• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Manual ram overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
As some have said in this thread, I know overclocking the ram beyond the 1600mhz I have it at now or in general isn't really worth it, I just like to know my systems limitations. I leaned on my Fx 9370 and know that it can hit 5.p but barely. Unstable over 5.1 regardless of voltage. I know my r9 290 can hit certain speeds but require too much voltage. Etc etc. I like to know fully well what my system can give me. So I turned my attention to my ram. Alot of good stuff in this thread so far. Learning alot.

Question. Why does intel favor speed over timing? And AMD vice versa?

It's more to what Woomack said, the Imc's on the AMD chips such as the Fx line isn't as strong as the Intels such as the Haswells. So some of the AMD chips cannot do real high ram speed with any kind of stability. Using my 8350 as an example, mine gets really flaky above 2000 Mhz on the ram in order to run higher I need to really loosen the timings. So I run a particular set of benching sticks I have at 2k with 7-8-6 timings, instead of trying to run them at 2133 or above with loose ones. These same sticks are DDR3 2133 with 7-10-7 timings if I try to run them on the Fx 8350 at 2133 I cannot run them at the 7 10 7 timings. Now those sticks on my 4770K I have had as high as 2266 with 8-10-7 timings.

It doesn't. Intel can handle both. ;)

See mandrake's more detailed response.

Lol ugh. Another thing amd chips are beaten at. AMD really needs to push out something new. Preferably with ddr4 capabilities and pcie 3.0. I REALLY don't want to have to buy intel after being red team for so long

Back