• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i left my motherboard in the sun...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

noxiousvegeta

Registered
i left my motherboard in the sun with the heatsink of the cpu on and rams for a hour or so, now it kinda smells. Is it toxic to use?

i just got the predator x1 devil edition from ebay and once i opened it i noticed it smells like chinese-plastic-chemicals. :bang head

i left it all night outside getting some fresh air, the smell didnt go away.
should i return it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sitting in the sun for that amount of time should not be an issue, assuming you didn't have creatures trying to make it their home and it stayed dry.

Since I don't have the board to smell, I have no idea. It could be the plastics or components giving off something from getting warm. If it looks ok, I wouldn't worry about it.

Again with smells? How many threads on your hardware smelling do you plan making? I wi merge this later... Stick to one thread per general.subject.

i just got the predator x1 devil edition from ebay and once i opened it i noticed it smells like chinese-plastic-chemicals. :bang head

i left it all night outside getting some fresh air, the smell didnt go away.
should i return it?
:rofl:

No.

Last edited by a moderator:
totally normal. in fact, what you are smelling is probably the "brand new" smell that comes off freshly made motherboards back at the motherboard factory. its like buying a new set of legos and smelling that "brand new" lego smell or, as i like to put it, scent.

same goes for your case. really, don't worry about it. if its brand new or has been kept in good clean condition, this is usually expected. this usually goes away after a while though.

totally normal. in fact, what you are smelling is probably the "brand new" smell that comes off freshly made motherboards back at the motherboard factory. its like buying a new set of legos and smelling that "brand new" lego smell or, as i like to put it, scent.

same goes for your case. really, don't worry about it. if its brand new or has been kept in good clean condition, this is usually expected. this usually goes away after a while though.

there is a misunderstanding, the motherboard is not new, i just left it in the sun and i don't know if it heated enough to start emitting toxic smells.

and for the chasis, one night and one day in fresh air and the smell is as strong as before, no difference.

i also recieved a power supply that smells like toxic from corsair.

so i am starting to think there is something wrong with the local delivery guy. Everything he is brining me smells like really strong chemicals.

This is pretty typical, the non-conductive coatings that are put on PCBs (Printed Circuit Boards) usually have an odor to them. By having the motherboard out in the sun it probably just heated that up enough for it to produce and odor again. I really wouldn't worry about it. What you are smelling is probably the New Electronics Scent and will go away.

did i say the board is new? it smells that way because it was heated up in the sun just like it was back at the factory when it went through the soldering oven. this goes for everything else you are smelling. stop worrying about it.

lmao

That sound's like something I would do !

" I spilled beer on my motherboard than I put it in rice to dry now it smell like SAKI !! "

blue smoke? i think of something i`m not allowed to talk about:rofl:

Well there is one illegal substance that DOES smell like burnt plastic kinda .

::cough;cough;corack;crack, cough,couch::

which might make you leave your motherboard in the sun,
or your baby in a hot car.......

:eek:

Your all weird.... electronic sniffers convention :sly:

Next up taste test!

Someone eat a motherboard... If you live I may eat a gpu.
I love fringe science :)

Your all weird.... electronic sniffers convention :sly:

Next up taste test!

Someone eat a motherboard... If you live I may eat a gpu.
I love fringe science :)

My friends Xbox got the red light of death one time.
and we were all just staring at it.

after a long silence and staring .

woody said...." well......can we smoke it ? "

SMOKE THE MOTHERBOARD !!

Back