• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sabertooth 990fx, able to POST but crashes!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dem

Registered
Okay so, having some major problems with my Sabertooth 990fx, it started last week when my PC was just completely shutting down even while idling, thought it was PSU problem. Tried with new PSU and my crashes still occur, it's crashes now after about 15 seconds after boot up, but I am able to POST and get into BIOS and change some things but I have to be fast about it. I've done multiple CMOS resets by jumper and battery, it helps a little but still crashes. Yesterday I was playing games all day but I woke up to it shut down and now it just shuts down quite quickly even after a reset. RAM checked out okay and so did CPU and everything else, I haven't tried breadboarding and I don't have a mobo speaker but I do get red LEDs on the mobo before shutting down which don't really help.

I already ordered a new mobo but I'd like to understand the problem of the crashes, if it boots up and gets passed POST and I can get into BIOS, what could be the problem? There hasn't been any new hardware changes and the crashes seemed to come from nowhere, I was running my AMD 8350 overclocked at 4.5Ghz with temps no greater than about 50c and never experienced instability at these speeds with my voltage at v1.5. What happened?

:facepalm:

Specs:
Motherboard: Sabertooth 990fx
CPU: AMD 8350
RAM: 8GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance
GPU: MSI GTX 770
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast 650w
SSD/HDD: Samsung SSD, Seagate SSHD, WD Black HDD
Case: Antec 900

What about cooling? Can you get to the temp monitor in bios and see how hot it's getting. 1.5v seems a bit excessive for a 4.5 OC

Well those were my old settings, everything is set to default voltages and clocks after so many CMOS resets, so its at 4Ghz at 1.3v and temps in bios read 40C before shutting down.

For CPU cooling I have a Corsair H55 with 2 SP120 High Performance Corsair fans in Push/Pull.

Sounds like I temperature issue to me, you sure the pump on the Corsair is running? Do you have the stock heatsink you can use to test it at default settings with?

It's been running for a whole year with nice temps, CoreTemp reads 17C idle on average, the pump and fans work. Also 40C is not even threatening to begin with, read this well informing post: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showpost.php?p=530196&postcount=5

I just don't think it's from overheating guys, I know this is a hard situation to figure out hence why I bought a new mobo, but think deeper and see if you can come up with a more probable cause. I've ran out of ideas.

Last edited:
I realize it "did" run fine but you're having trouble no. The pump in the cooler may have failed or there could be a blockage in the hose. We're just trying to problem solve this and the cooler seems to be the first place to look from the symptoms.

I know this is a hard situation to figure out hence why I bought a new mobo, but think deeper and see if you can come up with a more probable cause

So it's a new board and a new PSU ?

Dem I know trouble shooting is a PIA but don't think. Try pulling the cooler off and putting the stock heatsink on and see if there are still issues. It's not a tough task to do and it may be very telling. It wouldn't be the first AIO water heatsink to fail. Sometimes it's the simple solutions that we may miss. Also just an FYI idle temps on the Fx processors mean nothing, the temperature sensors aren't accurate at idle. It would be impossible for a chip to be below ambient temperatures with ambient cooling.

No it's still the Sabertooth board and my old PSU, new board is a Gigabyte one it comes Monday, I bought and returned a new PSU. Well I'll try with a heatsink, though I believe it's just wasting my arctic silver :(

Funny thing. I have a sabertooth 990fx, and an 8120 (first gen bulldozer). I also have a water cooling loop.

About half a year ago, I experienced the exact same symptoms you did. I thought the CPU was dying because I had it overclocked kind of high.

Turns out? It was my water pump. It died, and the system was shutting down as quickly as it could to avoid burning up.

It could be something else, but it might not be.

Hmm well with the heatsink it still shuts down, what else could it be?

Hmm well with the heatsink it still shuts down, what else could it be?
So you switched to the stock heatsink and the Pc still shuts down?

Just going to go over a few things so I can wrap my head around it.

What exactly happens when the rig shuts down, blue screen, hard lock or it just shuts off?

You swapped in a new Psu, is the 650 W corsair the new one?

You say you checked the Memory, was it using memtest and how many passes if so?

Do you have another Gpu you can swap in?

I had an issue a while back when my Gpu was starting to go where the rig would just stop functioning, though it was also artifacting and you said you were playing games on it, with no mention of artifacts.

I have to say, this situation is not like any other I've experienced and I've been around.. this is simply ridiculous. Anyway, yes it shuts down with stock heatsink, when I boot up it goes normally goes through POST and loads Windows but eventually shuts down by 30 seconds. No error just hard crash, completely off. The 650w Corsair is the old one and functions well, the new one was a 750w Corsair which I returned since it wasn't the problem. I wasn't able to go through memtest before the crashes but I switched out both sticks in different slots and it reads fine in BIOS. I have a diff GPU but I already tried my current GPU without it inserted and still shuts down.

It is odd, if you just leave it in the BIOS does it still shut down?

Do you have AI Suite installed? If you do can you try to uninstall it? It has been know to cause issues. I've never heard of anything like hard crashes but funnier things have happened.

Yea it crashes no matter what, I don't have AI Suite installed. What are signs of a failing 12v CPU connector on the motherboard? I think we should focus on the symptoms, I was getting shut downs in the middle of the night while it was sitting idle and one time while I was active then eventually to the point where it doesn't last >30 seconds. We know that PSU, most likely RAM, CPU, GPU, and HDDs are all good, and no overheating, what is left?

Back