• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED 20 Gallons of Horse Laxative 4.5Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MortalMan

Overclocked a Computer Submerged, In Horse Laxativ
So, one day I just said **** it, and bought 20 gallons of horse laxative to immerse my computer in.

I didn't take off any fans. I didn't put the motherboard in a special case. I literally just plopped my pc in a large tupperware container full of horse laxative. So far my pc runs great.

I'm just a little disappointed in my overclocking results.

With a cpu core voltage of 1.225, a reference clock of 107, and multipliers set to 42 I get my processor to roughly 4.5Ghz.

The problem is when I do a stress test the cpu gets fairly hot. Thermal throttling kicks in and saves me from having to buy a new CPU, but even with thermal throttling I'm hitting temperatures of 105C.

I'm using a Z77extreme6 motherboard with an intel i73770k cpu. I'm using stock heatsink and fan that came with the cpu.

I noticed when I poured the horse laxative that my cpu fan completely stopped spinning, but my graphics card fans are still going strong spinning inside the fluid. I believe that a hotspot is developing around the heatsink because the stock cpu fan doesn't seem to work when immersed.

Can anyone suggest a decent heatsink and fan that will spin when completely immersed in horse laxative or other similar fluids?

I tried throwing a box fan on top of the tupperware container that my pc is in, but that does little to cool the cpu. It just cools the oil in the container.

I'm thinking of buying an expensive aquarium chiller to keep the horse laxative cool, but as of right now it seems that it's not getting hot enough to warrant an aquarium chiller. I put my hand on the tupperware container containing the horse laxative and it's barely warmer than the room it's in.

I know other people have ran into problems with their immersion pc cooling systems with the oil heating up and not dissipating the heat fast enough. Some people tried to rectify this problem by running the fluid through an expensive complicated radiator system with loud fans. I seemed to have solved this problem by just adding more horse laxative.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can squeeze some more speed out of this rig?

The_Real_SirT yes, this is my pc... Nov9 sorry, don't feel like posting to imgur

Last edited:
I can't help you with trying to get more speed out of your CPU in your cooling medium of choice.

However, when you say "I literally just plopped my pc in a large tupperware container full of horse laxative", does that include any mechanical hard drives? I surely hope not, as mechanical hard drives are exposed to the air via a filter, and would soon fail once the mineral oil gets in.

Is this some kind of joke? Who in their right mind would do this? Give me one reason I shouldn't obliterate this thread....

Seriously...

Who in their right mind indeed....

2zgukxh.jpg

If you want I can supply more pictures or even videos. This isn't a joke. I just want a fast quiet PC that can run Darkfall Unholy Wars with decent FPS.

and..... ofcourse I'm using a solidstate drive.
What is this? 2008?

Mortalman normally when people do this mod its not for cooling because it kinda sucks for that they do it to have something that looks cool or new putting it in a fish tank and dressing it up with lights and other stuff! you need a fan with higher amps and higher rpms than the one you have for the cpu but fans were not made to run in liquid the longer you run them in the liquid the sooner they will fail because it is putting a very large strain on a tiny motor i would suggest water cooling the cpu and gpu! other wise your going to be buying alot of new parts pretty soon

Is this some kind of joke? Who in their right mind would do this? Give me one reason I shouldn't obliterate this thread....

Seriously...

Is your post a joke? :p I've seen countless oil-cooled systems over the past 10 years or so. Several on this very forum. Done about three myself lol

Mineral oil is used as a horse laxative, I'm assuming the OP knows this, and is using mineral oil. So, I'd refer to it as mineral oil instead of the latter. (I don't say I water cool my pc with toilet water ;) lol)

But now sir, you have a collection of parts that will be sticky for life. Anywho, cooling the oil will reduce CPU temps. You can get an automotive heater core or radiator for $10 - $50. Any size you want, used or brand new. May need some fittings. Then get an aquarium pump. I'd experiment by putting the pump's inlet right over the CPU heatsink, to draw fresh oil over it constantly.

Is your post a joke? :p I've seen countless oil-cooled systems over the past 10 years or so. Several on this very forum. Done about three myself lol

Mineral oil is used as a horse laxative, I'm assuming the OP knows this, and is using mineral oil. So, I'd refer to it as mineral oil instead of the latter. (I don't say I water cool my pc with toilet water ;) lol)

But now sir, you have a collection of parts that will be sticky for life. Anywho, cooling the oil will reduce CPU temps. You can get an automotive heater core or radiator for $10 - $50. Any size you want, used or brand new. May need some fittings. Then get an aquarium pump. I'd experiment by putting the pump's inlet right over the CPU heatsink, to draw fresh oil over it constantly.

I've seen water cooling systems set up using car radiators to disperse the heat, the the results were not that much better than a traditional water cooler.

This isn't some 5 gallon fishtank. There's 20+ gallons of oil in this thing. I'm not worried about the oil getting to hot just yet.

Right now I'm just looking to get the hot oil away from my cpu faster, and it's not helping that my cpu fan won't spin.

I'm thinking this may be a possible solution...
That should push around the horse laxative enough to keep it from heating to much around the cpu.

I'd rather get a heatsink and fan designed specifically for immersion cooling if there is such a thing.

The "sticky" factor really isn't that big of a deal. I can clean it out and put in a new graphics card in under an hour.

A heat sink designed for immersion cooling? Get a water block :) Then run a pump through it. I doubt a larger heat sink would have better effects. Money would be better spent on a pump and radaitor.

And if you increase the rate at which heat is transferred from the CPU's HSF to the rest of the oil, eventually the whole system will be around 100F or more under a load. That's what I had with a modest P4 in 10 gallons. The cooler your CPU and whole system is, the easier it should be to OC successfully.

I did check out that circulator video. Might be worth trying if it's cheap. I'd go with a pump outside of the oil (less heat dump) and run the supply and return lines into your tank. Heat rises, so I'd draw off the very bottom of the tank, and blast the return right on your heatsink. This will no doubt, create excellent circulation.

A heat sink designed for immersion cooling? Get a water block :) Then run a pump through it. I doubt a larger heat sink would have better effects. Money would be better spent on a pump and radaitor.

And if you increase the rate at which heat is transferred from the CPU's HSF to the rest of the oil, eventually the whole system will be around 100F or more under a load. That's what I had with a modest P4 in 10 gallons. The cooler your CPU and whole system is, the easier it should be to OC successfully.

I did check out that circulator video. Might be worth trying if it's cheap. I'd go with a pump outside of the oil (less heat dump) and run the supply and return lines into your tank. Heat rises, so I'd draw off the very bottom of the tank, and blast the return right on your heatsink. This will no doubt, create excellent circulation.

This isn't going to be a water cool build. This is a pc immersed in horse laxative build.
My last PC was water cooled, been there done that, and now I'm on to something new.

The problem with an aquarium chiller, is that it would negate part of the reason for putting the pc in oil in the first place. Aquarium chillers can be just as loud as a pc fan, so I'm going to try to avoid that if I can.

Again, I'm really not worried about the oil itself getting to hot. I'm running a 4.5 GHz cpu now for a while and the oil is barely above room temperature. The heat escapes from the oil just as fast as the processor can put more heat in.

Does anyone know of a decent cpu fan that is meant to be run while immersed in oil?

This isn't going to be a water cool build. This is a pc immersed in horse laxative build.
My last PC was water cooled, been there done that, and now I'm on to something new.

The problem with an aquarium chiller, is that it would negate part of the reason for putting the pc in oil in the first place. Aquarium chillers can be just as loud as a pc fan, so I'm going to try to avoid that if I can.

Again, I'm really not worried about the oil itself getting to hot. I'm running a 4.5 GHz cpu now for a while and the oil is barely above room temperature. The heat escapes from the oil just as fast as the processor can put more heat in.

Does anyone know of a decent cpu fan that is meant to be run while immersed in oil?

1. stock HSF will not work for OC'ing
2. if your going to use the oil remove the fans
3. water cooling is not as loud as you think, I have a AIO water cooler (Nepton 280L)
4. your going to endup replacing everything
5. 105c? it's a wonder your house has not burned down to the ground

What size is the intel fan?
You're problem there is that you're taking an already slow/weak fan with big deep scooping blades and expecting it to push oil...the results are...well you know.
You need a thin bladed fan with some power like the little Delta 15mm PWM fan. It shouldn't have a problem turning in oil.

Sometimes... I don't even.

Is that just an empty gallon of mineral oil floating next to the computer? :rofl:

How much alcohol was consumed before trying this?

I find it funny that no one realized this is just mineral oil.

I see the picture now... I guess you knew horse laxative was mineral oil? Impressed!

Anyway if you move the oil enough in the tank with a pump... You don't need a fan in there.

:eh?: I explained the most efficient way of removing heat from your CPU. Pump the oil through a water block. It's not water cooling, because there is no water ;) Call it a "laxative" block, if you must. If you're avoiding any ties with the WC world, I suppose the next best thing would be heatpipe based heatsink, with a large surface area. But again, a pump would be more effective than fans. Period. But, if you can some how prove that wrong I'd love to see it. And 2nd, if you keep the oil cooler, the CPU will be effected in the same way, by also becoming cooler. And yes, eventually you'll reach an equilibrium, where the oil temp won't get hotter. But, an air cooled PC in a room that's 60F and the same PC in a room that's 100F... you can bet that the 60F one will have a CPU that isn't as hot. Many of these concepts have been proven by others, so some of these concepts aren't so much questions as they are facts.

What size is the intel fan?
You're problem there is that you're taking an already slow/weak fan with big deep scooping blades and expecting it to push oil...the results are...well you know.
You need a thin bladed fan with some power like the little Delta 15mm PWM fan. It shouldn't have a problem turning in oil.

It's litterally just the heatsink and fan that came with the cpu.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YN4_ObvJDGc#t=40

It's the same one in that video at around 42 seconds.

Is 4.5Ghz decent considering I'm using this tiny fan and cpu?

Sometimes... I don't even.

Is that just an empty gallon of mineral oil floating next to the computer? :rofl:

How much alcohol was consumed before trying this?

Yes, that is an empty bottle of horse laxative floating around inside. The alcohol induced plan was to sink a couple empty bottles to displace the fluid so I wouldn't have to buy more. As you can see, I needed a lot more weight to sink that bottle. An empty 1 gallon bottle is surprisingly buoyant. I just proceeded to go to the next tractor supply warehouse and buy out all there horse laxative as well.

A tremendous amount of beer went into the planning and contruction of this project.

As for next steps I think I'm going to buy a cheap aquarium circulation pump, and just plop that damn thing into the horse laxative and plug it in.

After that I may buy a big *** heatsink like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835220055 and see if that helps.

I haven't even attempted to overclock my memory or graphics card yet. Maybe when I do the overall temperature of the oil will raise enough to worry about. I doubt it though. Will overclocking my memory help in any significant way? I hear it's not even worth it.

It seems not to many people on here has much experience with immersion cooling. That's really to bad... I plan on giving as much information as possible to help the next person with their horse laxative build.

Last edited:
MortalMan, you are no mere mortal man, you are my hero for the month.

Don't let this project die, it is too good.

Just an update on this project. I bought an additional gallon of horse laxative, and put an aquarium current maker inside the fluid pointed at the processor.

The aquarium current maker works great. It brings the temperature of the processor down significantly.

Currently I'm using a stock heatsink and fan over the cpu as mentioned in a previous post. The stock cpu fan will not spin in horse laxative. This was creating a hot pocket around the cpu making thermal throttling kick in during benchmarking. The aquarium fan greatly mitigates this.

I also got an aquarium thermometer. The oil near the power supply was over 90 degrees fahrenheit with the aquarium fan running. I thought the case itself would make for a decent heat pipe to move the heat from the oil into the air. I was partly right. The oil is considerably cooler near the base the container and much warmer near the processor and power supply. In the future I plan on adding a much larger heatsink over the processor, and I'll move the power supply completely out of the case and let it settle at the base of the sterillite container.

I thought I was very very meticulous in cleaning my computer before immersing it in horse laxative. I used canned air to blow the dust out of every nook and cranny I could find, and had a vacuum running to suck up the dust that was being blown around. Apparently I still didn't get everything. When the power supply got immersed I believe the dust inside settled to the bottom of the sterillite container making that grayish blob at the base. It looks ugly but, this project isn't about looks. It's about testing what horse laxative pc cooling can really do.

20140909_005516.jpg

20140909_004651.jpg

Put a little filter "sock" on the pump inlet, and let that do the cleaning for you. Just make sure it can't get sucked into the pump.

BTW, it's also a people laxative...:D

Back