• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rookie Rumble Help Thread. -Post here to get help improving your scores!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Post up links or screenshots of your top scores. I will see if I can see anything.

Can you disable one core fore superpi, then push your over clock a bit further. Also, have you tinkered with the ram speed it seems they are just at the SPD.

On what hardware SP?

i5 in sig.

CPU was OC'd to ~3.4 Ghz, and memory was ~1150Mhz @ 12-12-12-36
Does Super pi like fast memory or tight timings?

I'm running all stock right now (forgot to OC again lol) and Super pi 1M is 12.420 Seconds :-/

I'm up to 4797mgz but volts are high so I'm scared to run xtu, maybe cinebench instead. Now it freezes on the windows login screen at 4.9ghz :( Even with only a single core enabled I cant seem to get any higher.

PS I realized how much I hate xp and will sacrifice scores not to use it, I couldn't run most benching favorites anyway, or didn't try hard enough. I installed it and booted once only to format the drive and accept my losses. I will stick to Windows 7 for now.

4.8xtu.PNG

Attachments

• xtu-4.8ghz.PNG
    xtu-4.8ghz.PNG
    120.9 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
I feel like it's super high but it wont boot it I lower the volts. My a/c wall unit is almost attached to the cpu cooler and it's my only saving. I just ran cinebenchR11.5 and no crash 4.03 points :) Now I will try xtu and cross fingers.

devlos when installing XP easiest way would be on different drive if you have a spear and when installing winXP in bios turn on ide mode for the HDD (no reason to go to the trouble in getting a sata driver install just for sp1M)and if installing from a dvd make sure the dvd drive is plugged in to a Intel sata port

List the set's of ram you have so we can try to pick out the best set to use

Kingston HYPERX BLU PC3-12800 4GB(2X2GB) 1600MHz KHX1600C9D3K2/4GX and Crucial Ballistix PC3-14900 16GB(2x8BG) 1866MHz BLE2KIT8G3D1869DE1TX0

At the moment I'm using the Kingston.

I installed xp off a usb onto a spare drive and just unplugged my Windows 7 drive in the mean time. I didn't run into any issues installing, I just can't stand it once it's there.

I didn't get much done last night. pretty much what I posted last night was the best I ended up doing. Actually resetting UEFI and starting from scratch but only getting back up to 4.7ghz again but with 1.360v which is a lot better and cooler. Will try again of coarse tonight. Since I reinstalled windows 7 last time, not yesterday, I havn't been able to load any of my saved xtu profiles which sucks I used to be able to.

Odd that you don't like XP. One of the best OS's out there.
At the same time, hopefully with a cooler chip, you can push it harder :attn:

delvos I look up the two set of ram you posted ether of them are good overclockers :( Did you try to overclock the ram since you got the Asrock OCF if so and if it didn't work out just going to have to tighten up the memory I'am thinking the Crucial Ballistix for sp1m try to get them to 8-8-8-22 t1 again should only take around 1.6 volts .Does the z87 OCF have the Memory performance level under dram configuration like the z77 OCF did if so after use that to tighten up secondary and third timings the lower the number in memory performance level the tighter the timings if it don't have memory performance level look for something similar or try to tighten up secondary read and writes timings manually

you should be able to boot in XP with the cpu 100mhz higher then you can in win7
set affinity to one core at a time and see which one is faster in sp1m
set Priority to realtime
kill unnecessary services etc.

you can try this software http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/benchtec_toolbox.html to disable services kill explorer.exe and under system tweak in maxmem try 64,104,128 or 256 see which helps better in sp1m(use only in xp last I time use in win7 had to restall OS)

Hello,

I've now been able boot @4.8 and 4.9ghz!! I still crash at 4.9ghz. Disabling 1 core is what did it I think. My scores havn't improved any though BUT, at least they are on par with my best in sp1M, or close at 7.972sec Also I "found" this autoruns.exe from microsoft and have got my boot to minimal.

Ram still working on it. Really but it's not co-oping very well. I do have performance mode though.

Thanks

4.9ghz.PNG

Last edited:
Is that Ivy or Sandy Bridge? (Ivy right?)

Anyway, make sure your VTT voltage is within 0.5volts of your RAM.

Example: On my i5 rig, my RAM is set to 1.7 volts, so my VTT voltage is 1.215v for a difference of 0.485 volts. Under the 0.5 I was talking about.
My system will not boot without the VTT set to that voltage.
Also bump up the IMC voltage a bit. Stock on mine is 0.945v, it's now set at 1.00v

Are you using software to increase clocks after you boot into windows? All you need is stability to run the bench and get the screenshot.

Is that Ivy or Sandy Bridge? (Ivy right?)

Anyway, make sure your VTT voltage is within 0.5volts of your RAM.

Example: On my i5 rig, my RAM is set to 1.7 volts, so my VTT voltage is 1.215v for a difference of 0.485 volts. Under the 0.5 I was talking about.
My system will not boot without the VTT set to that voltage.
Also bump up the IMC voltage a bit. Stock on mine is 0.945v, it's now set at 1.00v

Haswell.

I'll try to adjust the RAM again with the VTT too, IMC I'll look at, I don't know what that is.
Thx

Haswell.

I'll try to adjust the RAM again with the VTT too, IMC I'll look at, I don't know what that is.
Thx
Keep in mind that I am running Sandy Bridge, so I don't know if Haswell will act the same - be careful.
Are you using software to increase clocks after you boot into windows? All you need is stability to run the bench and get the screenshot.

That will help too, but I wasn't able to find a utility like that.
I remember CPUCool could do that and setfsb, clockgen but they aren't updated for today's mobos :(

I use the bios or uefi to do everything but I can use asrocks utility called formula drive also xtu if I wanted. Forumla drive does work pretty good, the updates show right away in cpu-z.

Just spent the last hour trying to boot 5ghz.... almost!

My VTT is low it seems.

Attachments

• vtt.PNG
    vtt.PNG
    33.2 KB · Views: 66
Boot into windows the use the asrock program to bump it up, run superpi, take the screenshot the lower the clocks back down. It is common practice, running superpi is less load than booting and loading windows.

Back