• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED best oc for a r9 290

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PePoX

i have a custom watercooled r9 290 and i want to swim in the waters of overclock, because having a card in a custom loop and not overclock it its almost a capital sin so i was wondering: someebody can tell me a good overclock for this card? i mean like a tutorial or something like that, i have a gigabyte windforce r9 290 watercooled as i said many times before and another thing: afterburner or precision x? the first have more options but the second it's like more newbie friendly.. thanks for the answers!

PD: my entire rig consumes a little bit over 489W and i have a 750W EVGA Psu 80+ bronze it's that enough?

Last edited:
PSU should be good.

Different cards perform better with different OC apps. The difference likely won't be drastic, but if you have the time to experiment with it, you should.

Do you have the WF @ 947mhz or the WF OC @ 1040? I didn't see many reviews for either card, but the one I did which had overclocking results, maxed out at 1100 core. I'd bump up in 10-20mz increments, testing at each step for artifacts. When you start to see them, bump up your voltage to +20-30% (whatever the max your app allows) and see if that buys you anymore headroom on the core speed. When you bump up the voltage, that's when I'd really start to keep an eye on temps even though you're WC.

My worse card will do 1100 core on default voltage. My better card will do 1130-1135 on default voltage. Both will do 1200+ with +100mv. I would start at either 1050 or 1075 and work up from there.

PSU should be good.

Different cards perform better with different OC apps. The difference likely won't be drastic, but if you have the time to experiment with it, you should.

Do you have the WF @ 947mhz or the WF OC @ 1040? I didn't see many reviews for either card, but the one I did which had overclocking results, maxed out at 1100 core. I'd bump up in 10-20mz increments, testing at each step for artifacts. When you start to see them, bump up your voltage to +20-30% (whatever the max your app allows) and see if that buys you anymore headroom on the core speed. When you bump up the voltage, that's when I'd really start to keep an eye on temps even though you're WC.

thank you for the feedback and i have the 1040mhz one and well i'll try with precision x because it seems more user friendly and you can oc the voltage even though is not an X version?

My worse card will do 1100 core on default voltage. My better card will do 1130-1135 on default voltage. Both will do 1200+ with +100mv. I would start at either 1050 or 1075 and work up from there.

thank you, and let's see how it go :clap:

Hey pePox. Every card is different as far as overclocking headroom. As was mentioned, some cards may max out at 1100mhz. Others may be able to keep going. Some shine at stock voltage but fall on their face no matter how much more voltage you throw at them. The 290 cards are usually able to reach 1100 mhz without too much hassle though. I have the Powercolor r9 290 pcs+. Got it to 1150/1600 at stock voltage l. Up from 1040/1350. As compared to people reviewing the same card I have and claiming it won't go beyond 1070mhz without a voltage bump. Even the same card from from the same manufacturer may be binned entirely different

Just OC'd my PCS+ 290. At stock voltage, I got up to 1175, but then I think it started throttling. Makes me quite curious just how high this thing will go :)

Back