• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Downgrading Samsung Ativ book 9 lite

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ztdesigninc

Hi Everyone,

I brought a small laptop (click here for details from manufacturer) for my boss to use, but he wants it downgraded to 7 - which is fine so we purchased the necessary software and at boot formated the drive to install the window 7 - but the computer just wasn't having it. It kept saying i couldn't install on the primary partition.

So recovered the drive, and loaded the disc once booted - given option to upgrade?? which essentially means i can create a windows.old and windows - windows 8 plus all the bloatware is taking about 18gb of the SSD, so i just want to get rid of it not keep it as windows.old.

Any suggestions, maybe it is a setting or something??

Cheers

Andy

Just delete the Windows.old directory via the Disk Cleanup utility (Disk Cleanup tab--> Clean up system files).

Andy, if the difficult to use (and annoying for most people) Windows 8 User Interface is the one and only reason for your boss to make this request, instead of going through hours of trouble, just making sure that you know that it is possible to make Windows 8 UI look EXACTLY like Windows 7, with no differences to speak of, and to do this in a matter of minutes.

Thanks for both of your answers To be honest i went down the few hours route and the computer was playing hard to get, but after changing a few options in boot and downloading several hundred upgrades its there! plus i used the disk cleanup to get rid of the old ones.

But did not know the changes in UI - is there a guide

Since majority (more than 50%) of people feel that Windows 8 Metro user interface is horrendous, it seems like 9/10 questions like yours are because people don't know that they can have Windows 7-looking Windows 8 in mere seconds.

Here's what you do:

http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/

ClassicShellCustom.jpg

ClassicShellDisableCharms.png

ClassicShellStartButtonImage.png

Then save this file to your computer. somewhere it won't get deleted, then browse to this button:

Attachments

• ClassicShellWindows7.png
    ClassicShellWindows7.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 1,433
At the very least, we should ask that question immediately after people start 'downgrade to Windows 7' threads. Most of the people downgrading do so because of the UI, some even don't believe Windows 8 can be made to look like Windows 7, but it can, easily, there's no difference b/w my Windows 7 and my Windows 8 partition, plus I get to keep all Windows 8 extras.

Plus you can always use the option to go to Metro with SHIFT + Start Menu Button. You don't have to... but you have that option. And then simply pressing on Escape gets you right back into Windows 7-looking Windows 8.

Back