• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i left my motherboard in the sun...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you're not familiar with certain odors you may be overly sensitive to them until it becomes a part of your routine. It's natural. Part of your survival mechanism. Familiarity breeds company is the old saying.

If you're not familiar with certain odors you may be overly sensitive to them until it becomes a part of your routine. It's natural. Part of your survival mechanism. Familiarity breeds company is the old saying.

Totally agree. I gave up smoking... My blood oxygen has gone from 6.7 to 98% and now the streets of the uk smell like urine and dog poop. I smell good though :D

In all honesty electronics out of the anti static bag make me feel a tad queezy :)
And leaded solder... Not that rohs compliant wussy solder :D

Your board's base material is a resin soaked fiberglass. The resins will continue to off-gas for ages as the thinners in the resin itself evaporates. Sitting out in the heat of the sun simply accelerated the process and it will go away in a short time. No worries as long as you don't lock it in a plastic bag and huff the vapors...

BTW, sniffing motherboards is grounds for questioning one's sanity, you know that, right? :D

I used to eat the paste as a kid, now they tell it's not toxic... man... kids don't have much fun these days.

ok guys ... might sound fun but i tried smelling 4 different motherboards i had at home and they all smell the same :) so it's not the sun that made that smell, it's the smell of asus motherboards, and it's nowhere as **** as the smell i hear from the predator x1 or corsair psu...i will return the psu and chasis, but the motherboard is fine, to make you understand, if i sell the psu as a chemical bomb to terrorist they would buy it because it does smell like a chemical bomb

Your board's base material is a resin soaked fiberglass. The resins will continue to off-gas for ages as the thinners in the resin itself evaporates. Sitting out in the heat of the sun simply accelerated the process and it will go away in a short time. No worries as long as you don't lock it in a plastic bag and huff the vapors...

BTW, sniffing motherboards is grounds for questioning one's sanity, you know that, right? :D

yes you are right the smell is similar to resin

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the PSU used or New?

If new don't bother with returning it, they tend to have a strong odor when new.

new but to be honest bye corsair and bye aerocool, both products smells like in 1-2 year they could give me a cancer.:thup:

ok guys ... might sound fun but i tried smelling 4 different motherboards i had at home and they all smell the same :) so it's not the sun that made that smell, it's the smell of asus motherboards, and it's nowhere as **** as the smell i hear from the predator x1 or corsair psu...i will return the psu and chasis, but the motherboard is fine, to make you understand, if i sell the psu as a chemical bomb to terrorist they would buy it because it does smell like a chemical bomb

yes you are right the smell is similar to resin

we tried to tell you that its normal, but you refused to believe us experts. to think you were this ignorant.

unsubscribing. im not gonna let this thread stress me out.

I say start smelling all the other electronic devices in your home, and let us know what happens.

we tried to tell you that its normal, but you refused to believe us experts. to think you were this ignorant.

unsubscribing. im not gonna let this thread stress me out.

sorry i stressed you, but i really don't want to have this smell in my house.
it's like a chemical junk chasis
and for the power supply, even worst, really a chemical bomb

I'm in agreement with others, I am unsubscribing. You don't seem to want to listen to what the rest of us have to say. It is your right as an individual to do what you want and waste time and money returning things that more than likely don't have anything wrong with them at all. I wish you luck with future purchases of computer equipment.

sorry i stressed you, but i really don't want to have this smell in my house.
it's like a chemical junk chasis
and for the power supply, even worst, really a chemical bomb

when you buy a case or power supply that doesnt smell like this let me know sir :)

at one time my grandson knocked over my everclear glass and it went right in the top of my haf-x case with a sreaming fx at high volts.
the blue djjins and orange afrits came out and made my little suga bee use bad words to me.
the whole house stunk for a week and so did the bad words coming from suga bees mouth.

I cannot believe that a motherboard can smell since it has no olfaction. It is your nose that smells man. Not the motherboard....:rofl:

I find this thread kinda funny really. Everything you bought is smell, you must be so sensitive in electronic circuit board odor. I purchased all my components new but the odor you are talking about are not really strong enough to bother me or my family members.

il have to admit when i first built my mini itx rig first time i stepped in the kitchen from another room (it runs in the kitchen 24/7) i could smell it but the smell went away after a few days. but its normal and does go away relatively fast.

I like that new electronics smell though...

It's kinda like the new car smell; It's chemical vapors that are probably bad for you, but it makes you feel like your money was well spent.

:rofl:

I saw magic blue smoke before coming out of the oven and I was like, "No! The fire alarm is going to go off!" (early 1990s) :D

Back