• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Murky Res Water w/silver & PTN??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GearingMass

So I've had this loop together for about two weeks on a new build.
3-4 drops of PTN & a Silver Coil were added pretty much immediately after filing and bleeding.

Now, as you'll see in the pictures below, the reservoir water looks murky and has a yellow/green tint to it.

Could something already be growing in the loop, and if so…how? I have two types of biocide in there - should I have had more?

Since it's only looked like this for a couple days, would replacing the water and re-adding PTN be a full solution, or do you think something has already grown in there?

Close Res1.jpg

Close Res2.jpg

Distant Res Front.jpg

Distant Res Angle.jpg

I don't want to say it looks like growth but it does look a bit cloudy. It could be the lighting, I am not sure.

Can I ask what type of tubing you're using? I think it might be the same white I am using with my degraded flow.

I don't want to say it looks like growth but it does look a bit cloudy. It could be the lighting, I am not sure.

Can I ask what type of tubing you're using? I think it might be the same white I am using with my degraded flow.

It's Primoflex Advanced LRT

You cleaned the radiator out well before using it?
The rad dance is required!

If something has started to grow, would replacing the water/PTN be enough to solve the problem if it's taken care of now?

Good Man!
It might be the PTN in the water, I've had poor luck using dead-water and a coil, and ended up using the coil only for the last few years.
It precipitated bluish-turquoise crystals in my block's pins...

It almost looks like a little dye was left in there. Are any parts used?

Do you have a syringe or something to pull some water out? You might try it to make sure it actually is the water and not a mix of the lighting and res discoloring it.

Ok so your advice is replace the water and just use one type of biocide?
Which one, because this computer is running the pump maybe an hour a day if I have time to game. Would dead water be better sitting there most the day, or silver...

I'd go with just the silver personally, my rig will sit for a week without running and is still crystal clear after more than two years.

Stoopid iPad is just too handy sometimes!

It almost looks like a little dye was left in there. Are any parts used?

Do you have a syringe or something to pull some water out? You might try it to make sure it actually is the water and not a mix of the lighting and res discoloring it.

All new parts. I do have a half liter angled squirt bottle, so I'll go pull some water out and see what color it really is. Good advice.

Yeah I'm pretty positive it's the water not the lighting.

I'll pull it all out, refill with fresh distill, and then pull out some more and repeat to try and get as much of the PTN out as possible, rinse off the silver and then try again and see if it re-discolors.

Murky Bottle.jpg

Wow, that looks like recycled Budweiser! :rofl:

Maybe the PTN just had a bad reaction with something in the loop, but the silver alone won't.

Just to make sure, did you use distilled water. If you did not, and just used tap water, I could see this easily happening. If you did use distilled water (or not for that matter), then just drain the loop, and refill with more distilled. I would run it for a couple hours, then repeat the process. When you are done flushing, just refill with distilled and the silver. This should take care of it.

Eww, that's nasty! I would start with draining it, then refill it, run it for a little while, drain again, then fill and see how it goes.

My two recent builds both had PTN and a silver coil and haven't had anything like that so I'm stumped. I seem to remember people getting bad silver coils a while back, where did you get your silver?

EDIT: Greg beat me to it. :)

Thanks so much for your advice guys, it is definitely 100% distilled water.
I will drain and flush a couple times until I'm sure most the old dead water is out, and then just leave it with the silver.
I'm hoping that fixes the problem!

Edit: I got the silver on Amazon, seemed to be the only kill coil on there. I want to say it was from Sidewinder computers, but I can double check if need be.
Edit_2: It's PT's silver sold by Sidewinder off of Amazon.

Last edited:
I use only distilled water and it has worked out for me for a few years now. I use to add pt nuke until I ran out. Put only distilled water and never looked back.

Yeah, I bet it was the PTN reacting with something :shrug:

There's very little chance something started growing in there with PTN and Silver in the loop for just two weeks.

Going to stick with Silver from here on out.

Yup, can't go wrong with just distilled water and kill coil. I do believe from time to time you want the loop in motion otherwise say if you had a windowed rig by a window where the sun beams inside of it and hasn't been run in a while could start something up but highly unlikely.

Yup, can't go wrong with just distilled water and kill coil. I do believe from time to time you want the loop in motion otherwise say if you had a windowed rig by a window where the sun beams inside of it and hasn't been run in a while could start something up but highly unlikely.

Haha well I'd like to use it as much a humanly possible, but that all depends on workload :rain:

Luckily, though, I have it on the side of my desk away from the window, so it gets zero direct sunlight during the day :thup:

Back