• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's the best (temp wise) CPU block for these CPU's...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blaylock

"That Backfired" Senior Member
I'm looking to expand on my cooling. I'll be going H20 in a little while and the first order I would like to address is the CPU block. I've read numerous threads and many, many reviews. I have a few that have caught my eye, but I would like some objective opinions from those with experience. Here are the requirements...

• Must be compatable with AMD AM2-AM3+ and Intel 2nd Gen up. (interchangable mounting plates is acceptable)
  • I will be using a High volume pump (or 2) with large tubing (1/2"-3/4") (if that matters)
  • I may be adding GPU block(s) in the future
  • This will be for benching and for 24/7 use
  • I will be going sub ambient, even below zero with glycol
  • Price isn't a major concern, but I won't be taking out a second mortgage on my house if you dig
  • I need to build a system that will allow me to beat Mandrake in something!(Anything really LOL)

I'm all ears and I'll consider every opinion.

Tanks!

I have the Supremacy Techjesse linked Blaylock and it fits every chip/board I own so far. I like it because I can swap it to any of the boards I own. I've had it on all of the following boards:
Asus A8N32-Sli Deluxe 939 board
Gigabyte Ga Ma 790Fx AM2 board
Asus M5A99X Evo AM3+
Asus Sabbertooth AM3+
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 1155 socket
Asus Maximus Hero VI 1150 socket.

Are you looking towards a chiller because that will get you sub ambient temps other than going LN2.

Not really. I may create my own "ghetto chiller" with a cooler and some ice but if I'm going extreme I'd likely go dice. But I'm not ready for that just yet. Lol

Are you looking towards a chiller because that will get you sub ambient temps other than going LN2.
Think he's going to start with what Johan and I do in the winter GTXJB, we both have kitty litter buckets filled with 4-5 gallons of antifreeze and distilled water a 700 gph pond pump, radiator and a cpu block. Both Johan and I hang our rads out the window when the temps start dropping in the winter and can usually get the water temp within 2c of the ambient outside air. Which is really nice when it's really really cold out. I've seen -10c water temps at times when I'm lucky. Johan up in Canada sees a lot more cold though, lucky bastage. :D I have also sandwiched my rad without the fans on it between two 10lb blocks of DICE and brought the temps down to -15c during the warmer months.

An all copper block is best when going sub ambient. Acetal will work also. The new Supremacy EVO is worth a good look. Also make sure you either condensation proof your board or have a strong cool airflow in your case. When I want to run benchmarks all out in summer I position a 2nd 240 rad in front of a 15000 btu AC. In winter I stick the rad out the wndow.

Yeah, you're in the condensation range. I'll pass, no thx. lol If I really did want sub temps I'd spend a grand+ on a koolance chiller and call it a day but there's no point for me.

Pretty cool regardless as its a DIY project. "Ghetto rigging" if you will. lol

What's in the bucket? Ice water? I have read of people placing one of their rads in cold water to keep their temps down while running benches and it seems to work, although I've never done this, it sounds like a good way to inch out a better end results :D

Got an unfinished basement? What's the temp?
Mine is always 15-20F cooler than the first floor, so I put a 16" X 20" copper truck radiator down there and cooled sub-ambient year 'round.
There's other ways to stopping condensation without gooping your board and block...

I don't run that anymore, cause I don't game anymore and don't need that much cooling. That was also for Prescott, the last big die shrink...

What's in the bucket? Ice water? I have read of people placing one of their rads in cold water to keep their temps down while running benches and it seems to work, although I've never done this, it sounds like a good way to inch out a better end results :D

TJ it's just an antifreeze/distilled water mix, in the winter I hang my radiator out the window with push pull fans on it. It's nice in the winter, when it gets cold out because I can get my water temps down to within 2c of the outside air. I have also dabbled with DICE I took the fans off the radiator and put it in an insulated cooler, then chopped up 20 lbs of DICE and surrounded the rad with it. It was good for -15c water temps and lasted for about 4-5 hours. Though, especially in the summer condensation needs to be taken into consideration.

Got an unfinished basement? What's the temp?
No digger it's finished and it is only around 5f cooler then the rest of the house, taking into account I run the central air in the summer when it's hot like it was today, here in NY. If I didn't use the A/C it probably would be 10-15f cooler then the upper floors.

Back