• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is mushkin a good brand?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Infinite66

at's up guys. Currently running corsair vengeance low profile 1600mhz at 9-9-9-24 timings. Currently building a server out out of spare parts and I've been meaning to upgrade my main pc with faster ram. So I can retire this set over to the server. That said I was looking at this 8gb kit.

tmp_29037-Screenshot_2014-08-25-23-54-05-48398987.png

What do you guys think? I know ram beyond 2133 is negligible, but the 2400 kit is only a few bucks more. I can always tweak the faster kit. Any help is appreciated.

Great brand, phenomenal customer support.

That is what I want to hear. OK awesome. Seems hard to find good ram from good companies that don't have these flashy god awful gaudy 4 inch heatsinks. I like a little flash sure, but not when it impacts what heatsink I can use. Hence Hence my current low profile stuff.

This is a great brand all hand picked pinned chips.

My suggestion is to buy into the redline sticks from mushkin. Very hard core. Haven't had a set that couldn't do 1200mhz effective across a few different platforms including s1155 (3770K) AM3+ (FX-83xx) and even my FM1 (A8-3850) have all ran my 933 redlines to 1200mhz effective.

Best results where 1100mhz Cas 10 on 1.5v and 1000mhz Cas 9 1.5v From all three platforms mentioned above.

Have never needed customer support (yet) from Mushkin as their products exceed industry standards.

This is a great brand all hand picked pinned chips.

My suggestion is to buy into the redline sticks from mushkin. Very hard core. Haven't had a set that couldn't do 1200mhz effective across a few different platforms including s1155 (3770K) AM3+ (FX-83xx) and even my FM1 (A8-3850) have all ran my 933 redlines to 1200mhz effective.

Best results where 1100mhz Cas 10 on 1.5v and 1000mhz Cas 9 1.5v From all three platforms mentioned above.

Have never needed customer support (yet) from Mushkin as their products exceed industry standards.

Good to know that the chips are binned, but why would it matter if the the ram can go lower speeds? Cross compatibility being able to run at same speeds is great, but isn't the point of buying this kit to run it as fast as possible with with the tightest timings I can manage? Not poling fun, just ignorant. Prior to joining joining this forum, ram was ram was ram to me. So long as the pc booted lol.

Binned meaning hand picked after testing to run x rated speeds at x voltage. But the expensive ones will run tighter timings usually at higher speeds and are binned in this manor,

1600mhz at 9-9-9-24 timings.

When buying Ram at this speed, Cas 9 would be loose. Most decent Ram, like the mushkin redlines will do 1600mhz at 8-8-8-24-32 2T 1.5v no problem from a 933mhz kit and timings of 9-10-9 or 9-9-9 for example.

Personally for most builds I like to be right in the middle. 933mhz Cas 9, will OC well and underclock with nice tight timings well. There's really no need to try and run 1200mhz Ram effectively at this speed when most IMCs will want some extra attention to do so. Most IMCs Intel and AMD are pretty good for 1100mhz effective on the other hand. So buying into Ram over this speed is mainly for those really into benchmarking and hitting big numbers like 1600mhz effective which usually only happens with LN2 and way high voltage on the Ram.

AMD will respond well to nice tight timings where Intel will respond well to the high mhz timings matter, just not as much.

Binned meaning hand picked after testing to run x rated speeds at x voltage. But the expensive ones will run tighter timings usually at higher speeds and are binned in this manor.

When buying Ram at this speed, Cas 9 would be loose. Most decent Ram, like the mushkin redlines will do 1600mhz at 8-8-8-24-32 2T 1.5v no problem from a 933mhz kit and timings of 9-10-9 or 9-9-9 for example.

Personally for most builds I like to be right in the middle. 933mhz Cas 9, will OC well and underclock with nice tight timings well. There's really no need to try and run 1200mhz Ram effectively at this speed when most IMCs will want some extra attention to do so. Most IMCs Intel and AMD are pretty good for 1100mhz effective on the other hand. So buying into Ram over this speed is mainly for those really into benchmarking and hitting big numbers like 1600mhz effective which usually only happens with LN2 and way high voltage on the Ram.

AMD will respond well to nice tight timings where Intel will respond well to the high mhz timings matter, just not as much.

I see. Thanks alot for the explanation. I'll look into their red line stuff

For last 2-3 years their products are really average. They live only based on the legend that they created couple of years ago. Really how many forum members decided to buy their DDR3 memory in last 2 years ? Many people thought that Mushkin is dead as they didn't make even 1 new product for about a year.
For some reason they didn't reply to 3 mails from me so I'm not so sure if their support is so great.
Still their memory should be good enough for everything but I wouldn't count it's so great.

I love their stuff, but I do have to pay well for their good stuff (and gladly do). While I do agree that they have become average on some levels, their top stuff is still some of the best imo.

Can't go wrong with their Redline, but if all else, look at G.Skill.

Back