• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Show off your hardware. New toys, old toys, current victims of hardware abuse.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
DSC_0147.JPG
( not the best photo and before I put graphics card inside )

I wanted to put everything inside but is not enough space to connect anything so rad has to be outside. I was really fighting with graphics and power cables.
I'm not fully satisfied because of fubes and EK fittings ( simply crappy ). On the photo colors are slightly different. In real red is almost the same on all parts and PSU looks more like blackish/gold. PSU isn't visible when case is closed anyway.

Right now I'm testing:
- [email protected] - passed XTU 1h+ and 2h gaming
- GTX960@stock with limited temp to 70*C so it's really quiet and fast enough for games.
- 2x4GB Ripjaws V 3200 - will be tested later but should make 3600+.
- 850W Gold 90+ OCZ - as I mentioned it was the only free and not too big PSU, also with low load it's totally silent.
- 240GB HyperX Savage - enough for all I'm using ( all other stuff is on NAS ). It's also quite fast SSD. I wanted to use M.2 SSD but this board is supporting only 2240/60 standard while I have 2280 and all faster SSD are actually 2280.

In plans is to change tubes and maybe put water block on graphics card to reduce temps. CPU runs at about 50*C @4.5GHz. I think I can drop it by 10*C and connect graphics card to the same loop keeping good performance.
I try to make all at minimum costs so things like pump/res and radiator are older. Rad was repainted as it was really scratched ( it has 7 years if not more ). PSU has ~5 years but keeps stable voltages. CPU block is older EK series but is transparent so should look nice when I use any dye or additional LEDs.

Last edited:
where on earth does the gpu go in the thing??????

GPU is on top. On that photo there is no gpu but you would barely see it anyway. Above gpu is SSD. I'm thinking to put water block on gpu so it make some space there and lower noise. Right now I set temp limit ( instead of power limit ) on GTX960 so it keeps voltage low but still boosts above 1300MHz in 3D. That makes card to run quiet. Not perfect but much better than on auto settings with not much worse FPS.

I will make photo when I change tubes and maybe put block on gpu.

I see that BIOS which solves issues with power is also causing issues with vdroop. I have to set vcore about 0.05-0.06V higher to keep CPU stable. There is new BIOS available but I'm not sure if it solves that power issue. My version which I got directly from MSI is 1.12 while posted on MSI website is 1.10 ( released 2 weeks earlier than 1.12 but posted 2-3 days ago ).

DSC_0163.JPG

- Added water block to GTX960 - now there is some more space between graphics card, SSD and some cables.
- Added some red dye to water as tubes are looking weird with clean water. I will probably change them one day but there is nothing on stock in online stores and I don't want to wait 1-2 weeks

After some tests I have to clean it a bit as there are finger prints and some other things on PSU, res and tubes. I haven't noticed it till I made that photo.

Just a single 120 for CPU and GPU? Seems a little light in the rad. You mentioned the GTX960 but what CPU is that?

Outstanding cable management BTW!

Just a single 120 for CPU and GPU? Seems a little light in the rad. You mentioned the GTX960 but what CPU is that?

Outstanding cable management BTW!

As I mentioned in earlier post, inside is:

- i5 6600K - right now @4.2GHz 1.25V what under load gives ~1.2V ( BIOS issues and no LLC to adjust it )
- MSI Z170I Gaming Pro AC - the cheapest Z170 ITX board which overclocks good and has no voltage limits, memory boots up at 4000+ in dual channel but I have no good kit to stabilize it ( memory clock about as good as on ROG mobos ), MSI tested it with DDR4-4166+ kits. ASRock ITX died in couple of hours so I decided to check MSI which was also ~30% cheaper
- Gigabyte GTX960 ITX@ stock - can probably go higher, I was benching this card @1700MHz+ on water on totally modified BIOS ( it has 1x6 pin power connector so needed modified pcie rail settings )

Yesterday was already late ( like 1:30 am my time ) but I've checked it in 3DMark and 15 mins load in XTU. Max temps in 3DMark FS Ultra ~45*C on GPU , ~55*C on CPU. Max in XTU ~62*C on CPU. I think I can set CPU a bit higher and GPU probably can make 100-150MHz more at the same voltage but I'm not sure what about vrm and other things as there is only one small heatsink and no good airflow. I will probably set temp/power limit in AB and leave it at stock clocks as it's enough for all games I'm playing.

Since I used most older parts then it cost me ~$100 for wires, fan and the case.

Last edited:
As I mentioned in earlier post, inside is:

- i5 6600K - right now @4.2GHz 1.25V what under load gives ~1.2V ( BIOS issues and no LLC to adjust it )
- MSI Z170I Gaming Pro AC - the cheapest Z170 ITX board which overclocks good and has no voltage limits, memory boots up at 4000+ in dual channel but I have no good kit to stabilize it ( memory clock about as good as on ROG mobos ), MSI tested it with DDR4-4166+ kits. ASRock ITX died in couple of hours so I decided to check MSI which was also ~30% cheaper
- Gigabyte GTX960 ITX@ stock - can probably go higher, I was benching this card @1700MHz+ on water on totally modified BIOS ( it has 1x6 pin power connector so needed modified pcie rail settings )

Yesterday was already late ( like 1:30 am my time ) but I've checked it in 3DMark and 15 mins load in XTU. Max temps in 3DMark FS Ultra ~45*C on GPU , ~55*C on CPU. Max in XTU ~62*C on CPU. I think I can set CPU a bit higher and GPU probably can make 100-150MHz more at the same voltage but I'm not sure what about vrm and other things as there is only one small heatsink and no good airflow. I will probably set temp/power limit in AB and leave it at stock clocks as it's enough for all games I'm playing.

Since I used most older parts then it cost me ~$100 for wires, fan and the case.

OK, sorry missed that post. So you're looking at roughly 210W +OC. You're getting some great temps from that little set-up it seems. The main reason I'm curious is I'm hoping to build a similar set-up from older parts for my HTGPC and I keep running out of rad space too.

I had my gaming pc in large full atx case ... when inside was matx board and single ssd. One of reasons to build it was to make it smaller and lighter. It's not perfect but I'm starting to be satisfied. Still have to test temps under longer load but even at lower clocks it will be good enough.
I just hope that MSI fix BIOS. Right now there is huge vdroop and no LLC options. They fixed all other issues in new version but added that vdroop. To run 4.2GHz I have to set 1.25V what under load is 1.20V. It's still the best ITX board on the market for DDR4 overclocking :D

I had my gaming pc in large full atx case ... when inside was matx board and single ssd. One of reasons to build it was to make it smaller and lighter. It's not perfect but I'm starting to be satisfied. Still have to test temps under longer load but even at lower clocks it will be good enough.
I just hope that MSI fix BIOS. Right now there is huge vdroop and no LLC options. They fixed all other issues in new version but added that vdroop. To run 4.2GHz I have to set 1.25V what under load is 1.20V. It's still the best ITX board on the market for DDR4 overclocking :D

This is what happened with me moving to the Hadron Air. Looked inside and thought "one SSD, one GPU" so down the size went.

Blaylock, if you're wanting to WC and have a small HTPC, a Hadron Hydro would be a good idea.

The Hadron H2O is getting serious consideration but so is building my first true custom case. I've been acquiring the tools needed to do this for a little while now and the last thing I need to get is a sheet metal break. Well, a CNC machine would be nice to buuuuuut. Our local High School has a CNC machine and I'm going to look into seeing if they'll cut my panels out as a class project. My boys no the teacher well as they've had a few classes with him. :fingers crossed:

This is what happened with me moving to the Hadron Air. Looked inside and thought "one SSD, one GPU" so down the size went.

Blaylock, if you're wanting to WC and have a small HTPC, a Hadron Hydro would be a good idea.

My last case - Phanteks Enthoo, still has protective foil on the window and I have it for nearly a year. I will give it to my brother who needs more space. He is running 5820K/RVE and will probably put there 4x2TB HDD. Great case but simply too big for my needs.

I was building my cases 2 or 3 times but now I have no time and no access to all tools I will need to make it as good as I wish. Also after calculating all costs, it will be too much. I'd rather buy one more memory kit :p

Wow your local HS so much better equipped than mine.
>.> the shop class I took........Vietnam war era radial arm saw *with no brake,* drill presses from again, Vietnam War....
I know much more about woodworking than metal fab, so my first custom case, will likely be........wood.

Wonder how that would work out.....A watercooled system, in a wood case....*just got an idea for a Zen chassis*

Wow your local HS so much better equipped than mine.
>.> the shop class I took........Vietnam war era radial arm saw *with no brake,* drill presses from again, Vietnam War....
I know much more about woodworking than metal fab, so my first custom case, will likely be........wood.

Wonder how that would work out.....A watercooled system, in a wood case....*just got an idea for a Zen chassis*

Ya they definitely put allot of money into these schools. That's good to a certain point. I feel they forget the importance of good teachers though and rely to much on technology these days. but that's another subject.

Water and wood go together well (Better that water and electricity). Here's my bencher when not going sub zero (read daily driver).

Back