• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I want to make my first attempt with a GPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

So i got my 5770 back from my GF, well it cost me a 6970, but never mind that, this 5770 is the Gigabyte silent version, and when i used it for mining, it did solid hashing, and the temps never went above 55, so i thought, let my try and see how this card runs with some extra cooling.

Using my delta fan (3000rpm? that you dont touch while its running!!) i stuck some copper heatsinks onthe back of the card, where it has ram.

This is a non ref card, as advised, and should be a DX11 card.

I want to start out with 3dMark11, since this is the benching software i have used most, and i know it, fairly well.

As i understand, tessellation needs to be disabled when once i start going for higher scores, or at all times while benching 3dMark11?

So far i have run a 3dMark11 with stock clocks 850/1200 mhz.

After 3dMark11 run, max temp was 36degrees and after running Heaven it hit 37, so this leaves room for raising the clocks.

I am not sure, if volts are locked, but i will need to look into this.

Now the question, how should i attack this?

Link to Current HWbot rankings for 5770 http://hwbot.org/hardware/videocard/radeon_hd_5770/

Disable Tessellation at all times.

You attack like by raising the clock speeds on both the core and memory until the benchmark doesn't run anymore. 3D11's score is also quite CPU/core dependent, so make sure you crank on the CPU as well.

Disable Tessellation at all times.

You attack like by raising the clock speeds on both the core and memory until the benchmark doesn't run anymore. 3D11's score is also quite CPU/core dependent, so make sure you crank on the CPU as well.

Alright, i just did a run without tessellation, invalid result.

1st if you have not done this replace TIM with top quality stuff Geild Extreme/TX2 or the best you have on hand, if you have a better GPU cooler put that on
Agree with ED , first off max CPU clock using the benchmark as a stability test.

Under advanced just run Physics and combined test to save time dialing the CPU in

once done save that profile as 2011 clocks so you have it for the next card

Set card up for max performance in CC , tess off max & performance settings then push the core first, max it out using the graphics tests under advanced no need to test the CPU tests again. get max stable and rinse and repeat with mem clocks

I find it helpful to record these settings as you may want to address this card in the future on a stronger platform.

Lastly don't get your finger caught in that Delta, you may want to put gaurds on it ..... :)

Most of all have fun , don't sweat the results, the card will only do what the card will do given any cooling solution

1st if you have not done this replace TIM with top quality stuff Geild Extreme/TX2 or the best you have on hand, if you have a better GPU cooler put that on
Agree with ED , first off max CPU clock using the benchmark as a stability test.

Under advanced just run Physics and combined test to save time dialing the CPU in

once done save that profile as 2011 clocks so you have it for the next card

Set card up for max performance in CC , tess off max & performance settings then push the core first, max it out using the graphics tests under advanced no need to test the CPU tests again. get max stable and rinse and repeat with mem clocks

I find it helpful to record these settings as you may want to address this card in the future on a stronger platform.

Lastly don't get your finger caught in that Delta, you may want to put gaurds on it ..... :)

Most of all have fun , don't sweat the results, the card will only do what the card will do given any cooling solution

Okay lets start from the top :)

The TIM was already replaced, but best i had is Artic Cooling MX-2.

I did a fast setup, ran a test, and just to get an idea of what happens, i made my HWbot user, and uploaded my first result. Seems like its been accepted and now i understand more of what is going on.

I am currently overclocking my CPU. Stress testing it with Prime95. I am aiming for 15mins before a crash, so far im hitting 4,8ghz but hitting 80 degrees on the hottest core, with the other core 8degrees lower. (I will delid this at some point soon)

I need more info on settings in CC. Tess i set as override and then to off. What other settings should i be messing with in CC before we move into overclocking?

I have ordered guards for the delta, lucky i only lost a tiny piece of skin on my thumb lol, agressive piece of fan! But that gigabyte stays cool under pressure!

^^ This ^^

miniumum everything on top, better to set to 2x rather than application set

Prime has no pace in benching, test with the two tests I mentioned above, prime is irrelivant.

Prime Stable < 2011 stable

Same with Vantage and Fire Strike just run the 2 CPU tests to set clocks save prifile

06 same thing you just have to get past the two CPU and physics tests

05 and down have no CPU tests that you have to run so you will see you will be able to run higher clocks on those tests

Just the details to Performance and tessellation off.

I am sorry but still dont understand the "details to Perforamnce"?

This is my main rig, but menus are the same, where is this performance you guys keep talking about?
Skærmbillede 2014-08-24 21.30.03.png

^^ This ^^

miniumum everything on top, better to set to 2x rather than application set

Prime has no pace in benching, test with the two tests I mentioned above, prime is irrelivant.

Prime Stable < 2011 stable

Same with Vantage and Fire Strike just run the 2 CPU tests to set clocks save prifile

06 same thing you just have to get past the two CPU and physics tests

05 and down have no CPU tests that you have to run so you will see you will be able to run higher clocks on those tests

I have come to understand this about Prime and 3dmark11.

Seems like my max is 4817mhz without crashing, but i will need to learn more about tweaking the bios and such, 5ghz should be possible.. I can get it to boot with 5ghz, but wont last long once inside windows.

Ok, so my limit is 955/1245.

I tried to take out the bios, run it threw RBE and setup the volt up a bit. No change, im guessing its volt locked?

Your submissing has no GPUz or CPUz memory tab

you have to have , CPUz memory and CPU as well as GPUz

turn tesselation off

Set to performance, set all AA & AF to minumum setting if you can turn it off set to 2x , not application control

What you are trying to do is lower the parameters to make it easier on the GPU so it can score higher

it should look like this

attachment.php

Attachments

• 8 4 14 11 780Ti.png
    8 4 14 11 780Ti.png
    120.9 KB · Views: 77
Your submissing has no GPUz or CPUz memory tab

you have to have , CPUz memory and CPU as well as GPUz

turn tesselation off

Set to performance, set all AA & AF to minumum setting if you can turn it off set to 2x , not application control

What you are trying to do is lower the parameters to make it easier on the GPU so it can score higher

it should look like this

You are right. I was looking at one of the other submissions, that must have been missing it too. That said, im stuck on low res, so i'll need a bigger screen to be able to fit all the stuff first..

Anyway, i am having a problem with the volt.

When running the stock bios, the voltage max is 1.200v and it goes to that.

Soon as i use RBE to mod the bios and raise the volt max to 1.300v, the max in trixx indeed is 1.300v but it never goes above 1.150v

No i have rolled back and starting over with 13.1 drivers. Same issue.

How on earth does anyone raise the volt on this card?

Run at your max clocks and see what happens

did you download the AMD tool I linked earlier in this thread ?

I have had no luck at all with anything, as far as this 5770.

I have now asked Gigabyte if they can tell me if this card really is locked down, so much.

They have responded with the answer, that they will see if there is a special bios they can give me, but no promises.

Back