• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Show off your hardware. New toys, old toys, current victims of hardware abuse.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Glad it was not hammered in shipping,

New AB version should give you a few volts with some cold should do nicely, especially on Vantage with that CPU :thup:

I can try it but AFIK these old cards were hard locked and required hardmods to get any more volts.

I think I finally lucked out on a CPU, picked up a 6700K on Friday and managed a few runs with it over the last couple of days.
XTU at 5.1 with 1.42- 1.46v underload, then dialed up the ram and cache a bit for some CibeBench. Weird thing about this platform, needed a patch to get XTU to run on Win7 then after I re-booted I couldn't get it to work anymore? @ Woomack. I had that same PNY ram running 3333 CL16 1.35v without any issue just set it and went. Needs more attention but thought you might like to know that.

xtu.JPG
cb15 1133.JPG
r11 12.45.JPG

That PNY is on similar IC as my Geil Dragon. I'm able to set 3333 15-15-15 1.35V for tests while XMP is 3333 16-16-16 1.35V. I can't set anything above ~3400 on this memory.
I see you have pretty good 6700K :thup: My CPU is nothing special. I can't bench it on water @4.8GHz regardless of voltage.

After cleaning old/useless hardware I had some money to buy a new laptop - ASUS GL552VW. I got it in promo price, with standard HDD and 4GB of standard RAM to lower costs as I already had M.2 SSD and I wanted better RAM anyway. Today I've received Thaiphoon Burner license ( thanks Vitaliy :) ) so I will try to modify memory profiles in DDR4 SODIMM. I got 2x4GB HyperX Impact 2133 13-13-13 so already pretty tight settings for SODIMM but I know it can make much higher clock. I just don't know what settings are available on SODIMM. Supposed to be the same as on desktop RAM as IC is about the same.
Other reason why I want to make it myself is that I can't change settings in BIOS or software and there are barely any other SODIMM DDR4 than 2133 CL15. HyperX Impact is the only memory at tighter settings than standard available in central EU.
I'm also wondering if it's able to OC CPU in some way. There is i5 6300HQ so Skylake based, full 4 core i5 ( as you maybe noticed almost all laptop i5 and even i7 are 2 core+ht ). Cooling is good. Both CPU and GPU ( GTX960M ) are running at max near 75*C.
So maybe why I got ASUS laptop ? There are barely any laptops in reasonable price with skylake i5/i7 and GTX960M. Almost all available are much more expensive models. Gigabyte laptops are not available in any local store. MSI have ... surprise... warranty sticker on memory/storage cover so you can't replace parts without losing warranty ( no comments ). Also the cheapest MSI at similar specs costs $200 more. Dell or Lenovo cost more than ASUS and are not offering anything better.

Thanks. So far it's great. Well, it has to be as with my budget I won't change it for next 4-5 years :p
Btw. I found out that BIOS has write protection enabled and memory has also write protection so even though Thaiphoon Burner is a great soft then probably I won't be able to modify SPD/XMP :(

That's lame when you can't have fun with your toys

There is a guide to make it on older chipsets but I can't find these records in my BIOS. I also think that memory can have locked SPD. I saw info that newer kits have additional chip which is blocking any writes to the memory. OC boards have sometimes option in BIOS to unlock write protection but not my laptop.

Anyway if you wish to check memory IC then you can download free version of Thaiphoon Burner from http://www.softnology.biz/files.html
There is read SPD option and report where you can find more detailed info about used memory IC without removing heatsinks.

Thanks Philip :)
I will check it later.

Edit:
For Skylake there is only one beta version but it's not working. Even though it's not working then somehow one of the TDP profiles disappeared from power options in Windows. I had 16W and 45W profiles so on battery I was setting 16W and modified additional options while now there is only 45W. I have to check if it added something to registry or simply modified Intel driver.

Last edited:
OK nice to catch up with buddy, just try not to push that LAPPY to hard knowing you lol!

Cheers Philip.

In case you guys missed it locked skylake CPU's can now be overclocked with a BIOS update on some Asrock and Asus motherboards.

http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=149904

capture184.jpg

capture185.jpg

I somehow can't find info where are BIOSes for ASUS boards or what ASUS boards support OC of locked chips.

Here's a shot of my new toy.
Had to set it up with the Susanoo, an extreme cooler for an extreme board just seems right to me - Not that the Susanoo can take it to the limit mind you.

DSCF2998.JPG

How about computers in the mist

P1340522.JPG

Didn't turn out the best think I ha to pop the to off this one

Last edited:
Back