• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shim for Matrix HD7970 Platinum die?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cubusmedusa

Registered
Hi,

unfortunately I was not able to find a photo showing whether or not the die height is lower or equal to the frame around it thus making a shim necessary for installation of a water block.
Is anybody out there knowing an answer? :)
If I look at pictures of the cooler I could get the impression that a shim will be necessary to avoid contact of the copper with the aluminum frame around the die. But I am not sure.

Chris

Of course, checking by myself would answer it. But I am in the situation now, considering the mod. Not having decided yet. (having some other problems to solve with my HAF XB as well) And as long as I am not sure I do not want to take it appart. Thats why I am asking.

Only a few screws. not a bad idea to replace the factory goo anyway even if you don't move forward with the block

or just grab a shim so either way it will work as they are only a few bucks

Yea, I saw that a lot of people are using the Gelid Extreme and/or TX-2/TX-4. The reviews more or less confirm this. But I was quite surprised about the GPU/TIM results which led me to think about the pads...

You have a great opportunity to do some testing for yourself. :)

Taking a GPU apart is really no big deal. Just watch the stickers as some will void your warranty if removed or altered. you know there pricks when they put the stick on over a screw :rofl:

Back