• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CAD Software & Presenter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
Okay, so my dad has his own company with our neighbor. All's fine and dandy, but now my dad would like to show 3d models of possible renovations to clients much like Bryan does on the show "Leave it to Bryan" on HGTV.

I did some quick research, and came up with BIMx.
Are there free alternatives to that?

He has a Nexus 5 and I presume that's what he will use to render the models and show the clients. (Although he has a powerful i3 laptop at his disposal too.)
Now, here's where I come in. No one (not even me) knows how to use these programs to make a 3d model of say a kitchen reno.
So are these programs all expensive, and how hard is it to learn how to make good detailed 3d models?

The best 3d design program are completely rediculous expensive. I'm told the Catia software I use everyday is in the upwards range of $100,000/year USD per seat. That of course depends on how many bells and whistles you want. That said there are inexpensive alternatives. There are options from Corelcad, autocad, home design suites and alot more. You just need to decide which bells and whistles are the most important to you (or your dad in this case) and go with that. I suppose with the proper motivation I could create a thread in the services area of the classies for this, though I would need to use my own software for and not my work one.

Okay I didn't know you worked with CAD software!
Was it hard to use for you?

I started out drafting a little over 20 yeas ago with good old paper and pencil. Shortly after, the computer era hit. I've pretty much been designing in C.A.D. nearly my whole career. The programs were much more difficult then and getting what you invisioned was a true task back in those days. Today the software has gotten very user friendly, especially the basic programs that don't utilize physics engines or crash analysis. Look at the Sims game for instance. My boys sometimes spend as much time building their "play house" as I spend at work everyday...and they enjoy it. Weirdos lol. All kidding aside you should look in to some basic home design softwares and see what they offer. I'm willing to bet you could get him set up with a very professional looking 3D pesentation software for a couple hundred dollars. Look for programs that offer material composition like wood, granite and marble. Also there are many that will create an itemized bill of Materials so your clients can see how much each upgrade might cost. Maybe after the weekend I can post up some snips of some of my side projects I've done.

I have to mention here also that I can't post anything that pertains to work as it is all pre-release and confidential. In fact my employer won't even allow me to mention the Company that I work for for proprietary security purposes.

lol no worries Blaylock, but you have me curious now as to what you do&where you work :p
I won't be snoopy, confidential is confidental.

Anywho if you do get the time to post some sample pics, me and my dad would appreciate it!
I'll look around for some basic programs to try out.

...S_P; seems some of it might really be free.

Might take a look at freeware to see if your Dad is 'really' interested in the learning curve for any CAD type programs.
RGone...

3D Home Design – Free Architecture And Modeling Software

Sweet Home 3D is a free interior design application
that helps you draw the plan of your house, arrange furniture on it and visit the results in 3D.

Thank-you Rgone!

I'll get this installed on his laptop ASAP and I'll let him tinker with it.
I'll tinker with it as well. He mentioned something about me making the designs for him :screwy: :p

Here are a couple snips of some non-work related designs I made when things were slow.

Motorcycle rim concept.
rim.JPG

A portion of my house. (I no longer have the original software for this installed so I cant manipulate it completly)
home1.JPG

With a different deck concept.
home2.JPG

The final deck that was chosen. (Associations suck by the way).
home3.JPG

and the Bill of Materials generated by the software.
BOM.JPG

...and my current "I'm bored but need to occupy myself".
bench1.JPG bench2.JPG

This isn't complete by any means, but you can see the direction.

Okay wow those are perfect!

That's pretty much the jist of what he wants - maybe a tab more polished for the customer, but I can figure that out.
Thanks Blaylock! :thup:

Back