• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Terminal or Virtualizing software?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

I dont know if this goes in here or if it goes in Networking?

I have a problem to solve, or at least try to.

At my work, we use a small dos based program. This software cannot, and WILL not be replaced!

It runs on 32bit system. With 32bit being pushed a side we need to find a way to run this software. Dosbox will run it, but will not run the printer scripts, i have spent many hours trying to get it to work without any luck!

I was recently speakings to my father in law, and he works with Networking and such.

He mentioned that we should consider terminal software, or virtualizing software. So that we launch the software on the server, but it opens in a window on the desktop pc that the users are sitting at. We have domain based system with Small business server 2003, which will also not be replaced.

I know many of you will say, update, get newer and so on, but i really want to make this clear right now, IT WILL NOT HAPPEN!

My father in law, said this software is out there, but he could not remember who made it, or what i needed to search for.

Does anyone here have any ideas as to where i can start my search?

We currently run Windows 7 32bit pro, and are able to launch it in windows from network path, but we are looking into Surface Pro tablets with 64bit, plus we have a few 64bit machines, so its becoming a need to find this software. I have been told its out there, please help me find it.

I was told there are free versions and pay versions, if it works like we need it, paying for the software is not an issue.

i hate to break it to you but if it runs in windows 7 x32, it will run in windows 7 x64.

i hate to break it to you but if it runs in windows 7 x32, it will run in windows 7 x64.

It simply will not. I amongst many others have tried, it will not run like it should on x64, and your response honestly doesnt help me at all.

The x64 versions refuse to run it as a working software.

I've dealt with a similar situation where I work. The installer to the program they needed was in 16bit, but the program itself was 32bit, thankfully. 64bit will not run 16bit code because it doesn't have the libraries.

Whether you should run terminal or virtualize depends on a few things. How many users are going to concurrently access the program? Does it run ok with multiple instances running? If not many need to run it at the same time, I'd virtualize. If there are a lot that need to run it and the program plays nice with multiple instances, terminal.

Have you considered using the "XP Mode" (virtual machine) that you can get with W7 Pro for free?

I've dealt with a similar situation where I work. The installer to the program they needed was in 16bit, but the program itself was 32bit, thankfully. 64bit will not run 16bit code because it doesn't have the libraries.

Whether you should run terminal or virtualize depends on a few things. How many users are going to concurrently access the program? Does it run ok with multiple instances running? If not many need to run it at the same time, I'd virtualize. If there are a lot that need to run it and the program plays nice with multiple instances, terminal.

Have you considered using the "XP Mode" (virtual machine) that you can get with W7 Pro for free?

Its 8 or 16bit software, not sure on that one.

We have tried XP mode, but its way to heavy to run for such a simply program.

The software is user based and takes a max of 10 users as it is right now.

What we need is, the software to launch on the server, but the visual part to appear on our screens. I explained this to my father in law, and he said theres more then one piece of software to handle this, and but he could not remember the name, he mentioned something along the lines of VID software? But I cant be sure.

As it is right now, its running off our server, on a driver, and then shortcut to our desktops.

We need software that when clicked, opens a window, and inside launches the software on the server.

Unlike Dosbox which launches it on the individual pc, still the software from the server.

Dosbox CAN work, the problem is, all the printers are scripted to work threw the LPT ports, which dosbox does not support, and the mods made to make LPT ports work, do not work. The other issue with dosbox is that is also slows the program waaaay down.

I have seen programs that do what you want, but the only one I know of is Citrix. I'm guessing that is way outside your budget.

Well that depends, which Citrix software. If it works, im sure my boss is fine with posting money into it.

Would it be VDI in a box? They have trials, so i can test it out.

virtualize tinyXP/2000-XPLite on client PC`s. That`s what i can think about. It should be able to run. I was also thinking if anyone knows apps like wine but for windows that only run the necessary libs.

Agreed with above, the cheapest solution is to virtualize older machines and have users RDP into them. I had to do this for a COBOL class in college where the professor made us use a DOS based compiler that wouldn't run inside Windows 7. The more elegant solution is, as thiddy mentioned, Citrix. I'm sure there are other vendors and applications that will do it, but Citrix is sort of the industry standard. The licensing and hardware costs are pretty expensive. We have a relatively small farm at work (only 5 servers) that hosts just a few apps for the dozen or so users that don't need access to everything via VPN.

Back