• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Show off your hardware. New toys, old toys, current victims of hardware abuse.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey made top 5 this month!...So is Win8.1 good for anything besides firestrike?
I have a spare WD640 AAk what should I load up to bench next on this rig?

Windows 8 isn't legal for anything on hwbot. It gives bugged scores.

3DM06 and newer only ( while 06 is already unsupported ).
Looks like Win8 is good almost only on nvidia 9 series gfx cards or maybe I just see no difference on older series. Maybe it will change in newer drivers for other cards too but I don't think that manufacturers will try to improve performance of older cards.

Just got an Asus Rampage II Extreme in earlier this week.

Had some bent pins in the socket (quite a few), which I fixed.

And then there's this odd thing on the backside that looks like some traces short-circuited or caught fire or something (?) and kind of melted the backside a bit. That I haven't been able to fix.

Also, it looked like the top USB port module caught fire (or something that was plugged in caught fire). But strangely enough the top USB/PS/2 jack seems to be in perfect working order (I was using a PS/2 keyboard for setup in the BIOS).

Frankly, it was in such poor condition when I received it that I was going to be amazed if it even turned on (once I'd repaired the socket damage). To my utter shock though, it made it past POST (once I'd reconfigured the jumpers, since some were in the wrong positions, and figured out I needed the RAM in the Blue slots (channel 1) and not the White slots (channel 2)) and I am able to get into the BIOS and configure the settings.

The only problem I've discovered so far is that the bottom USB ports on the back plate don't seem to work. Other than that it seems to be stable, melting on the backside and all.

Socket before repairs:

Socket after repairs:

General board pictures:

Enjoy it while you can. After seeing that burned spot on the back, it's on borrowed time.

Enjoy it while you can. After seeing that burned spot on the back, it's on borrowed time.

Yeah, I've no doubt that it won't last long. No misconceptions here.

I don't know if it was struck by lightning or what, but the backside definitely doesn't look good. It's melted the silicon all the way down to one of the layers of copper.

I wasn't sure just how bad the damage on the back was when I bought it. The seller just said something about they'd gotten the board out of a dead PC a customer wanted to get rid of since they couldn't get it running and didn't want to pay to fix it, and that there was some odd melting on the backside of the board.

I don't know why every time I buy an Asus ROG-series board it's either dead or dying. Either I've got terrible luck with buying ROG boards or they're just really fragile and break a lot.

I feel the same way about a lot of the good Asus boards. Example: I'm on my 4th P4C800-E board. :p

Hope to have time to give this setup a go under the cascade this weekend.

Attachments

• new.jpg
    new.jpg
    706.6 KB · Views: 112
Nice one F_S. I just picked one of those 3258's up on the weekend. Looks like a nice CPU.

I've noticed some of these chips will instantly die at high voltages ( 1.7V+ ) so watch out. At least pentiums are quite cheap but my 4790K wasn't :-/. My pentium didn't die but is so degraded it can't run any stability test @4GHZ 1.3V and that's only after 2 sessions on ss and one short on dice.

Rockin it Stefan, nice work man ........... :thup:

you will pick up on this quickly.

Here is some 4850 action from yesterday, card is a total POS though :(

Have a tiny bit of juice left may try again today or tomorrow

Attachments

• 4850.jpg
    4850.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Nice one F_S. I just picked one of those 3258's up on the weekend. Looks like a nice CPU.
Sweet! Definitely a fun little chip and as it's the fastest (?) dual-core it'll give you some globals!

I've noticed some of these chips will instantly die at high voltages ( 1.7V+ ) so watch out. At least pentiums are quite cheap but my 4790K wasn't :-/. My pentium didn't die but is so degraded it can't run any stability test @4GHz 1.3V and that's only after 2 sessions on ss and one short on dice.
Thanks Woomack...will definitely try to be careful. Other than the 2D's, want to use this chip for all the older 3D's so hoping I can make it last a while.

Rockin it Stefan, nice work man ........... :thup:

you will pick up on this quickly.

Here is some 4850 action from yesterday, card is a total POS though :(

Have a tiny bit of juice left may try again today or tomorrow

Thanks B! Can't see the pic but am sure that card would do fine with some mad mods. You any good with that kinda stuff? We've got a couple resident folks who could take care of that for ya'. May as well beat the snot out of it before moving on to the next hehe

Back