• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Murky Res Water w/silver & PTN??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It looks like that one fitting caused all this, I mean once you started to get the rust particle in there they just acted like sand paper to the rest of the fittings and broke them down. Aren't most of the parts Swiftec, I'd make a case with them, they can't replace your parts if you don't ask. Seriously sucks, I'm finally getting my loop fitted and assembled so this got me slightly worried about my parts. guess I'll find out soon enough.

Wow. Sorry to say this but your loop looks completely destroyed. Its obviously corrosion and that a supposed coated piece broke out and spread it to the rest of the loop. I mean the rad looks trashed, GPU block as well etc. I mean as you can see, the CPU cleaned up with out much damage but not sure you can say the same thing for the radiator and GPU. I mean you can't get into the radiator unless you slice it in half but like I said, it looks like a goner and the GPU block unless you're able to open it up and see what you can do to salvage it. It is possible the rad can be salvaged as well but you won't know till you see the insides.

This is really unfortunate. Its very possible this started by a bad coated batch of fittings. I mean that one fitting really shows some extensive corrosion going on. It could be the startup point. I would even make a case with Swiftech on that fitting but than again, most of these companies might say you didn't use a anti-corrosive inhibitor and so its on you, etc.

I feel for you Gear and hope they do you right.

Unfortunately, that does seem like the cause now :rain:

I will definitely be sending an email over to Swiftech, along with a link to this thread, and see what they have to say for themselves - they're not currently my favorite company.

I'm no expert on water cooling (by any means), but that looks to me like rust in your loop. From what kind of metal I couldn't say. I've seen my fair share of rust in plumbing though. Definitely looks like the coating came off from several of your fittings though, a shame it looks like all your troubles were caused by a manufacturing defect/bad batch of parts.

Also, the reason the Vinegar solution turned blue/turquoise was because it was reacting with the Copper in your loop. Vinegar is an acid, and it eats away at (dissolves) Copper. It's Copper Acetate mixing with the Vinegar solution as a result of the chemical reaction taking place between the two.

It certainly is. Thanks for the solving the color mystery!

It looks like that one fitting caused all this, I mean once you started to get the rust particle in there they just acted like sand paper to the rest of the fittings and broke them down. Aren't most of the parts Swiftec, I'd make a case with them, they can't replace your parts if you don't ask. Seriously sucks, I'm finally getting my loop fitted and assembled so this got me slightly worried about my parts. guess I'll find out soon enough.

Yes they are :-/

To be fair, don't undermind Swiftech as they are still a great PC custom water cooling company. These things do happen from time to time to everyone but not as often as some would think.

I will list the things I own from Swiftech that have worked flawlessly and still do.

- Swiftech Apogee XL
- Swiftech Apogee HD (Currently not being used)
- Swiftech Apogee XT (Currently not being used)
- Swiftech factory block on my EVGA GTX 780 Classified
- Swiftech Maelstorm-35X2 Reservoir/Pump combo (x2 Swiftech Branded MCP35X pumps in serial)
- x9 Swiftech Helix 120 PWM fans
- x3 Swiftech 8-way PWM Splitter

I might be forgetting a couple pieces but just to show its not all that bad. Don't forget, EVGA used Swiftech GPU waterblocks on their premium lined GPUs for quite some time (years) before the recent switch to EK.

From my experience with Swiftech and Gabe/Brian, they are great folks over there and do believe they might be able to help you.

Nonetheless, keep us up-to-date. :salute:

I know, I know, these things are relatively rare and Swiftech is know for it's high quality (I chose all these parts because of everything positive I'd heard about them). It's hard to watch your project burn down in flames, though, and still feel peachy about the company that supplied the (faulty) parts.

I'll reserve further judgement, though, until I talk to them directly. Will continue to update as we go.

Gear, this might help as another member on this forum, JeremyCT on his thread is displaying a newly purchased Swiftech QDC that looks rusted up a bit.

Gear, this might help as another member on this forum, JeremyCT on his thread is displaying a newly purchased Swiftech QDC that looks rusted up a bit.

Oh wow, yeah that looks similar to what my springs looked like.

Update: Bryan at Swiftech has fielded my case and passed it on to their engineers. I will let you know when I hear from them.

Back