• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to update ASUS Z87-Pro BIOS to 2.00.02 with EZFlash 2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaveMcKeen

Registered
I updated my Z87-Pro BIOS to 1405 x64 on 19 October 2013 following a new build. Now I need to reinstall Windows 7 Pro and would like to update the BIOS to current before I do that.

I do not recognize the directories/files in the BIOS updater for New 4th Gen Intel Core Processors for 2.00.02. Where is the BIOS file? How do I use this updater? I saw the video in the FAQ, but it didn't help.

The videos make it look easy, but when I'm in EZFlash2 I can't find anything it recognizes as a BIOS.

Thanks - Dave

First of all I'd like to say that unless you have some issue ie. usb problems , memory issue. Then it's usually better to leave the BIOS alone. TBH. If ugrading to new CPU Like DC then maybe flash it.
But to your original question
1 Get your bios from Asus support here http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z87PRO/HelpDesk_Download/
2. Have a USB that's formatted in Fat32 and put the file in the root folder of the usb
3. Start PC with the USB inserted and go to BIOS screen, navigate to tools and select EZ flash.
If you have done this the bios file should be visible in the center pane. If it's not look to the right and see if the bios offers multiple sources to look fo the file and make sure the USB is selected.
4. Select file and enter Hit yes to read it and then yes to flash it. The system will restart. Let it do it's thing and DON"T power of or interupt it.

Thanks Johan45!

This thread is a follow-on to one I posted Monday: Win7 PC Badly Hosed: Need Ideas Finding Problem(s) in General Hardware. Since I will be doing a clean install of Windows I figured I'd update the BIOS first.

I did the steps you outlined before posting, but could not identify the actual BIOS file. Shouldn't it have a *.ROM file name?

I really need the help, so if you could download the most recent BIOS file and look at it I'd appreciate it a lot. I downloaded the file under Version 2.00.02, BIOS_updater_for_4th_Gen_Intel_Core_CPU.zip. I extracted it to a USB drive (FAT32) and what I have is a directory tree with directories and files. Nothing looks like a BIOS file. I tried to get EZ Flash to recognize the files in the download but it didn't.

What do you see when you download that update? I'll be very grateful it you'll take a look.

- Dave

Ha , I think I see what's going on. That 2.00.02 isn't a BIOS file it's a bios updater of some sort. Go to the 2005 which has an actual BIOS file along with the updater. Extract it and you'll find this file inside. Z87-PRO-ASUS-2005.CAP

That's it! Thanks gang. It worked like it is supposed to. I am in your debt!

I loaded optimized defaults, enabled XMP and my favorite in AMP set startup from PS2 keyboard to Ctrl-Esc.

Now for some fun reinstalling Windows, installing programs and all the activation hassles.

Any suggestions on benchmarks and torture tests?

- Dave

That's why we hang out here Dave. Good luck with your PC

Back