• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE G.Skill Officially Announces Ripjaws 4 Series DDR4 Memory Kits

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

With the rapidly approaching release of Haswell-E CPUs and X99 motherboards to support them, G.Skill has officially announced their entry into the DDR4 memory market. Beginning at speeds of 2133 MHz and climbing up to 3200 MHz, these kits will be available in 16 GB, 32 GB, and 64 GB quad-channel configurations. The lower frequency kits will operate at an astoundingly low voltage of 1.20 V, while the higher frequency kits will need 1.35 V. You'll also be able to choose from three different colors... black, red, or blue.
... Return to article to continue reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are the timings so loose even at 1.2v I thought the chips were supposed to be better unless this is very high density?

Why are the timings so loose even at 1.2v I thought the chips were supposed to be better unless this is very high density?

Wonder how much tweak ability is there though. 3200 @ cl 16 isn't a slouch, imagine if you can drop it to 12:shock:

Why are the speeds so high? Is the old addage that anything above 1600 mhz speed RAM is a waste of money still hold true with DDR4? (unless you have an APU which can benefit from it)

You get benefits (in gaming) up to around 2133MHz unless you are using the iGPU of either Intel or AMD as they use system ram for vram so the faster it is, the faster your iGPU is as well. ;)

Its simply a natural progression.

3200 @ cl 16 isn't a slouch, imagine if you can drop it to 12
On LN2 maybe...http://www.jagatreview.com/2013/06/...vengeance-pro-3200-mhz-cl11-di-computex-2013/

Just a side note on some of the timings/speed relationship here...

You can work out RAM access time this way: ( CL / Frequency ) * 1000.

CL16 / 3200 MHz * 1K = 5ns
15 / 3200 * 1K = 4.68ns

8 / 1600 * 1000 = 5ns

Though it should be obvious that the 3200MHz has more bandwidth. ;)

Why are the speeds so high? Is the old addage that anything above 1600 mhz speed RAM is a waste of money still hold true with DDR4? (unless you have an APU which can benefit from it)

You're comparing architectures here, assumptions like that won't apply.

The reason 1600MHz DDR3 was the sweet spot for so long was due to the speed/timing/cost ratios.
There will be a new sweet spot for DDR4.

It's like saying "This processor from 5 years ago was best, so this must be the best new one"

the old addage for 1600 MHz sweet spot was based on gaming benchmarks... (like Crysis and Metro 2033, not 3dMark or Heaven)

you could see a noticeable framerate difference going from 1333 to 1600, and then almost no difference jumping from 1600 to 1833. (i'm saying the addage was based on benchmarks, not the technical reasons for WHY benchmarks showed what they showed) and since 1833 was more expensive for ZERO to ONE frame rate increase, it didn't make sense to buy faster RAM unless you were competing for benchmark high scores.

nowadays, you can see noticeable differences jumping from 1600 to 1833, and in a few new titles, maybe even a difference jumping all the way up to 2133 from 1833.

From what I'm seeing so far, DDR4 kits will start at 2133 MHz and go up from there. Lower MHz kits should run at 1.2V and the higher speed stuff at 1.35V. Once DDR4 has been out for a while, I wouldn't be surprised if manufacturers start tossing out kits with better timings, we'll have to wait and see I guess.

I should have that information for you guys by weeks end.... hang tight...LOL

Ahh, there you go.... hadn't checked the eTailers yet.... thanks Austin!

All good DDR3 disappeared some time ago already. Right now you can still find some older series but everything new is pretty average.

Wow, that stuff is loose :(

You get benefits (in gaming) up to around 2133MHz unless you are using the iGPU of either Intel or AMD as they use system ram for vram so the faster it is, the faster your iGPU is as well. ;)

Its simply a natural progression.

On LN2 maybe...http://www.jagatreview.com/2013/06/...vengeance-pro-3200-mhz-cl11-di-computex-2013/

Just a side note on some of the timings/speed relationship here...

You can work out RAM access time this way: ( CL / Frequency ) * 1000.

CL16 / 3200 MHz * 1K = 5ns
15 / 3200 * 1K = 4.68ns

8 / 1600 * 1000 = 5ns

Though it should be obvious that the 3200MHz has more bandwidth. ;)

Not really that loose in terms of access time....

Back