• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should i use G510's sound card or My motherboards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kamran

My keyboard has a sound card, Its the old G510,

Should i use my motherboard's sound card(P8-B75-V) or my keyboard's? Which one is better?!

Neither has a sound card per say. They have a DSP. Almost undoubtedly, your mobo will have better sound. It is an entry level board though so don't expect fantastic sound.

:eek: thanks, i connected it to keyboard because its easier and closer , i wish my keyboard just used my motherboard's jack!!!

You should use the keyboard outputs.
Using sound card or integrated audio of PC is pretty much inferior to any kind of external DAC.
PCs produce a lot of noise that gets picked up by the wiring and pcb of the sound card/chip and may be audible trough headphones or eat some of the amps power by reproducing inaudible frequencies.

ok thanks :)
its good becasue pluging it in my keyboard is a lot easier than my pc's stupid fron't panel jack, needs a lot of pressure !! and sometimes popes out :D and its on my right so i would have cable trouble :p

You should use the keyboard outputs.
Using sound card or integrated audio of PC is pretty much inferior to any kind of external DAC.
PCs produce a lot of noise that gets picked up by the wiring and pcb of the sound card/chip and may be audible trough headphones or eat some of the amps power by reproducing inaudible frequencies.
Even to one that is on a keyboard?

On board sound has come a long way from just a couple years ago.

On board sound is pretty much the cheapest chip possible. I doubt that the chip on the keyboard is worse than that. Even if it is worse separating the chip from PC internals is likely better for overall sound quality.

Like I said, it has come a long way. The latest Realtek codec (1150) or even the last one is pretty solid. It is to the point where you would need a decent set of speakers or cans to notice a significant difference between it and a discrete solution.

Also, a lot of boards have that physical separation. I doubt his cheap board does, but, you would be hardpressed to hear any differences between one that is shielded and one that isn't.

I would have to bet good money says whatever is in a keyboard is worse than modern on board.

The OP also failed to list what motherboard he even has so we can actually make an informed choice for him........If its a crap codec, then go for it, if it isn't, then he should TRY HIMSELF to see which sounds better.

EDIT: I did read a review on it and the sound card on the G510 was dubbed 'adequete' and 'and also sounds better than a basic motherboard sound codec'. So let's see if he has a basic codec or a quality one like the last generation or two Realtek... then he can see for himself.

I am curious Kam... why didn't you just try and see what sounds better?????? You would have your answer a lot quicker that way. ;)

Last edited:
Even the physical separation of the sound chip and it's circuitry on the motherboard won't really help with the noise issue that much. as long as the digital to analog conversion happens inside the PC case there will be a lot of noise.
Much of the noise in PC is transmitting trough air and that's why some manufactures try to shield their sound cards. In reality this shielding is nearly useless unless you case the whole card in it.
Most of this physical separation and shielding stuff is just for marketing.

I totally agree that the DACs on motherboards are pretty decent now days but it really doesn't help that much. It's like trying to set up a recording studio in the mall. No matter how good the microphone there will still be unwanted noise around.

That's more of an issue with recording than playback. Nowadays, good onboard audio can exceed 100dB SNR.

it had no noise on my test, it sounded a little better, but not worth the trouble :(

ok , this is funny, and also first, i don't know where my signature is , i never tell part list because its in my signature

im like a fish(as i know they forget soon :) ), i listen to something once i plug it to pc i forget how my keyboard was, then i plug to keyboard, and i forget how pc was , this was driving me crazy :D did the same for 1 hour and threw my headset and said screw this :D

Last edited:
When you post from the mobile site, it does not included your signature... maybe that is why it wasn't showing in your first and third post.

Back