• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Questions about upgrading PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gh0sT-NoVa

So my PSU has been a Year old now , so it's time for an upgrade :clap:
Im looking at these two PSU now.

Seasonic X-850 vs P-860.

Both are similar PSU , except one is Platinum and the other Gold.
What's your opinion on this guys ? Should I go with the Platinum or Gold ?

Btw , can I use HWiNFO64 to get my computer's total Wattage usage ??
Or least the major components like CPU and GPU , does RAM uses much Wattage ??

There is absolutely no compelling reason to upgrade your psu. None.

No, hwinfo will not give you system power use.

What does the GPU VRM Power ( In and Out ) is about ? It's showing it in " W "
Is there anyways to actually read my Wattage usage ? Besides using a hardware ?
I mean PSU Calculator is just a rough idea and basically they set it to the maximum wattage your hardwares could use.

Even if you overclock the living daylights out of your cpu, and gpu, there is no need to change your current psu. Why are considering a sidegrade? An 850 watt psu for 850-860?

Even if you overclock the living daylights out of your cpu, and gpu, there is no need to change your current psu. Why are considering a sidegrade? An 850 watt psu for 850-860?

What do you meant by " sidegrade " sorry my English is poor.
For upgrading purpose. No good reasons really. Aesthetic I guess.
Just want a more " badass " PSU in my system :D
Question is , should I go for Platinum or Gold , whats your opinion guys.

Get a Kill-a-Watt meter.

Kill-a-Watt meter

OMG that's so cheap ! I never expected it, I wonder if any is sold here.
I not living in USA. Hmmm ordering one from US could be a hassle.
Is this the most trusted brand ? I don't want it ending up killing my PC or something.

You want a "Badass" PSU this is one of the best ones out there right now. It's also total overkill for your setup, though, it's your rig and your choice. I'd bet you aren't drawing more then 400w for the entire system at 100% load.

I have that exact Kill O Watt meter that Whitehawk linked. It works well but you will also have to take into account it isn't 100% accurate and you will also figure in the Psu efficiency.

We don't have EVGA here , well we used to had a Distributor. Market wasn't so good here for EVGA.
Though I heard SuperFlower are the OEM for EVGA , we do have SuperFlower.
But I didn't want to go with SuperFlower ( though they are alot cheaper ) it's because the color of their PSU and the cables being Sleeved ones.
Another reason Im changing PSU because I want it to be Flat Cables instead.

No ordering over from USA will be out of the question.
1) When and IF I need to RMA , that be a huge headache
2) The Shipment fee will be expensive to Asia here. So in the end it be overprice basically.

But I do have to point out surprisingly this PSU is only 110$ ? That's super cheap indeed
Even for Seasonic X-750 here will cost me around 156$ ( Well I don't have to pay shipment and all )

But I won't be surprise the shipment will be as high as 50 - 60$ even 100$
But even so , as I mentioned , RMA will be a HUGE headache.

Since we have Seasonic here I think I will go with Seasonic.

X-850 - 193$
P-860 - 217$

But my question was should I bother with whether it's Gold or Platinum. Yeah I know the theory , Platinum has higher efficiency etc.
In your opinion does it even matter to you when your buying a PSU ?

OMG that's so cheap ! I never expected it, I wonder if any is sold here.
I not living in USA. Hmmm ordering one from US could be a hassle.
Is this the most trusted brand ? I don't want it ending up killing my PC or something.

I got my Kill-a-Watt at Home Depot, you should be able to get it at just about all Hardware stores.

Uh oh ! I think I might actually need to replace my PSU after.
Something happened guys.
So yesterday I was testing some music , so thing is while I was unplugging my speaker cable and connecting my headphones , when I return to my seat. My PC screen has gone all black , seems kinda like frozen, my monitor shows singal lost ( blinking white LED I have a Dell U2414H , the screen won't show Signal Lost , it will go into sort of sleep mode )
But my PC is still running , it isn't shut down. Fans , GPU ( My 280X Toxic has a LED Logo ) it's all running. Even my keyboard (G510 with LCD screen) is light up but , CPU usage and RAM usage shown on it just frozen.

So I had to hard reset my PC. So I tried starting up my PC again , but it won't boot up !
I mean my PC runs , fan running , GPU etc. But No signal on my monitor nothing , even the CPU light on my casing doesn't blink like it should.
So I tried a second time, and here's the funny part , since as my PC got frozen while I was changing my speaker and headphone jack , so I got paranoid I try unplugging my speaker jack from my soundcard then it finally start up.

And now the next day ,this morning once again my PC had the same problem , I can't boot up. Screen black , PC running etc. My speaker jack was plugged in and my speaker was power on too.
So I turn off my PC , went paranoid again turn off my speaker's power didn't remove my speaker jack from my soundcard. Tried starting again , and it works start up just fine.

Is my PSU dying or is there something terribly wrong with my speaker / soundcard ????
Or worst is there something worst ??

I'm thinking your sound card is going whacko. Have you tried uninstalling it and then boot up the pc to be sure?

Also check your psu with a multimeter . ;)

So far everything seems ok for now. I still had my soundcard plugged in.
I will try to narrow down this problem.
First time experiencing this.
As for the PSU , I've decided to just go with the P-860 :thup:
If my " boot up problem " still can't be solve I will start on another thread.
Hopefully it's nothing much.

Back