• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Show off your hardware. New toys, old toys, current victims of hardware abuse.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm thinking about getting this http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1920420

Or I could get a new z9z mobo/i3/ddr3 or amd or videocard or new dice/ln2 pot or whatever. Really thinking about that combo and this ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226594 I don't know what to get??

I already have this EVGA SuperNOVA 80 PLUS BRONZE 750W 110-B1-0750-VR Modular that should be here tomorrow.

devlos/Brian

You already have one the best boards for the z97 platform.
Another board would be a waste of money IMO

the x99 platform would be fun, but you could also get some 1150 CPU's to put in your OCF

Nice power supply for benching CPU's and such, probably will run out of talent benching top end 3D if going cold

Pots are always a good investment into overclocking, but only if you are serious about using them. If not they sit there and are a waste of money.

So many cool things out there :)

I didn't know Mushkin released DDR4. It would be nice to see some results. Their PR/marketing department is not replying to any of my mails and there is no chance to get any review samples. In Poland Mushkin is nearly impossible to get and even if some stores have it on stock then prices are way too high.
Its imposible here too. They don't respond to our emails either... Though they send marketing crap ...

I was thinking the x99 would be really nice to have around and would free up my 4690k to go cold with. Plus I have another G3258 on the way still for my OCF. Ive been looking at a lot of cpus, amd and intel and tons of ram. I like Mushkin though I have not had any in awhile.

I have a dice pot that works great for me already but it's no where near new. Iv'e been waiting on art eraser to use it more.

Maybe I'll make a 'what should I buy' thread because I just can't decide.

Thanks guys!

I would suggest devlos if you're planning on using DICE then do it on something you're willing to lose the first couple times. My first experience was less than ideal and I lost a motherboard and 2 CPUs. I learned a lot from that experience. Reading guides and asking questions is never the same as real world experience. Since then I haven't lost any hardware due to " mistakes" on my part. Just food for thought.

You seem in pretty good shape devlos. If you don't already have some, maybe invest in a nice set of benching sticks? All else being equal they can definitely help in grabbing a couple extra spots/boints.

Of course...as a h/w ho, I'm not really one to talk :chair:

had a meeting in Villanova this morning , drove right past the Micro Center :(

Every time I go past that store it cost's me money :screwy:

had a meeting in Villanova this morning , drove right past the Micro Center :(

Every time I go past that store it cost's me money :screwy:

I went to the local distributor for some stuff for work and ended up with new case for daily PC. It happens way too often, especially when I sell something.

Lucky for me I don't get down that way too often,

Ended up with a z97-SOC Force on sale for $ 184.99 and a g3258 for $ 59.99

Was going to buy 3 CPU's but the dude told me I was only allowed 1 ......... wtf ???

Have not used a Gigabyte product for years , hope the board is at least half decent , as my UD4 B3 and x58 Extreme were hunks of crap

Figure the 60 dollar CPU will either get there or die trying :)

I made 3 RMA for Z87X-OC and Z97X-SOC , all had dead BIOSes in a weird way while pushing high memory/bclk clocks. On Z97X-SOC had faulty memory slots and somehow after RMA is overclocking much better even when I'm using slots which were fine before.

fingers crossed I get one that works, Looks like F6 is the only one that supports the g3258

Any good BIOS floating around? Nick always has BIOS's available that are not on the AsRock site for enthusiasts.

Gigabyte have anyone doing that sort of thing?

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/28441-gigabyte-latest-beta-bios.html

I think there is more than enough but some betas are working kinda weird so you have to find best BIOS for everything. The only difference between normal and LN2 bios are higher max voltages. I'm not using LN2 bioses as I had worse OC results and most memory kits hate everything above 2.1V anyway ( standard bios is limited to 2.15V ).
LN2 bios had also some problems with G3258, even this new version. Sometimes just acts weird or lose some settings and can't boot.
F6 seems fine for everything and is stable but you can try other versions and maybe you find them better for your needs.

Memory profiles are kinda bad on these boards. Gigabyte is actually using profiles from Z87X-OC boards on Z97X-SOC. I had both boards so can easily compare that in both cases they're the same and in both are also useless. They made them on some special samples or most expensive memory series. At least I had to set everything manually on my memory.
ASRock is probably the only brand which is preparing memory profiles on a regular retail samples.

Thanks Woomack :)

Yea, wanted the z97 OCF , but they did not have one in stock, should have been more patient.

But thought it would be fun to see how it is, if it sub par someone on this site will get a heck of a deal on it ....... :)

Hope I got a good chip, it would be nice to boost some of my 2 core results

Thanks Woomack :)

Yea, wanted the z97 OCF , but they did not have one in stock, should have been more patient.

But thought it would be fun to see how it is, if it sub par someone on this site will get a heck of a deal on it ....... :)

Hope I got a good chip, it would be nice to boost some of my 2 core results

I don't think you will beat many of your results on 2 cores as you already made high i3 results and 4 threads will beat 2 unless you make something like 6.5GHz. At least I can't beat my i3 results in couple of tests and benchmarks like Spi, pifast and some more are all in one category regardless of number of threads.
Looks like only wprime, cinebench and hwbot prime will be better on ~6GHz+ 3258.

Z97X-SOC Force for me is the best Z97 board but I'm just used to some settings and have my own way to solve some problems. I had ASRock Z97M OCF and ASUS M7G but sold both as GB was better in nearly everything.

I will see how it plays out , chip quality will ultimately be the determining factor ,

testing 260 216 cores this morning, two of them are crap and one is DOA :)

using an SS and stock coolers ,

Edit:

Here is some of today's action :)

260 06 2x.png

260 05 2x.png

260 01 2x.png

DSCF2168.JPG

Last edited:
Having fun with some 4870's this morning.

Capture036.jpg

Capture037.jpg

Capture038.jpg

Ok, I decided I needed a secondary everyday driver, to free up my 4690k for ohter things. At the same time adding the video card it should smallwhoopass.jpg compared to everything else I have in gaming. I was impressed with amd after using it for the first time recently so that's what this is, instead of x99 and no budget for the video card. I'm not done but this is what I got so far, ordered. Still might order another video card and sufficient psu, water-cool everything, well cpu and gpu. I'm hoping for a full time rig that i wont take aprt to play with, :)bs:) Hoping to be strong enough not to tweak, I have other things for that. One se of ram is for another pc.

https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

EDIT#1
Today I'm a happy camper, I got some deliveries!
See if you can spot the fake!
The ram numbers are sequential and I think that's cool. And they say oct 2014, can they really be that new??!!

EDIT#2
After a little thought I decided to put the 4690k with the 290x instead of the 8350 I got coming.
I think it's funny the cpu is the weakest link accourding to windows, even with an overclock to 4.4ghz
hahacpu.PNG

IMAG0763.jpg IMAG0774.jpg
IMAG0776.jpg
IMAG0765.jpg

I'm not going to talk about the 5 sempron 145s and some phenom b59 and opteron 1381 I have on the way too and motherboard - :eek:

Last edited:
Love that new hardware smell devlos! Beautiful stuff!

On another note...am very excited...got a good deal on a 4960x. Don't know anything about it other than it'll do 4.5GHz @ 1.28v but it was 1/2 the price of what someone wanted for one that does 5.8-ish @ 1.6. Might be a few weeks before I get time to get it under the cascade but hoping that with 1.6-ish volts, it gets up to decent speed. Thinking/hoping/planning that, in addition to some nice 2D results, this chip will be just the thing to run boatloads of vgas through the newer 3D benches.

Thanks funsoul, YES that smell. Congrats on your new cpu, sounds like it could be a winner. I was "this" close to getting x99 like 20 times before I ordered anything, even 10 minutes before I ordered, still might but don't have a good enough reason/excuse yet.

Fine looks like you're both *****s!
@devlos I see this bug has bit you hard. Ha ha

Good luck with your new toys boys!

Back