• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7970 help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Puer Aeternus

Hi All, I need some help here, my Diamond Radeon HD 7970 is not working.

I was at my pc and the screen went grey, I did a reboot and still nothing.
When booting the computer hangs at LED code 62 "Installation of PCH runtime services"
The card is NOT overclocked!
I have not checked temps in a while but the last time I checked temps were fine.

the steps I took:
  • Checked Cables - all secure
  • Fan works
  • 8 and 6 pin are secure for power
  • Plugged the HDMI cable into the integrated Graphics port and it works, so the cable is fine.
  • Re seated the card
  • Tried the Card in the 2nd PCIE Slot - nothing

I did not register my card w/ Diamond (two years old)...whats the cost to RMA it?

Cmos on a video card? Could you clarify, im scratching my head here. The PC itself works fine, using integrated graphics so no need to clear the cmos on the MOBO unless you have some insights.

Cmos on a video card? Could you clarify, im scratching my head here. The PC itself works fine, using integrated graphics so no need to clear the cmos on the MOBO unless you have some insights.

I've simply seen resetting the BIOS cause a 62 error go away before.
Yes, on the motherboard.

They have a 5 year warranty, assuming you registered your card.

Errrr.....no. I sent a ticket in yesterday, cross my fingers and hope something good comes out of this. I may have registered the card but i'll have to scour the email box to see if anything turns up.
Thanks for all the help guys...if any other ideas pop up...feel free to share

Errrr.....no. I sent a ticket in yesterday, cross my fingers and hope something good comes out of this. I may have registered the card but i'll have to scour the email box to see if anything turns up.
Thanks for all the help guys...if any other ideas pop up...feel free to share

Errrr...yes.

Warranty & Approvals
Warranty : One Year Limited Warranty - 5 Year with Registration
According to their website. I looked at other versions and 3rd party retailers. They all said the same thing.

not errr no as in I think you are wrong.....errr no as in I dont think I registered.

I've never had a problem w/ any video card and usually upgrade w/ in 2 or 3 years so often I dont register my cards. This is one time I did NOT register. I checked my emails and there is no info from Diamond other than the support ticket opened for me.

did you try your card in another slot or did you put another gpu where your 7970 currently sits?

the steps I took:

Checked Cables - all secure
Fan works
8 and 6 pin are secure for power
Plugged the HDMI cable into the integrated Graphics port and it works, so the cable is fine.
Re seated the card
Tried the Card in the 2nd PCIE Slot (made sure the dips were turned on for the slots and the bios had the lanes on)- nothing

I do not have another GPU to try out.

the steps I took:

Checked Cables - all secure
Fan works
8 and 6 pin are secure for power
Plugged the HDMI cable into the integrated Graphics port and it works, so the cable is fine.
Re seated the card
Tried the Card in the 2nd PCIE Slot (made sure the dips were turned on for the slots and the bios had the lanes on)- nothing

I do not have another GPU to try out.
Have a friend who can try your gpu on their rig?

Take note people, Diamond has terrible support for their cards. I finally gave up and bought another 7970 (used) on amazon.
Sapphire 7970 HD Duel X, and, there was noo tax on the card, so it cost $250 + $14 shipping. Thats really good considering some of the prices out there for a 7970/280.
Thanks for all your help!!!

Sucks that you couldn't get proper support from Diamond.

Did you try the card's second BIOS switch out of curiosity?
I did try the second bios. I also updated the bios on my MOBO and a few mobo drivers, I fiddled w/ the on board video settings in bios to see if that was causing an issue...turned on and off the pcie slots in bios and on the board itself...no luck.

I am also at a loss as to why the card itself is not working. My only guess is heat but last I checked the temps were in the norm. I wish I knew someone who could try the card in their rig....be shame if the new one arrives and it was a fault the PCIE slots (x4) all along :-/

Back