• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED 20 Gallons of Horse Laxative 4.5Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You sir, are a classic member... Horse laxative, aquarium current maker.... good stuff there.

. . . when you say "I literally just plopped my pc in a large tupperware container full of horse laxative", does that include any mechanical hard drives? I surely hope not, as mechanical hard drives are exposed to the air via a filter, and would soon fail once the mineral oil gets in.

The new helium drives from HGST should be quite submersible.

Works on people just as good but tastes terrible! Use a smaller dose than you would for horses or computers.

I'm amused that you know this, trents. Wanna talk about it? :D

OP, It might be hard to mount a fan to that heatsink. I've heard very good things about the prolimatech megahalems coolers, and they don't come with a fan. You can strap one of those deltas diggr was talking about onto it, and it should take care of the circulation.

EDIT: Huh, I'm having trouble finding any in stock. Well, you might try a Noctua D14, or a Thermalright True Spirit. Those should both be amenable to having a delta mounted to them.

I thought the case itself would make for a decent heat pipe to move the heat from the oil into the air. I was partly right. The oil is considerably cooler near the base the container and much warmer near the processor and power supply.

This is why I recommended a circulator pump. Weather it be an $80 swiftech, which I'd highly recommend, or something for $25 - $30 from your local pet store, you can specifically push the cooler oil into hotter areas, or vice versa. Just a pump, and about a foot and a half of tubing. I think that would yield better results as far as achieving more consistent temperatures.

Either way, looking forward to seeing more of this project! BTW, for testing's sake I'd turn thermal throttling off and just keep an eye on temps. Some BIOSs have an option for a shutdown temp, where you could set whatever you see fit. (I'd do 70C or so)

I don't see the pump in the pictures, but you could put a hose on the inlet of the pump and place the end close to the cpu. That would draw the heat from that area and circulate cooler laxative to that spot.

Great thread! I love the initial reactions.

edit: I see that the pump is just a circulation pump, so that would not likely work.

I read the title...... awful thoughts.

Saw the pics........ Now I want to try this :p
Cool mod :thup:

Creative, and I'm hoping this will work out for you.
You know, IIRC Intel does this with some servers, and I know some big bitcoin miners did this too.
They had a pump that pumped the oil to big condensers basically, then pumped the now cooled oil back into the tank.

I'm amused that you know this, trents. Wanna talk about it? :D

Well, every parent of young children should know this. When the kids get constipated because they won't eat their veggies, give them some mineral oil laxative. After that, they will eat their veggies.

Good News!

Ok, So I finally got my Nvidia 970 graphics card, and I have a NH-D15 aftermarket heat sink with duel fans installed and everythings ready to go.

I'm buying a couple more gallons of horse laxative because the second tower of the heat sink is almost completely exposed to the air. I will give overclocking results shortly...

Good News!

Ok, So I finally got my Nvidia 970 graphics card, and I have a NH-D15 aftermarket heat sink with duel fans installed and everythings ready to go.

I'm buying a couple more gallons of horse laxative because the second tower of the heat sink is almost completely exposed to the air. I will give overclocking results shortly...

Dis I gotta see. :thup:
This gonna be good

That stuff expensive?

This is a picture I took of the NH-D15 heatsink and fan setup inside the horse laxative. I added 2 additional gallons of horse laxative, so that now the top tower of the heat sink is fully submerged and the top fan is just a hair above the fluid.

20141108_232752.jpg

These are pictures of the NH-D15 before I reimmersed the rig back into horse laxative.
20141108_230831.jpg

20141108_230810.jpg

The heatsink is friggen enormous, but it works great. The fan that's 100% immersed in the fluid runs just fine. My CPU is basically running at room temperature when not overclocked and idling.

Dis I gotta see. :thup:
This gonna be good

That stuff expensive?

It cost a little less than $20 a gallon from tractor supply warehouse.

Put a little filter "sock" on the pump inlet, and let that do the cleaning for you. Just make sure it can't get sucked into the pump.

BTW, it's also a people laxative...:D

There is no inlet, it's a circulation pump.

OP- you need to set up a LARGE radiator outside the mineral oil and cool it that way. This will cost $$$. You're better off taking your parts out of this goo and running your PC normally. You're doing this very wrong.

There is no inlet, it's a circulation pump.

OP- you need to set up a LARGE radiator outside the mineral oil and cool it that way. This will cost $$$. You're better off taking your parts out of this goo and running your PC normally. You're doing this very wrong.

YOU DO NOT NEED A LARGE RADIATOR! If your mineral oil pc build is built using a 5 gallon aquarium, then yes, you may want a radiator and a complicated pump system to circulate the oil.

The trick is if you have 20 gallons of mineral oil the oil will NEVER heat up enough to warrant installing a radiator. I mean I've been running this thing for well over a month now overclocked with no heat problems whatsoever. The heat dissipates into the room faster than the cpu and graphic card is adding heat to the oil.

Big lesson here is that it's probably cheaper and certainly easier to simply use a larger aquarium, for your mineral oil build rather than creating some sort of pump and radiator system.

It seems these guys are doing it wrong. http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php All you need is a larger tank, and get rid of all those pumps, fans, and radiators in the back and your good to go.

If I were to do this project all over again I'd probably use a large glass 20 gallon+ fishtank instead of the plastic storage containers I'm using now. Plastic storage containers are not designed to hold horse laxative. While it would probably be fine holding 20 gallons of water, mineral oil is a bit heavier than water and it makes the sides of the container bulge out a little. Of course I thought ahead and put the plastic container my pc is immersed in inside another larger container incase the first container does fail and burst open.

Another big point I want to make here is that YES, it is possible to upgrade your pc after submerging it. I upgraded my heatsink to a NH-D15 and my graphics card with no problems whatsoever. Yes, it was messy but really not "that" messy.

The fans that came with the NH-D15 heatsink powers through the oil very easily. However I've noticed that with the fans running I only shave a couple of degrees C off the max temperature. The large heat sink and the mineral oil are doing most the cooling work.

All in all, yes it's cheaper and easier to just water cool your PC. But water cooled pcs are like *******s on these forum.... Everyone has one. I just wanted to do something a bit different.

YOU DO NOT NEED A LARGE RADIATOR! If your mineral oil pc build is built using a 5 gallon aquarium, then yes, you may want a radiator and a complicated pump system to circulate the oil.

The trick is if you have 20 gallons of mineral oil the oil will NEVER heat up enough to warrant installing a radiator. I mean I've been running this thing for well over a month now overclocked with no heat problems whatsoever. The heat dissipates into the room faster than the cpu and graphic card is adding heat to the oil.

Well that depends on how long you run your rig, really.

My rig would heat that oil up in ~2 hours I bet. 2 GPU's @ full load + CPU @ 80% load 24/7....

Or at least, a pump to circulate the oil a bit eh? :)

Well that depends on how long you run your rig, really.

My rig would heat that oil up in ~2 hours I bet. 2 GPU's @ full load + CPU @ 80% load 24/7....

Or at least, a pump to circulate the oil a bit eh? :)

With 20 gallons of mineral oil it doesn't matter how long you run your rig. You can run prime 95 all day long and the oil won't get much hotter than room temperature. Your rig doesn't sound that much different than mine, except for the fact that you have two graphics cards instead of one.

You will not over heat the oil in your mineral oil pc if you immerse your computer in 20 gallons or more of mineral oil even if you run your pc 24/7, and I encourage anyone out there to prove me wrong.

With 20 gallons of mineral oil it doesn't matter how long you run your rig. You can run prime 95 all day long and the oil won't get much hotter than room temperature. Your rig doesn't sound that much different than mine, except for the fact that you have two graphics cards instead of one.

You will not over heat the oil in your mineral oil pc if you immerse your computer in 20 gallons or more of mineral oil even if you run your pc 24/7, and I encourage anyone out there to prove me wrong.

I can tell you from having aquariums for 20 years, that yes, your PC will heat up the oil substantially. Every "properly done" mineral oil PC I've seen was using a very large radiator to cool the oil, and several circulation pumps.

Also IIRC there is a fluorene based totally non conductive liquid you can use for this and get better results but it costs more than a Nicaraguan's annual salary and you're toast if you ingest it.

^Sure it will.

A 3770k OC'ed to 4.5GHz is around 100W while a 280x@1200MHz is 300W.

A 290X overclocked alone (400/450W) running@full load would heat up your oil quite fast.

In this thread http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/752277-Time-to-increase-Voltage , you say you hit 80°[email protected]/1.25v.

You'll need something like 1.35v to hit 4.8GHz, and you could cool your CPU at this frequency/voltage with the NH-D14 alone, without oil or something.

De-liding the chip would take the temp down 10 to 20°C which would allow maybe 4.9GHz/1.4v. Above that, you enter the vcore dangerous zone, and whatever ambient cooling you use, you won't be able to go higher without degrading the chip.

Long story short, 4.8/4.9GHz max is the limit of your chip for a 24/7 use, with either horse laxative, watercooling or air cooling.

To me, it sounds like a big waste of time and money...

Back