• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Couple Q's on R9 270X I impulse bought

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

first off I was super stressed out with things going on and was crusing ebay and found a card and popped a bid in thinking it would go for more than my max bid. I've been watching ebay being flooded by cheap cards because of this bit coin thing so I figure I would try to capitalize on it so....

I got a 4 month old Gigabyte R9 270x Windforce...the one with the big *** 3 fan heatsink, for $105 shipped. as far as cooler designs go is this a good card?
was that a good price aswell?

I know a lot of you are probably going to look at my sig and say its the same as my 7870, and yea I know but that's why I went with a 270x so that leads me to my next question...

has any cross fired their 7870 with a 270x here?
and if so, any issues getting it to work outside the usual crossfire some games not optimized for more than 1 gpu thing?

i'm downloading new drivers now, everything is in big mode, gonna install, reboot and fur test the heck out of it and see if its good to go. so far the air coming off of it is cool

Edit:

1 hour of fur burn in and max is 55C @ 100% fan speed. the fan is quiet on this one even at 100% and if I had the side of the case on I don't think i'd hear it in the deep silence 6 I got recently

Last edited:
I think that's the same cooler as on my r9 290 and if it can keep an r9 290 cool then that cooler should be way more than you even need.

Not sure about cross firing those two. I would actually like to know that myself.

They are similar, but not remotely the same. There are 3 fans and more fins/heatpipes on the R9 290 version versus 2 fans and less heatsink/pipes on the 270.

Alright well I expected to run into problems and there were just a few minor ones....well just 2 really

when I plugged both cards in I thought it was interesting the crossfire wizard started up asking me to enable it. I told it no because I didn't have the bridge installed since I was testing out some slots.
ideally I would have liked to have a larger gap between the 2 cards but if I do that I wont have 16x/16x 2.0 it'll go from 16x to 4x on one card if I move it. i'm kind of surprised this biostar 890FXE mobo is still working let alone letting me run 2 cards at 16x each

so any way one problem was trying to get the 7870 to run at the 270x speeds, that was my mistake, I forgot I needed to put a load on it for it to kick on to do it, got it ironed out.

second one was afterburner and kombuster were being weird and would only work for the 270x but I installed a new version and now its working for both again.

any way attachment follows, when I first tested it the case was open and both cards ran roughly the same temp. with the case closed its had a major affect on the top card, little to none on the bottom one. the windforce is on top since it has the bigger cooler. I might have to do some fancy fan work to keep the top card around 50c or maybe its time to replace the motherboard since its starting to give me stability problems. my 960t has been unlocked and overclocked on all 6 cores for some time now and I don't think it was ever meant to handle all that juice

so just a quick recap, the 7870 is a MSI TwinFrozor and the 270x is a Gigabyte Windforce.....some of the lamest names ever

PIC! fuz.png

Back