• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop Died

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WeezleXX89

Hey guys I have a question. My motherboard failed on my laptop. I had an SSD installed in it. Can I boot up my SSD on my old Desktop? I get a CMOS checksum error however, I think its because the SSD has the drivers from the laptop installed which is creating a conflict. If I have my HHD in my desktop as the primary drive, I can use the SSD as a seconary like using a USB drive. Is there a way I can use the SSD as the boot device?

You need to connect it as a secondary hard drive on your desktop so you can get the personal data from it and then wipe it clean and use it wherever you want.

If you want to use it as a primary OS hard drive somewhere else, you should reinstall Windows on it.

If you decide to use it as a boot disk, you will need to disconnect the hard drive(s), so you can do your install.

Back