• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did you change from an iphone to a Galaxy S5? Post here.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BugFreak

With the expected release of the new iphone and my iphone 4S showing it's age, I'm in the market for a new phone. I've been a pretty loyal iphone user for some time now but with all the advancements with the Galaxy, I have been leaning towards that phone for my next upgrade. Because of that, I am curious on what people that have made the switch think about the switch. Was it worth it? Any regrets, dislikes, or things that just became a pain with the Galaxy? Or the opposite? My primary concern is my multimedia. I have a mix of itunes purchased music and movies and some that I have added from CDs that will need to carry over. I see there are a bunch of apps and programs out there to transfer but each has mixed reviews. What did you do?

Please keep the thread to people that have switched from the iphone to a Galaxy, not fan posts of either phone. Thanks!

I didn't switch, but I really did try to. I got a 5s in January, switching over from a Galaxy Nexus. I really liked the Android and didn't particularly care for my wife's 4s, but when upgrade time came along, what ended up swaying me was the resale value of each phone. Apple products in general just hold their value a little longer it seems. This may not be a factor for everyone, but it is for me. Both could do what I needed them to do and the iphone would still be worth something when I was finished with it, so I made the switch...

(One factor I didn't mention was that the Galaxy 5S wasn't out yet. My best options for Android were either the original HTC One or the the Galaxy 4S, both of which were getting a bit long in the tooth.)

Quite quickly, I was disappointed I had. I won't go into all the details as to why I was disappointed. That isn't the point of this post...

To my actual point... So, around March(?), the new HTC One and Galaxy 5S having been released, I changed gears and decided I would just sell the iphone 5s (which was still going for $500+ at that point -- there's that resale value...) and get one of the new Android phones retail or on ebay.

First (and fortunately I now see), I went into Verizon to test the HTC and Samsung phones out to see which I would prefer. They were gigantic!!! I'm not sure if it was just that I had been out of the Android game for a couple months and had gotten used to the small size of the iphone or whether they really are just too big, but I just couldn't do it. They felt awkward in my hand, awkward in my pocket. I don't understand why they didn't keep the size of the Galaxy 4S and original HTC One.

Either way, I scrapped that plan and stuck with the iphone. I'll revisit the Android/Apple decision when the next generation of devices are out, I suppose.

Hope this bit of info helps.

We should see the Samsung Galaxy Alpha out sometime soon. I was a convert from the Samsung Galaxy S4 to the iPhone 5S. Android as a whole tends to be snappier, alongside better multitasking and ease of file addition (drag and drop). The iPhone as a whole seems more simplistic, which is exactly what I was after and hits the nail on the head for me. That being said, I am thoroughly impressed with iOS 7 as a whole, and being on AT&T Next, if the Galaxy Alpha is a letdown, or LG's upcoming is a letdown, I will be grabbing the iPhone 6 this coming March for my yearly upgrade to replace the 5S.

With all this being said and still being an android fan, I have no regret switching TO an iPhone (iOS 7 though, I refused to do iOS 6 or below), for me I will be grabbing whatever phone offers me the most for my personal wants/taste when March comes around. If the iPhone 6 comes short compared to the Galaxy Alpha or similar phones, I will be making the switch back to Android, but assuming nothing amazing with the new Galaxy that the iPhone simply cannot offer, I will be sticking happily with the iPhone.

I said all that, but I still hate Apple, and still hate the awful iTunes, but at least they let you manually manage your libraries, which is good, despite how much I have a hate for iTunes.

Hope this bit of info helps.
Both posts do, thanks. The size of the S5 is also one of my concerns since I really don't use it as a tablet. I have a tablet for that, ;) But after last weeks iphone 6 release I am leaning even more towards the S5. I like the 4.7" iphone size but the 720 resolution is a big letdown and the bigger 6 just looks too big for my tastes. At this point I think it will be a decision made when I 'm sitting in the store holding both. Good thing the new iphones are so back ordered I have a couple weeks to let me mull it over some more.

have you checked the Asus new padfone (phone only)?
it's like 30 to 40% less expensive than a s5 with the same features and performance.

I got one a couple of months ago: it's a great phone.

I went from a iphone 4S to a nexus 4 and I regretted it for a year and a half (no contract with nexus 4 obviously...and my iphone 6 is in the mail and will be here Friday). I originally wanted to go away from iphone simply because much had't changed and the screen size was too small....it was a compramise but I would've rather stuck with iphone.

The reason I didn't like the nexus 4 is because it was so bare bones and required customization for it to work. I thought I wanted that ability to control most of my phone...but turns out I don't! With the galaxy though they take care of a lot of stuff (good homescreen, camera control etc) and if you want to change it you can.

I personally am gonna stick with apple for a while for phones unless something truly amazing comes along though. I don't care for the customization, I just want it to be simple and work. I thought there would be more of a google centric use with my nexus 4...using gdrive, gmail, android...but it was nothing special and nothing I couldn't have done with a iPhone.

Back