• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Any need to reinstall Windows when swapping different CPUs from same generation?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ninjacore

I will probably be cycling through a few different Haswell CPUs over the next month or so for some testing and was wondering if I'll need to reinstall Windows each time?

CPUs in question:
i5 4670k
i5 4690k
i7 4770k
i7 4790k

Thanks

I have found that it is not necessary to reinstall windows when swapping to different cpu generations / motherboard platforms. For example, I took a Windows Vista installation from a C2D socket 775 E6300 combo and got it happily running with a Haswell socket 1150 Pentium G3258.

Similarly, you can even swap from an AMD to an Intel based combo, or vice versa. It is just a matter of stripping hardware drivers out of windows so it boots generically, and then installing the necessary drivers for the new hardware.

In your case, though, I assume the motherboard will remain the same throughout. In that case there is literally nothing to do. Windows will just work.

Swapping CPUs on the same board isn't an issue but I definately wouldn't do it across platforms. There's more to an OS than just Drivers.

Swapping CPUs on the same board isn't an issue but I definately wouldn't do it across platforms. There's more to an OS than just Drivers.

Yea, I wouldn't even consider it for a motherboard or OS-drive swap.'

Thanks all.

After the swap, make sure to verify under BOOT Advanced Options that "Number of processors" is still unchecked.

No, that's really all there is. A windows install is a windows install, it is the drivers that define which hardware it works with. If you like to do extra work then hey, knock yourself out and do a fresh install. That's your choice. I am just saying that it's a fact you do not need to reinstall when you switch platforms.

There are some caveats - I wouldn't attempt a platform switch if you're running a raid 0, for example (although raid 1 should be fine). But for the vast majority of situations, you can very easily swap platforms and have Windows up and running in minutes.

No, that's really all there is. A windows install is a windows install, it is the drivers that define which hardware it works with. If you like to do extra work then hey, knock yourself out and do a fresh install. That's your choice. I am just saying that it's a fact you do not need to reinstall when you switch platforms.

There are some caveats - I wouldn't attempt a platform switch if you're running a raid 0, for example (although raid 1 should be fine). But for the vast majority of situations, you can very easily swap platforms and have Windows up and running in minutes.

I would still run a sysprep when changing platforms :thup:
(That's how I keep my benchmarking/review images)

I stick to my previous statement, once the OS has chosen it's HAL it doesn't change it again. So depending on the hardware involved ( which may or may not support certain features) , it may or may not work. I use fresh OS all the time it's really not a big deal.
I have had difficulties on the same OS on the same board when installed under a single core processor and then dropping an 8 core in.

Or maybe I'm just wrong :shrug:

I stick to my previous statement, once the OS has chosen it's HAL it doesn't change it again. So depending on the hardware involved ( which may or may not support certain features) , it may or may not work. I use fresh OS all the time it's really not a big deal.
I have had difficulties on the same OS on the same board when installed under a single core processor and then dropping an 8 core in.

Or maybe I'm just wrong :shrug:

As long as you're using an ACPI HAL (read: newer than P2) then using sysprep will update the HAL.

Thanks ATM , didn't know of this tool before now.

Ya I just quickly checked it out and looks like the cat's starfish to me.

Back