• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED New HDD for storing movies etc, old ones are failing (?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
SMART data is updated in real time on the disks. A few hours is enough to see if the values are increasing quickly. If they aren't moving, check at least once a day.

Will SMART report problems with the SATA cable or ports? I thought it was looking at strictly internal operation of the drive.

Also... I have Seagate drives that have operated for years without problems that have accumulated huge numbers for Raw Read Error Rate and Seek Error Rate. I have a feeling that Seagate is reporting something here that may not actually indicate a malfunction. The one I hang my hat on for the most part is Reallocated_Sector_Ct (and then, only if it is growing at a regular rate.)

Will SMART report problems with the SATA cable or ports? I thought it was looking at strictly internal operation of the drive.

Also... I have Seagate drives that have operated for years without problems that have accumulated huge numbers for Raw Read Error Rate and Seek Error Rate. I have a feeling that Seagate is reporting something here that may not actually indicate a malfunction. The one I hang my hat on for the most part is Reallocated_Sector_Ct (and then, only if it is growing at a regular rate.)

How would you rate the reallocated sector count on my drives? Very bad/Bad/Not so bad/Good?

The tests I have run so far indicate 1000 days+ more lifetime, and 100% health. :-/

How would you rate the reallocated sector count on my drives? Very bad/Bad/Not so bad/Good?

The tests I have run so far indicate 1000 days+ more lifetime, and 100% health. :-/

Both drives report 0 re-allocated sectors, so that's Very good in that attribute.
I too will only ditch a drive if the re-allocated count grows. My newer WD Green drive had 1, then I forced the drive to re-map and the drive has been stable ever since.

Which is purely a guess. There is no way for a program, or any person, to accurately predict the drive's health. Same thing with the % health. The drives are showing early signs of failure, simple as that.

Both drives report 0 re-allocated sectors, so that's Very good in that attribute.
I too will only ditch a drive if the re-allocated count grows. My newer WD Green drive had 1, then I forced the drive to re-map and the drive has been stable ever since.

Good to hear! :) Then I might dare to continue using my disks a bit longer until I can afford a better solution, or until the re-allocated count grows and I will have to stop using them. How do you force a re-map?

Which is purely a guess. There is no way for a program, or any person, to accurately predict the drive's health. Same thing with the % health. The drives are showing early signs of failure, simple as that.

Yes I get that, which is why I say indicate :)

So what I've gathered so far is that both disks are in their early stages of dying, and need monitoring to ensure a critical fail doesn't happen before I can replace them. I'll switch ports and maybe cables (if I have spares) and post back the result :)

Good to hear! :) Then I might dare to continue using my disks a bit longer until I can afford a better solution, or until the re-allocated count grows and I will have to stop using them. How do you force a re-map?

Yes I get that, which is why I say indicate :)

So what I've gathered so far is that both disks are in their early stages of dying, and need monitoring to ensure a critical fail doesn't happen before I can replace them. I'll switch ports and maybe cables (if I have spares) and post back the result :)

Re-map = full format. Or a read+write+read with MHDD like I did. It doesn't fix the bad sector, more like swaps it with a spare sector. If you re-map it, and the count increases again, the drive is dead.

Yeah pretty much. Check the SMART values everyday to make sure they aren't increasing. IF they aren't, you have a bit more time to get new drives and to transfer you data over.

I need one last advice from you guys:

Which one would you go for considering my needs? Longevity > Performance. And the way I understand it, "green" disks power down more frequently, making them more susceptible to wear and tear. Any opinions?

I: Western Digital Red 3TB

or

II: Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB

Last edited:
Ended up getting a Toshiba DT01ACA300 to replace the 3 TB seagate disk.

Wow, sorry man I somehow never knew you asked what to get.
It's too late, but just for data only, the Greens from WD are perfect.
To combat the pesky spin down on them, I made a batch file:

Code:
echo lolol > Random.456
move Random.456 Random.123
copy Random.123 Random.456
del Random.123 /s
Start /min Copy_Timeout.bat
exit
Then the other batch file which is simply a delay
Code:
TIMEOUT /T 8 /NOBREAK
:loop
start /min Copyier.bat
:goto loop
exit

I could probably combine them into one batch file but whatever.
It basically copies and deletes a 1Kb file every 8 seconds to ensure the disks never sleep.
That plus the "never turn off disks" in the power profiles prevents spin down.

No worries :)

I have set the power options to shut the HDD down after 30 minutes of inactivity. I read somewhere about disabling head parking on WD Green disks, which I guess the batch file you made will remedy, but do you think that the Toshiba suffer from the same thing? If I remember correctly, the WD Greens would spin down after 8s, so maybe your file should make the random write at just < 8s instead of = 8s?

And also, the Toshiba had 5 reallocated sector out of the box, but it passes the seatools long generic tests (The old HDD did not pass):

Tosh.jpg

Damaged from the get-go?

8 seconds is fine because my Greens host my OS, therefore Winders is always writing to the RAID anyway, that batch just makes sure it keps writing data when the OS is idling.

5 Bad sectors out of the box?
Huh, that's new, never heard of that before - though you screenshot doesn't say that?

From that picture, the Toshiba doesn't have any reallocated sectors. The drive looks fine.

In your screenshot, it would show in the "Data" column, which is currently showing 0000 0000 0000, which is "0" in decimal. The data column is in hexadecimal.

Back