• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Gaming HeadPHONES

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chuggowitz

Hi guys, I'm in the market for a new headset (my ASUS Vulcan's earcups are starting to seperate :( ), however I was thinking of getting a decent set of cans and pairing it with something like the Blue Snowball instead, so that I at least have some headphones I can use outside of the house (or even around the house, for that matter).

Now, I work at Best Buy Canada, so I'm aiming to get something from there(or futureshop [for obvious discount reasons]) and I'm really not quite sure what to get. We seem to carry some fairly decent headphones from Sony and Sennheiser (and the usual beats/monster stuff as well).

I've been looking into a few:

The Sony MDR10RNC. I would really prefer the non ANC one's, but unfortunately we don't carry them.

The Sennheiser Momentum's

And the Sennheiser HD6's

I'm currently leaning towards either the MDR10's or the Momentum's, based mostly on the fact that I can actually try them out at my store. I'm pretty hesitant to buy anything without being able to try them, since once headphones are opened BestBuy is legally unable to return them if there is no defect (Canadian Hygene Laws, wonderful, huh?). Also, the Sony's are sort of appealing for travel, since they don't look to goofy and having a decent set of noise cancelling headphone's for travelling is a god send. Also, the price gap with my discount between the momentum's/MDR10's and the HD6's is proportional to their regular price (I.E., substantial)

Obviously there are some options from Audio Technica(do I really want monitor headphones...?) and Koss, but again, these headphones are not available to test.

Comfort is kind of a key factor here, as these will probably be worn for multiple hours at a time (2+, easy). I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the 3 sets I mentioned initially, or if you think there would be a better option (there are quite a few pairs of beats and monster's, but frankly I'd rather run myself through with a sword).

There's no real set budget, since (as I mentioned) my discount will shave quite a bit off of the cost.

Any input would be greatly appreciated guys :)

My advice, is if you are set on the Senn Momentums and Sony MDR10's, test both out and see which you prefer more. I myself prefer the Senn sound signature over the Sony, but, the MDR10 are quite good too. The biggest difference if I had to pick and pry would be the build quality, the Sennheisers would offer better in that department.

For GAMING, I would want something OPEN, not closed cans. My personal favorites being the Sennheiser HD600 and Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm (these are my primary pair when gaming).

Sennheiser HD6's will probably be quite BASSy for everyday headphones. They look like the DJ headphones I tried yesterday.
I would take a look at HD598s if having open headphones isn't out of the question. They are ugly but sounded very nice with Lumia 930 and they won't cost a fortune.
If you want to have good headphones you should try DT990's and HD600/650's
For on the go headphones HD6xx and DT990 will be overkill.

Stick with stand alone headphones made for music. They'll be far cheaper and far better sounding than any gaming headset you can find. I've found Sennheiser earbuds give the best result for me, and use a separate condensor mic on a desk stand for TeamSpeak. ;)

Back