• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pc build advise... with a twist

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aizan

Hello oc-ers!

I'll get straight into my needs and budget, and then I'll tell you the twist.
I'm looking to build a PC primarily for gaming at 1080p or 1440p IF the budget permits, and a little bit of picture/video editing (photoshop, sony vega etc). I'm also in to photography.
I have a budget of $2000-$2500 SGD (Singapore $). Excluding monitor. I've already have peripherals, mouse keyboard etc.

I understand there are a lot of builds already posted on this forum for similar needs. However, due to my geographical location, prices here are severely inflated and not all of the suggested parts can be found here. I've already done the calculations and if I were to ship in the parts from newegg or amazon it would come to the same price as just getting it locally anyway.

So we Singaporeans turn to a building called 'Sim Lim Sqare' where all the IT stores are grouped into a single tower and that seems to be our go to for pc parts.
Link is a pricelist of a random store within SLS. The prices don't really vary greatly from the different shops.
http://resources.vr-zone.net/pricewatch/uploads/bizgram/1409637633-september_2nd_2014_pricelist.pdf
For comparisons sake, SGD is 1.2*USD.

Your help is appreciated guys!
Cheers!

<you pick a case you like> - $150 (estimate)

DVD R/W - $30 (I think? Not sure on those descriptions..)

Seasonic M12ii Modular 620w - $112

Asrock Extreme 4 & 4790k combo - $662

Cooler Master HYPER 212X CPU COOLER - $57 (There may be a better heatsink or you may be interested in an AIO or something. If so, feel free to grab another. I just know this one is cheap/decent.)

G-Skill Rip Jaw X 2133 CL9 - $123

Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB - $179

Asus R9 290 Direct CU DOWN* - $509

Windows 8.1 Professional 32bit/64bit - $195

Total - $2017

If you're gonna get a 1080P monitor, this should be the perfect build. Will max out all games. If you get a 1440P display, you still have some room in the budget to bump up to a 290X or maybe even just two 290s in Crossfire.

EDIT: The twist was, you might go blind reading that spreadsheet! haha

Yea, I blew the text size way up. :) There was another user a few weeks ago with a similar style pricing sheet from which I put together a build. His sheet needed to be downloaded and viewed in Adobe, which was so much worse.

The only hesitation I had was the Extreme 4. I think the UD3H was a few $ cheaper on the sheet. I've always thought that model lacked a few of the features present in the Ext4, but that could have changed. You're probably fine with either, OP.

You're really not gonna improve on the build ninja posted. It's solid all around and doesn't max your budget. Anything you upgrade from his build, you'll get very little gain in performance for the money spent.

Thank you all and especially Ninja.

It seems your build is unanimously agreed upon. Thanks also for taking the time to go through the sheet. Believe it or not that was on of the more "organized" sheets I could find.

Will get to purchasing and building right away! :clap:

Back