• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Intel i7 5960X Haswell-E CPU Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

It's another release day for Intel, and this time around the new Haswell-E socket 2011-v3 CPUs take center stage. Their flagship CPU for this new release is the i7 5960X Extreme Edition, which is what we'll be taking a look at today. This is Intel's first foray into a desktop 8-core processor, and it sits on the new X99 chipset that supports the much anticipated DDR4 memory standard. Does all this new technology warrant upgrading your system? Hopefully, we can help you answer that question.
... Return to article to continue reading.

Thanks for the great review!

Looks like the other CPUs are going to be 6 cores. (Dammit! :bang head) Well, looks like I'll be eyeing the 5930k towards Xmas time.

what's the per mhz advantage over haswell? is it actually better at the same speed or is it just more cores?

Haswell isn't socket 2011, Haswell-E is (2011 v3 actually). Haswell is socket 1150 CPUs.

i lost track of sockets for a couple years. it looks like it'll be a few % better than my 3570k at the same speed plus 100-200 more mhz oc potential and better temps with more cores.

Haswell isn't socket 2011, Haswell-E is (2011 v3 actually). Haswell is socket 1150 CPUs.

Asus LGA2011-v3 with more pins without Intel's blessing

Asus brings to the launch of Intel's Haswell-E platform two motherboards in the market. Their own authority with more pins equipped by the manufacturer base to make higher clock rates possible. Intel issued a clear rejection of the modification: The warranty of the CPU deleted.

Intel's Haswell-E processors are equipped with more than 2,011 contact surfaces, but these are not used by the validated socket LGA2011-v3. In production, the additional contacts are used, inter alia, for failure analysis. About a modified "OC base" Asus uses around 60 of these pins from the X99 boards. This is the maximum voltage of 1.9 to 2.0 volts on regular 2.1 to 2.2 volt increase. For extreme overclocking attempts to procure the motherboards have an advantage over the competition.

Home users who let the CPU run at default for a maximum of 1.2 volts, however, can not benefit from this adaptation - on the contrary. How Intel tells on demand of H, the base used by Asus is not validated as part of the platform. Intel announced that the guarantee of the CPU when used in appropriate motherboard goes out formally.

Whether the manufacturer defective CPUs will examine it, Intel left nothing to the start of the platform. Recognition can be of use in the "OC base" easily. The otherwise unused contact surfaces of the CPU, have been in contact with the pins of the socket, have identifiable contact points. Asus emphasized to H, problems with the specially developed base can not expect, should the " normal and reasonable , however, "use what appear, Asus warrants.

source

He'll of a review as usual! What a beast!

what's the per mhz advantage over haswell? is it actually better at the same speed or is it just more cores?
A bit of that data is in the review.. m basically the same.difference as ivy bridge to haswell since its essentially the exact same architectural move. ;)

Thanks for the review! Your the only one I saw out of many that hit 4.8 benching. Lot maxing out at 4.5, but dont if chip or just reviewers not pushing it, probably some of both.

Remember, the review chips are typically ES chips. They have probably been binned as well. Wait a few weeks to see what the public has to say about how well this performs.

Great review as usual.

Vendors with many chips have already said they are seeing same clocking, that 4.4 to 4.5 seems to be the best to hope for, with few going above to 4.6, and several that wont get even 4.3 stable.

Haswell E is so far looking like Haswell at launch. But yeah, we will see for sure only when more people get them.

I cant imagine the review samples were binned, given the poor overclocking of some of them, unless mainstream is surprisingly even worse. But really Haswell, DC, IVY the ES in reviews pretty much clocked like retail.

If this processor can run 4GHz full load 24/7 I'd definitely be interested. Anything above 4GHz would be icing on a very nice cake.

If this processor can run 4GHz full load 24/7 I'd definitely be interested. Anything above 4GHz would be icing on a very nice cake.

That's pretty much a given, from what I'm seeing the worst clockers do around 4.2 GHz.

Actually the best CPU ( excluding these LN2 results in rankings ) I saw in your review ;)

Back