• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop acting like it's overheating but it's not!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

byviolet

So this is really weird and I have no idea what's going on, bear with me. This happened all of a sudden (I updated an audio driver the day it started happening but this is probably just coincidence, rolling back the driver didn't help). I have a clevo w230st if this helps.

-Playing games or using ANY application with the nvidia discrete gpu causes the computer to beep extremely loudly at regular intervals, with lights flashing, then the computer shuts off. This is nearly instant, it takes 10 seconds for it to start beeping.

-However, playing games only makes temps reach 60-70 for both cpu and gpu. In addition, stress testing the cpu and gpu with xtu and getting both up to 90+ degrees does NOT make the computer beep.

-Simply going into bios makes the computer beep and shut off

-I cannot reformat the computer, I set up a bootable usb using rufus but whenever the computer restarts with the usb it begins beeping. Not putting the usb in does not make the computer beep.

-Using only one ram stick at a time (out of my two) does not fix the issue.

-Booting up the computer without the battery pack (plugged in) or booting it up without the computer being plugged in does not help either

-Reapplying thermal paste did not fix anything.

-Reinstalling the nvidia geforce drivers did not help.

So what should I do now?

Back