• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 980 thoughts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
im sure ill drool over the 980ti but I wont be dropping dollars on that. I think id rather spend 700 on 2 cards in sli...

This. As most of us are looking for the best of the best in our rigs, don't be tempted to pick these up yet. The flagship will come very soon and you'll be drolling all over again :p For me, and being all about the 4k eye candy... these 2 new offerings, even in SLI definitely won't help me enough. The next release (in SLI/XFire) I think will do it.

Cheers

780Ti release was couple of months after GTX780. I mean with availablility in stores it took them about 4-5 months. I bet the same will be with 980Ti or whatever it will be called.
Right now GTX970 seems great option but most cards available on the market are not really overclocker friendly, or at least are not convincing me.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-970-maxwell,3941.html

Avg-Perf-1080.png

I thought there was more distance than that between the 290 and 290x? I thought it was closer to 10-15%?

So far GTX970 Strix have one of the worse OC result in reviews. Also there is only 1x 8 pin power what means max 225W. Still better PCB design than any EVGA GTX970.
I haven't seen GTX980 Strix PCB and power section yet.

I saw this today:
http://www.techpowerup.com/205444/e...ak-new-records-with-evga-geforce-gtx-980.html
but I can't believe they made it without many modifications and additional power section as this card is FTW = like reference on longer PCB

Right now best looking GTX970 is Gigabyte or MSI Gaming. Best looking GTX980 is Gigabyte. I mean what is under the cooler as I don't care about cooler at all. MSI makes me mad again with warranty stickers so I won't buy it for sure.
I haven't seen all cards and I mainly focus on GTX970 as I just sold GTX780 so maybe will just get one, still thinking.

No don't. Wait for the flagship cards to be released. The 970 is more of a downgrade than upgrade compare to the 780 . The 980 is averaging only a few frames above the 780 at 2k

I think that flagship cards will be in 3-4 months and will still cost 2x more than GTX970. I have really limited budget but if in couple of months will be any good non-reference 980Ti then I can lose less selling GTX970 than GTX780 , not to mention GTX980. In last 5 days price for GTX780 on local auctions dropped by about 30%.
I'm just thinking to get good GTX970 in the same price as I got for GTX780.
Btw I'm playing games on GTX580 running on stock :p

Insane clocks for a reference design

Can't join the party unfortunately as I am broke just upgrading my platform. Will be chilling for the GTX980Ti Lightning/KPE editions

Yeah I had a friend get 2 of the EVGA 980's for a SLI set up, he was telling me its been a very expensive day, and he isn't telling the wife, lol.

Note to self, never bring up car part or computer part purchases to wife.

Note to self, never bring up car part or computer part purchases to wife.

When making said purchases, make sure to buy something for the wife. It helps to divert her attention, trust me I know.

The general bandwidth of the card . The cache helps the 256 bit bus but I can't deny that 244 gb/s is slower than the 780 and 780 ti. I'm sure there are many different factors that determine how well a card performs

The general bandwidth of the card . The cache helps the 256 bit bus but I can't deny that 244 gb/s is slower than the 780 and 780 ti. I'm sure there are many different factors that determine how well a card performs
no doubt...especially when you consider it's current performance with the existing bandwidth. ;)

Back