• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 980 thoughts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Even if the 980 gets crushed by a card after it . Amds 290x is definitely falling behind.
780 ti is still king and its prices will surely drop . I am not going to be too quick to judge what the 980 could do so I'll just wait until Linus tech tips or ncix give it a review :D

Looks solid but I want more horsepower. Maybe something like a 980 ti . The technology and tdp are interesting but I'm disappointed that the 780 ti still outperforms it . What would you buy . 780 ti for 550 or just pay the same for a 980

NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-980-and-GeForce-GTX-970-3DMark-Firestrike-Performance-635x599.png

I think I'll be waiting for next gen.

Where in the world did they pull this crap from? So they are going to say that 2-980s are just barely above 2CFX 290s (at reference if you look at the clock speeds) but only fall behind a little with r9-295x and they didnt even show any 290x in the graph at all. I think they are trying to fluff some numbers here to keep the fanboys interested. Get a 780ti or a 290x and I bet they will be the exact same performance on release date.

Who even owns a r9-290 with a clock @947mhz? Bitcoin miners? 549x2=1,000 for SLI 980 or 430x2=860 for CFX 290 Vapor x which is a very good card and can overclock like a champ. Or are we just trying to say that a Classified 980 is the same as a reference 290x?

Last edited:
Buying today, no reason not to go with the 980. More vram, same/faster performance, cheaper price, and lower power consumption. It's a win on all fronts. I'm personally pretty impressed with the 970 though, that 329 price is better than I would have expected from nvidia. And I hope it drives down the price of the 290 because I think I might just go trifire and wait for 20nm.

Nvidia said something about optimized data compression that's why they think that 256b bus is enough and we actually see that in benchmarks/games. Results are pretty good especially for GTX970. For gaming 2x 970 will be better option than 1x 980 while price won't be so much higher.
I was expecting to see mainly reference cards from new series but all GTX970 that I saw are non-reference but with similar to reference design on a larger PCB ( like EVGA SC ). GTX980 will be probably only reference for some time.

Where in the world did they pull this crap from? So they are going to say that 2-980s are just barely above 2CFX 290s (at reference if you look at the clock speeds) but only fall behind a little with r9-295x and they didnt even show any 290x in the graph at all. I think they are trying to fluff some numbers here to keep the fanboys interested. Get a 780ti or a 290x and I bet they will be the exact same performance on release date.

Who even owns a r9-290 with a clock @947mhz? Bitcoin miners? 549x2=1,000 for SLI 980 or 430x2=860 for CFX 290 Vapor x which is a very good card and can overclock like a champ. Or are we just trying to say that a Classified 980 is the same as a reference 290x?

If you didn't look carefully enough, there are 2 290x cards on the graph.... Of which one running in normal and one running in "Uber" I believe.

Also, it's reference to reference... Why on earth would they compare a brand new reference card with a Sapphire factory clocked card? That would be like me posting results of a 780 Ti decimating a 290X and blowing it to smitherings with the 780 Ti being a Classified clocking beast and the 290X being a reference with no overclock. It's a bit biased to say otherwise now isn't it? If it's reference vs reference the whole point is showing off their STOCK performance.

While AMD hasn't gone above the 780 Ti quite yet for single gpu, I have a feeling we will soon see a strike back at that crown very soon. It never ceases to amaze me since the 7 series cards how much AMD has really been pushing the performance to give NV a run for their money. Now let's just hope both camps keep pricing reasonable -.- I'm not a fan of the NV price gouging.

Last edited:
If you didn't look carefully enough, there are 2 290x cards on the graph.... Of which one running in normal and one running in "Uber" I believe.

Also, it's reference to reference... Why on earth would they compare a brand new reference card with a Sapphire factory clocked card? That would be like me posting results of a 780 Ti decimating a 290X and blowing it to smitherings with the 780 Ti being a Classified clocking beast and the 290X being a reference with no overclock. It's a bit biased to say otherwise now isn't it? If it's reference vs reference the whole point is showing off their STOCK performance.

While AMD hasn't gone above the 780 Ti quite yet for single gpu, I have a feeling we will soon see a strike back at that crown very soon. It never ceases to amaze me since the 7 series cards how much AMD has really been pushing the performance to give NV a run for their money. Now let's just hope both camps keep pricing reasonable -.- I'm not a fan of the NV price gouging.

Could say that its Reference to reference. But looking at the chart. It shows 2- 290s in CFX at stock 947clock vs the 980s OC to 1178mhz. The issue i see there is that its not Apple to Apple. They OC there cards and say, "Hey we are betterer" when the comparison is not even there card is not "stock". Show 2 290x's (in CFX + they dont need a bridge) and OC them to a decent OC and then see a Direct comparison. I love AMD not gonna lie. But thats because for Price/Performance and bundles AMD offers more and NV dosent really compare. With that idea i could sightly OC some 290s and get the Exact performance as there SLI 980s. Just saying. But there energy consumption is Awesome 135w per card (something like that) is pretty good.

Do I want a gtx 980? HECK YES I DO! but give me real statistics and not the bait n switch to convince people. IT better come with free games and not the "its price is low so we cannot offer free stuff" B.S we see. 3 free games worth a darn and a Good gpu is a great selling point. My wifes computer needs to get a upgrade from the hd 7850 1gig it has now.

Now the 970 is shaping up to be a pretty awesome card. $330 for next gen and its pretty powerful to boot. Thats a well spent $330. might just pick up a 970 as the wife will never use a 980 to its true potential. Pretty upset that i got a Sapphire Vapor-X 290 about 2 months ago. I was waiting and waiting for the gtx 9xx to release. But i guess ill just OC for now and add a 2nd card when prices drop. Gives me a good reason to upgrade from a i5-2500k and a p8z77 to a i7-4790k and a z97 board. ;D

What ever AMD is planning to do, I dont expect them to jump the gun just yet. I think they are going to wait for the gtx 980ti to come out and then Try to approace that performance for cheaper, maybe undercut the price by 150-200,even if its 5% slower then the 980ti it will be much more worth it as 150-200 to most people is not worth the 5% gain.

Just as the Gtx 780 was 600-700 the r9-290 released at $400 and performance was on par. Gtx 780ti was 700-900 and the r9-290x released at $500 and performance is close. We wont talk about Titan or Titan Z as we all know those are more jokes then actual GPU for gaming use. Ill take a 5-10% performance loss for 200-300 savings. Only way for AMD to keep up is to keep doing what they are doing. Next gen r9-390x for $500 release and r9-390 for $400 and we are sitting in the same boat as we were 6 months ago. I want to see something Stupid like a 3GPU single PCB card. That would be the most EPIC thing ever. Price would be super outrageous.

Last edited:
Could say that its Reference to reference. But looking at the chart. It shows 2- 290s in CFX at stock 947clock vs the 980s OC to 1178mhz.

What I was getting at really is that the 290X that is shown on that graph sits at 1050 clocks vs the 980's 1124 clocks and there's still a decent improvement (at least according to this chart, we all know how charts can be :p ). I'm comparing the 290X vs the 980 on the chart, not the 290 in CF.

Overall it seems pretty solid.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review/22

Not quite a 290X or 780 Ti killer as we already knew anyway, but from current performance, it's looking good. I will sadly have to pass up on this one though, not quite worth an upgrade for me. Perhaps the 980 Ti is where nV will make their money from me, or maybe AMD's counter.

Likewise. Besides I am getting my paycheck this Tuesday and it's going to be about 560$ . I think I'll pass on the 980 as I have other bills . I'll just pick up a 400 $ 780 . Even cheaper if I get lucky

Maybe I wasn't clear... THIS IS NORMAL. :)

The 980ti (or whatever the name is... its ALL rumors at this point) should easily best the 780ti and use less/same amount of power in doing so.

This. As most of us are looking for the best of the best in our rigs, don't be tempted to pick these up yet. The flagship will come very soon and you'll be drolling all over again :p For me, and being all about the 4k eye candy... these 2 new offerings, even in SLI definitely won't help me enough. The next release (in SLI/XFire) I think will do it.

Cheers

Back