to understand the failure and performance I'm seeing.

So I tried this tonight:

CPU Multi: 22.5X
FSB: 209X

Ram was around 1960 Failed to boot so I loosed the timings to 9-9-9-24 which did boot.

wasn't stable the first time so I added just a touch of extra voltage to my NB: +.00625

Booted, but feels a bit slow, a little "halting" I dunno...

ran 20 minutes of prime95 blend, stable:

added over 20 seconds to my Super PI 1.5 score at 16M

Didn't seem to help my score on 3DMark 11, dropped it slight, even with a slightly higher clock speed, around 4.730-60GHz

Dunno! :) went back to my normal 4.7 via multiplier only, everything else stock and trying by raising the HTT and NB to 2400 each, seeing what that does with benchmarks. Would like to break 11700 here without restoring to raising my voltage (for now...)

Last edited:
That did it, I hit 11798, kinda nice... but it seems to have slightly poor rating on SuperPI score by adding about 2 seconds from my best.

Guess I need a couple more benchmarks going...

That did it, I hit 11798, kinda nice... but it seems to have slightly poor rating on SuperPI score by adding about 2 seconds from my best.

Guess I need a couple more benchmarks going...

Those of us that do a lot of benching know that we must actually adjust some settings for the "specific" bench we intend to run. It is a fact of life that trial and error testing is at every turn in the overlocking high-way.

When benching consumed 3 or 4 hours of my day...I had settings for each bench written down and adjusted bios for 'each' bench before proceeding to the bench.

I guess currently my 'tweaking' would be toward giving a 'greater' CPU Test score in something like Cinebench R11.5. Doing so would or seems to keep the 'power' up for my video editting. YMMV.
RGone...ster. :thup:

Nice! I'm going to be doing some photography and maybe get a chance to do that kind of stuff soon, but for now, I'm just trying to get a handle on what's going to help produce the smoothest gaming and general interface.

I'm running a couple benchmarks right now, just downloaded Cinebench R15 but which do you suggest for a gamer to measure his performance (BF4 I am play now and it seems this tweaking does give a smoother performance, less lag when I run around the corner into six guys. Doesn't seem to help my aim or the fact I get gunned down by the shotgun brigade.... but hey at least I can see myself die) ;)

Hey, as I continue to mess with these overclocks, is it possible to re-enable some of the power-saving/problematic stuff and retest with these?

I was wondering if I re-enabled Core C6 to allow the system to go idle if that would be wise when I'm not running at full load... would that just re-introduce instability at this point or would it be a good thing to test out?

Once you've found your max stable clock you can turn all that stuff back on. If using offset voltage then you machine will idle down to 1.8 and less than 1v

Hey, as I continue to mess with these overclocks, is it possible to re-enable some of the power-saving/problematic stuff and retest with these?

I was wondering if I re-enabled Core C6 to allow the system to go idle if that would be wise when I'm not running at full load... would that just re-introduce instability at this point or would it be a good thing to test out?
Yes that is exactly how I run my rig, you just need to go back into the bios, change the Cpu and NB Voltage to "Offset" instead of manual then take the voltage you are using for the 4.7 OC and subtract the 1.287 voltage from it. Then take the difference and use that as the + offset voltage. Then just re-enable all the power saving features, make sure you also put windows power saving back to balanced if you have changed it to performance.

ok Mandrake... this is kinda embarrassing but I used offset because I didn't know there was a difference. I figured it would save me one easy error as a dyslexic of moving a decimal point in overclocking (13.2V =/= 1.32V)

I didn't change the windows powersaving feature... does windows 8 even have that?

I didn't change the windows powersaving feature... does windows 8 even have that?
Don't know.

If you're already using offset then turning on the power saving features should have you all set.

Hi, yes win 8 is just like win 7. Just go to Power Options in control panel. There is a balanced & power saving modes, both will save power when not needed. I use balanced & it throttles my CPU back to 1.7 Ghz & .924vcore when idle.

Well guys, at work for two weeks then going hunting for a bit.

I got two fans though! :D Next time back, we will see if 4.8GHz is the cut off for my CPU.

Back