• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best R9 290 For My Build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Doug13

Hi guys I want your opinions on what 290 would be best for my build

1. I will be 2 way xfiring them
2. I only want ones that will fit in my color scheme. (Black/Red or Plain Black).
3. I am only gaming on them.

Thanks for any help!

Here is my current build http://pcpartpicker.com/p/QTwbRB

Last edited:
I got a gigabyte one, seems to have the best cooler and its great; but black and red the ASUS one will look the best.

But man those cards are really up in price. I paid $389 and got $20 back from discover so really only paid $369.

why not get a great card and just paint the shroud? Sapphire Vapor-x r9-290s have the best AIO coolers on the market other then watercooling them. Just a thought or you are very limited in what you are looking at, everything other than Sapphire or HIS which have some of the best cooling that u will need for CFX.

Yeah, i was told the tri-x was the best cooler a few months ago. and the vapor-x should be better than it since it is slightly larger and has the vapor chamber.

My two run much cooler than reference, but i have my case open as well

I have the Powercolor pcs+ myself. It cools very well, and goes toe to toe with the vapor X as far as performance and cooling together. Usually a good deal cheaper too. Mine just needed a Bios update to correct all the black screen issues when gaming and I was good to go. I got lucky and got a card with hynix memory. Stock box voltage I have the card bench stable at 1150 mhz core and 1600 mhz memory, up from 1030/1350.

Also a side note. They made the card length shorter by making the cooler thicker. It's a 2.5 slot card compare to 2. Keep this in mind if you wish to xfire. Board pcie slot locations etc.

I heard the same. That's why I originally went with the Tri-X over the Asus several months ago. At this point, I think the Vapor X and PCS+ cool better than the Tri-X, though.

All the research i did before buying my Vapor-X 290 all stated the same. If I spend 440 on a GPU, you better believe that i will do a ton of research to get the absolute best.(IM not rich and 400+ is a stupid amount of $$$) The DCU2 vs the Vapor-X was close, but in the end the heat management that sapphire has is unmatched by any brand on the market. Asus has a very good cooler but they half a** the cooler for this release and havent really worked on it till the Strix/ROG matrix. Not yet available for the 290 (non-x) as of yet but there cooler lacks that little bit extra to put it over the Vapor-X. ALL this coming from a True Asus Fanboy. Then Asus 290 is still a very sexy card but the Vapor-X is just a legend and fails to disappoint.

Clock-Rate.png Performance.png

Back