• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 980 thoughts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
no doubt...especially when you consider it's current performance with the existing bandwidth. ;)

It is already fast . but it can be made faster . the 980 is fast . but considering i had a 780 before i want an upgrade worth picking . and the 980 doesnt quite cut it .
I just hope they dont release an 800 $ card just like they did with the 780 ti last year

Lol, they will. Next gen cards don't barely beat what they replace.

That said, I don't see bandwidth as an issue here. ;)

780Ti release was couple of months after GTX780. I mean with availablility in stores it took them about 4-5 months. I bet the same will be with 980Ti or whatever it will be called.
Right now GTX970 seems great option but most cards available on the market are not really overclocker friendly, or at least are not convincing me.
It looks like it was more like 6 months between actual card availability(780 to 780Ti).

I'm considering one of these but the % gain only seems to be a tiny bit in some games for some reason. then another game gets like 50% better frame rates than my 780. it looks a bit random. maybe the time to upgrade is when skylake and the real nvidia top card come out. should be a solid boost all around. the again dual 970's seems pretty good. damn upgraditis. can't decide.

edit: ok 25-30% is actually a pretty good increase over a 780 and some of the new features seem cool. damn it i think i have to.

Last edited:
mother of god will you look at that oc headroom. an oc'd 980 is like...50% better than a stock speed gtx 780 at the resolution i use
gtx 980 oc.JPG

Well I've had my 780 Ti since February, so I'll wait... however if I was buying new today I would probably do 970 SLI and call it a day.

That is a significant amount of performance for not too much more money than the 980. I'm thoroughly impressed by nvidia's new releases and pricing

Yeah, I'm glad I got good deals on the 290 and 280x I recently bought used. I'm sure used prices are gonna stop across the board.

Yeah if I was paying more attention I would have grabbed some 290's for cheap. Now I'll wait around and see what happens... I still think this card is overkill for me... I really only play League of Legends!

I got my 980 today. I m very impressed. AMD will be facing a serious smackdown i fear.

High amounts of AA require large amounts of memory bandwidth -- even at relatively low resolutions, especially super-sampling AA.

True Magellan...a bit random, but true.

SSAA isn't really used a lot...because it's such a massive resource hog. MSAA and TXAA are most common and use quite a bit less resources both memory/bandwidth wise and horsepower in general.

256 bit is plenty on 1080p/2560x1440/1600 and even three monitors. It gets a bit hairy at 4k, however at 4k you need a lot less AA in the first place.

I've seen this video by a famous you tuber where he runs crysis 3 at 7680x1440 on two 780s and he mentioned that there are jaggies here and there which tells me that even at a high res like that aa is still needed . But maybe 2x is enough for a res like that

0x vs 2x/4x, I can see a difference.

I'm sure there is some distinction between 2 and 4, I just don't think it's worth the frame rate hit. Stuff like this is pretty subjective, though.

Back