• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Paypal dispute: odds for seller?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ihrsetrdr

Señor Senior Member
Without going into gory detail, I am the seller of an item on ebay, and a new(zero feedback) ebay member bought my item. He then files a dispute claiming "not as described" to mask his apparent buyers remorse, or his inability to read the sale item description.

He has also unilaterally decided to ship it back to me. :rolleyes:

Questions:

1. Will Paypal back me(the seller) or throw me under the bus and grant the buyer a refund?

2. Will I be refunded ebay sellers fees?

3. If the item arrives broken, what is my recourse?

Get the reason why he wants to return it through a message. Ask why it isn't as described. If he says something like "oh I didn't want it", he will lose the dispute because that isn't the right option. However, if it wasn't as described, it depends what the issue is.

Can you message me a link to the sale so I can look it over?

How it should work:

If the buyer didn't like the item he got, and shipped it back to you without talking to you first, you get the item back and get to keep his money. If he wants the item after all, he'll have to pay for you to ship it to him yet again.

How it actually works:

In most cases, PayPal sides with the buyer unless there's an extremely compelling reason not to do so. They'll most likely give him a full refund and you'll have to eat the shipping costs. I think they'll waive your auction fee (including the 9% or whatever they take). If the item arrived broken, your best bet is to file an insurance claim. If the buyer opted not to purchase insurance then technically I think you have the upper hand, but PayPal/eBay might not see it that way.

Who covers shipping depends on the sale. For example, I allow returns, but the buyer must pay to ship it back (I'll refund them shipping costs if it truly is non-functional, but I don't say that outright). His sale does not allow returns, which is why I'm guessing the person did "Not As Described".

How it should work:

If the buyer didn't like the item he got, and shipped it back to you without talking to you first, you get the item back and get to keep his money. If he wants the item after all, he'll have to pay for you to ship it to him yet again.

How it actually works:

In most cases, PayPal sides with the buyer unless there's an extremely compelling reason not to do so
. They'll most likely give him a full refund and you'll have to eat the shipping costs. I think they'll waive your auction fee (including the 9% or whatever they take). If the item arrived broken, your best bet is to file an insurance claim. If the buyer opted not to purchase insurance then technically I think you have the upper hand, but PayPal/eBay might not see it that way.

This seems to be the consensus, from extensive google-searching on the subject. I'll probably consent to a partial refund proposed, won't net much to me, but will be "something".

I shall design a "dispute-proof" auction for Round Two.

I don't have any "aces" left, the buyer already return-shipped it, so I'll end up with physical possession of it Monday.

if for one minute I thought that PP would do-the-right-thing, I would stand firm.

Specifically which part? Do they state any obvious bias towards/against parties in disputes?

Best I can tell you is to read the whole thing. Bias is almost 100% pro buyer.

Example: I lost a dispute over a card that I sold advertised as for parts/not working because the buyer claimed that it didn't work. :sly:
Cost me a refund and shipping and I never got the parts card back because Paypal paid the refund out of my acct before I actually received the card back. To top it all off, the guy neg'ed me and e-bay wouldn't remove it.

I see what you're saying, a bad situation for small sellers. I've always viewed Craigslist in a negative vein, but might be reconsidering...

That's a maddening dam-shame ninja. About 6 years ago I got stiffed for an Apple ibook g3, it was simply that the buyer was a thief, but I was appalled by ebay & paypal's indifference, even though two nearly identical incidents occurred to other ebay sellers with the same buyer, within a short time period. I'm still kinda sore about that...

Yea, it wasn't any fun, but like I said, cost of doing business that way. I try to stick to the OCF classifieds as much as I can.

Well, as expected Paypal settled the Dispute in favor of the Buyer, he got his payment back minus $8(of $20 my shipping cost). My laptop arrived back in my hands, in good shape.
Now to get refunded the final value fee.... on to navigating the endless maze of "Learn More" circular links that will tell you WHAT, but don't ever tell you HOW-TO, only that you can "Learn More. :rolleyes:

What really makes my day is that I got a message from ebay congratulating me on my 14th anniversary with epay:

T8SlBmJ.png

Gosh, I feel all warm & fuzzy. :p

I decided to close my PP account, they don't really need my business, and quite frankly I don't need my money to be in the hands of a business with such a cavalier attitude towards its customers. Too bad, PP is so handy for receiving/sending payments to individuals.

Google Wallet, the FAQ says you can send/receive money via gmail. Hmm, also says " This feature is still rolling out to US Gmail users"....I'll be watching.

Thanks, I believe I shall set up an account and see how well it fits my usage needs.

I just set mine up recently for a transaction here in the classifieds, setup was painless and it's pretty straightforward to use.

Back