• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Murky Res Water w/silver & PTN??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Mine came with THIS.

View attachment 148833

I ran it while testing the loop for leaks. Drained everything and refilled with distilled and killcoil.

I haven't heard too many great things about those "cleaners". I have a few of them and won't be using them. I've heard of stories of tube clouding caused by those cleaners and or some other things as well.

Wow, I haven't run into murky water yet, I'm using distilled water and a Monsoon .999 Fine Silver Bullet Antimicrobial G 1/4 Plug I took out of the Monsoon Series Two Premium D5 Dual Bay Reservoir and put it in the XSPC Photon 170 Tube Glass Cylinder Reservoir / Pump Combo. I have yet to use some Copper Sulfate, try it without PTN, I see you have some silver, it may work.

Wow, I haven't run into murky water yet, I'm using distilled water and a Monsoon .999 Fine Silver Bullet Antimicrobial G 1/4 Plug I took out of the Monsoon Series Two Premium D5 Dual Bay Reservoir and put it in the XSPC Photon 170 Tube Glass Cylinder Reservoir / Pump Combo. I have yet to use some Copper Sulfate, try it without PTN, I see you have some silver, it may work.

Yeah I managed to flush out ~90% of the old dead water and replace it with just distilled + silver coil.

I'll flush it some more this weekend, but I'd like to see how it does now.
I'm hoping just the silver will do fine.

Like it was said before, I'm betting (hoping) it was just a bad reaction between the PTN and some component. Flushing out the PTN should hopefully do the trick.

Come to think of it, although I've bought parts from Sidewinder for years, and I trust them, take a look at the silver strip to see if it's still silver or gray or even charcoal gray (harmless tarnish).
If they got a hold of a bad batch (fakers are everywhere), your silver could be what reacted...and yeah, my real silver came from them, so I do trust them.

Last edited:
Come to think of it, although I've bought parts from Sidewinder for years, and I trust them, take a look at the silver strip to see if it's still silver or gray or even charcoal gray (harmless tarnish).
If they got a hold of a bad batch (fakers are everywhere), your silver could be what reacted...and yeah, my real silver came from them, so I do trust them.

It's still shiny silver!

What color would it be if it was fake?

Since the water is yellow, I'd expect the silver to have turned yellowish and powdery if that were the culprit.

I was thinking of the Chinese jewelry makers using cadmium in place of silver...

Ok so I've only used the computer a few times in the past month. The water started becoming murky again. I just finished swapping out the water again, as I need to RMA my cracked reservoir, and I don't want a bunch of gunky water sitting in the loops for a week.

I pulled out the silver coil and saw this tarnish on it:

Silver Coil Spotting.jpg

It don't look like a build-up so much as an erosion of a silver-colored top coating. I'm afraid I may have been working with a fake silver product.

I need to RMA the reservoir, but I don't want this getting any worse sitting there. If it is fake, should I circulate some biocide through so I can RMA and then maybe order a silver plug from a reputable company, as someone suggested above?

I'm also a little concerned about the contaminant having built up in the blocks. Right now it doesn't seem to be affecting temperatures, so I think if I can get this taken care of, the blocks will be fine until it's time for regular maintenance cleaning.

Any advice is welcome.

Back