• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Memory To Use.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JohnBoy55

Registered
Hi all. Trying to determine which of the two GSkill memory to use.

First ones are GSkill Ripjaws Series X 8GB (2X4GB) (PC3 12800) DDR3-1600 Model# F3-12800 CL9D8GBXL, with a Cas of 9 and Timings of 9-9-9-24. 1.5 Volt.

Second set are GSkill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2X4GB) (PC3 12800) DDR3-1600 Model#F3-12800 CL9D-8GBRL, with a Cas of 9, and Timings of 9-9-9-24-2N. 1.5 Volt.

Building a new budget build for my 12 year old son, with a Gigabyte Z97X-

SLI Motherboard, Intel i3-4330, EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti, Corsair CX Series CX 750 Modular PS. I have all the components, still boxed up, with exception of the memory.

I know the CX 750 is a bit overkill, but wanted to future proof down the road, to later upgrade to a I-5 and better Video Card, but being in a budget build right now, I thought this would be a good starter build for him at the present.The only thing that is throwing me is the Memory. Both of the two has the same Cas Latency of 9, and Timings of 9-9-9-24, but the Ripjaws timings has 2N at the end. (9-9-9-24-2N). What is 2N?

Which of the two sets would be "best" suited for this build. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

They're the same, just use which ever you like the looks of better.

2N is the command rate. Both sets will be the same for that, but one specifies it.

The only difference between the two is the color of the pcb board. The GBXL is a black board which looks better in all builds and the GBRL is the standard green ugliness. (granted it will mostlikely be in a case where u cant see it) but Whichever is cheaper do that one.

RipjawsX are newer series so in theory better for Z97 platform. Changes will be almost only in SPD/XMP profiles so more in sub timings as main timings are the same.
In real both kits should perform about the same.

Back