• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New X99 build and can't decide on motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bobjackson

Registered
Hi everyone,

A had planned anew build based around an i7-4930k, ASUS X79 Deluxe, 32gb RAM, and probably a GTX 780 6gb, but I figured I'd wait to see what the prices of the new hardware would be.

Doing the same build, but with a 5930k, X99 motherboard, and DDR4 would add about $300 to my original total (mostly because of the RAM). My original build would still be plenty, but I just can't go with that when brand new, updated hardware is only $300 more.

But now I can't decide on an X99 motherboard. I first was thinking of the ASUS X99 Deluxe, pretty much because it is kind of an X99 version of what I was originally going with. But now I'm also looking at the EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA X99 Classified, and ASUS Rampage V Extreme. Price is a bit of an issue, but the only board that is significantly more expensive is the Rampage.

This build is going to be for video editing/rendering of multiple large files (1080p for now, but likely 4k in the next 2 years), and also photo editing with very high res photos with multiple adjustment layers. There will be very very little or no gaming done on this PC. I also do music production on the side, and better audio components on the motherboard are a benefit.

Even my original plan was overkill for what I need right now. But I want to be set for at least the next 5 years, without having to buy a new CPU or GPU when editing inevitably gets even more demanding on a system. The first thing I will llikely add to the PC down the road would be a second GTX 780, maybe in a few years.

I'm leaning more towards the ASUS boards because they have way more USB 3.0 slots. But on PC Part Picker is states that 3 of those 4 boards have "8x240 pin" DIMM slots. Is this just a typo, because don't all DDR4 sticks have 288? Also, when it states the memory standard, is that the speed of RAM you should be using with the motherboard? The X99 Deluxe lists half a dozen speeds, but the other 3 boards list DDR4 2667, DDR4 2667, and DDR4 3000+ (O.C.). Does this mean I'd have to use 2667 MHz RAM with those 2 boards?

I know these are probably basic questions, but this is the first PC I"ve built, and since I bought my last PC (which was pretty sad even when it was new) I've become very serious with photography and video production, and what I have now is not even close to capable.

I have spend no money on computers for about 6 years, so I'm prepared to spend a decent amount to get up to date and be set for the somewhat near future.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer advice of which motherbaord would be best.

I don't think that motherboard will make any other difference than memory overclocking.
I already know that MSI boards have problems with memory clocks. That's pretty usual as all their boards have problems with higher memory clocks.
Last EVGA series had various issues with BIOS and some other things. In this case better wait and read some reviews.
Rampage is always expensive and buying it for daily PC is a waste of money. It's good option almost only for benchmarking.

I'm also looking for a good board and I already see that there are no big differences between all models on the market. I will probably decide on something up to ~$250-300 from ASRock or Gigabyte.

I do plan on overclocking the 5930k a bit, maybe to around 4.0 or so. I was dead set on getting an ASUS motherboard, based on reading many reviews on the top brand boards, but now I'm looking at all my options.

I haven't really looked at Gigabyte or ASRock that much, but I have read of more than a few people recommending ASUS over EVGA, for motherboards at least. The GPU I'm planning on getting is and EVGA though.

I wondering where the OCF is going to land would be thrilled if it is under 300 USD

Think the E6 would make for a great platform for gaming and ambient overclocking

I doubt there will be any special difference between overclocking up to 4.5GHz or maybe even higher. Most boards, even these cheaper have 8 phase CPU power section what is more than enough and for OC on air/water you almost only need higher CPU voltage. Additional overclocking may include memory settings what is usually harder to achieve on cheap boards but even ASRock Extreme 3/4 is supporting memory up to 3300+ so it's actually more than you will need for a daily OC.

I wish to see low price for an OCF. Looking at other mobo prices I doubt it will be below $300 and probably not below $400 in Poland. I could spend up to $400 for OCF but not much more than $250 for any standard board.

As I said, I can't see mobos as the weak point here but CPUs. If I get $400 CPU and $550 motherboard and I make 5GHz on cold then I won't be happy. With such OC results as we see right now the only good benching CPU can be 8 cores but price is killing any point of buying it even for benching. I only expect that 95% results in rankings will be made on ES chips and records are already prepared on cherry picked samples.

I do plan on overclocking the 5930k a bit, maybe to around 4.0 or so. I was dead set on getting an ASUS motherboard, based on reading many reviews on the top brand boards, but now I'm looking at all my options.

I haven't really looked at Gigabyte or ASRock that much, but I have read of more than a few people recommending ASUS over EVGA, for motherboards at least. The GPU I'm planning on getting is and EVGA though.

Stick with your plan and get the Asus x99 Deluxe, it should fit your needs nicely.

I was personally considering the Asrock OC Formula but since its no where to be seen the RVE will be my weapon of choice.

Nice choice sure it will rock

Waiting for the OCF here
Looks like the the MVE is flying off the shelves
Sold out everywhere

Thinking all these high level boards are going to be hard to find

The OCF should be good but I've heard it won't be out until the end of September and I don't want to wait that long. Also heard Shamino had returned to Asus and helped develop the x99 platform so the RVE should be top notch.

If true it will be great to have him working on BIOS updates as all these new boards despite testing are still basically beta editions
End of September will not be to bad, hopefully they are ironing out any short comings the board may have

Shamino or not, still almost everything depends from CPU, not motherboard. In future probably we will see better memory overclocking on MVE or OCF but right now even best DDR4 are pretty average even for these cheapest boards so I don't expect problems with high memory clocks unless mobo manufacturer make really bad BIOS ( pointing at MSI ).

Actually I haven't seen any difference in CPU overclocking on 1155, 1150 and 2011 if I was using ROG or any cheaper series board. Overclocking memory was totally different story as cheaper boards don't have even half memory timings that you can find on ROG or OCF.

I am hopefully some decent kits get released soon as would hate to have to grab a stop gap kit at these prices

A lot of the X99 boards listed on newegg say that they have 8x240 pin DIMM slots, but don't the X99 boards only use 288 pin DDR4? Is this just a typo on the website?

Also, what is the point of the different colored RAM slots? They are usually black, then color, then black, then color. The air cooler I'm getting will interfere with RAM on one side of the CPU. I was planning on just putting all 4 sticks on one side of the CPU, but they will be using 2 black slots and 2 colored slots. Should the RAM be only using all black slots, or the colored ones? Or are these different colored slots just for looks?

Actually the RVE is using a different socket than the competition and they claim it allows for better performance.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/ASUS-Changes-LGA-2011-3-Socket-Into-2017-457088.shtml#

So far performance tests and overclocking results are not showing that ;) Best results in some benchmarks were on the cheapest MSI board so as I already said couple of times, all that really counts is CPU, not the mobo. For sure better build will save you some money on RMA ;)
I thought that price of RVE will be higher. In local stores X99 Deluxe is only ~$30 cheaper. RVE is actually in RIVE price and cheaper than RIVBE. Maybe I will decide on RVE. I already made that mistake on last 2 platforms when I was saving on a mobo and later I bought ROG anyway.

@bobjackson,
Colored slots are helping in dual/quad channel memory configuration but really all could be in the same color.

i also picked a a x99 chip, but cant find the rve anywhere :( also i may go with the cheapest ram i find just to boot the system up, then upgrade later

I'm not sure what about the RAM as I had no chance to test any DDR4 but it looks like most available kits are based on similar IC with similar OC potential. At least most results are not much higher than 3000 or something like 2666 at tighter timings. On the other hand almost every review is based on the same Corsair or G.Skill memory so I bet that in 90% cases we see the same IC in tests.
Corsair as usual set prices really high and in Poland almost only their memory is available. Many stores made sets mobo+memory but it's almost only MSI+Corsair. ASUS boards will be available in 3-4 days while I haven't seen any info about ASRock or Gigabyte.

Back