• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New X99 build and can't decide on motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It will be fired up tonight. The ram landed today, and the CPU block should also land today as well. I should have baseline (stock) testing done and some overclocking tonight as well so I can report back how it feels out of the gate for you at least.

what cpu u got?

It will be fired up tonight. The ram landed today, and the CPU block should also land today as well. I should have baseline (stock) testing done and some overclocking tonight as well so I can report back how it feels out of the gate for you at least.

I'm using old EK block from Supreme series. The same I was using on Z87, Z97 and X79. I've changed mounting slightly as I'm using X79 mounting kit with other block but it fits and temps are good.

That is my problem. I have an old apogee block with no s2011 mounting. And in order to mount that block, I believe I need to take off the socket mounting to use the correct backplate. So I got an EK Supreme as well. Those are EASY BREEZY to install and swap.

New BIOS for MSI X99S SLI appeared yesterday with some more improvements for memory and other things so I think that something for other MSI boards can be released soon.

Even that cheapest MSI X99 board has dual BIOS with manual switch what is great to test various BIOS versions.

Picked up a cheap X99 combo at Microcenter:

i7 5820K - $299
Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 - $219
4 x 4GB Crucial DDR4 2133 - $199

Runs nice - only did the EasyTune auto overclock to 4.2 GHz which runs perfectly. Using my old Cooler Master Hyper 212 HS/Fan. Ran Cinebech 11.5 before and after the overclock. The CPU score went from 11.05 to 13.60 due to this easy one-click Overclock.

350ugax.jpg

I am thinking of my next build which may help you think abt yours. Asus x99-Pro Mobo, 16BG Crucial ddr4 memory, 850 Evo 500gb SSD, Segate 3tb hard drive, CM Storm Stryker case, Mk 270 Wireless mouse/Keyboard, A few cables here and there and re using a HDTV as monitor Samsung smart tv
UN32F5500azxfa. I left out cm seidon 240M cooler (my first water cooled unit). I will overclock this unit and later make 4k. GPU is an EVGA GTX 970ACX and will most likely get an Asus P278Q 4k monitor

Back